Thread: storm swim shad for halibut

Default storm swim shad for halibut

has anybody used a storm wideeyed swiw shad to jig for halibut ?

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag View Post
    has anybody used a storm wideeyed swiw shad to jig for halibut ?
    I haven't use the Storm brand, but have had phenomenal results using Berkley Gulp brand herring and cut bait. The Storm brand products never appealed to me because they are simple plastic/rubber without much attractant. They Gulp brand sits in a nasty sauce that seems to throw out quite the scent trail. Take a look at them if you are in the market for synthetic baits. I swear by them.

Default Storm

I have used them....they are good but light weight. I like them with 6 - 12 pound test for halibut.

Check the photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

I havent tired them, but I have taken a big scampi tail on a double hook rig (I think it was tied on 120lbs cant remember without looking, mooching rig style, top hook being a slider), rigged with a herring and have HAMMERED some quite large slimerockets, triple digits and high double digit fish not at all uncommon. I dont see why they wouldnt work without some kind of scent.

Just becareful tossing the mooching rig down with chickens and other fish around, you'll hook **** near everything. When a big one comes in and you cant stickm...this lil trick usually nails them when nothing else does!!!

oh, dont forget a spreader bar, the big one. It'll save you grief of cutting off if you should wrap the leader around your main line due to dropping to fast.

They'd definatly be a killer for lings!!!

I use the heck out of them, but they're really light, even the 8" Bunker model. Also a little tender, so it's good to track down the repair material since they're spendy. The 5" model is our favorite. Or at least I think it's 5". It's the size that comes 3 to a pack. The smaller ones that are 5 to a pack are just fine, but you'll catch lots more of everything else, too.

Best for us is to use them in stout current as a dropper, so you can use the heavier weight to get them down, then basically let them sit on the bottom while the current makes them swim. We've smacked more than a few king salmon while fishing halibut that way. If the bottom is smooth enough to allow trolling with a downrigger close to bottom, try trolling them. Holy cow.

I haven't used them, but you can get shad tails at B&J and put them on whatever weight leadhead you prefer.