Thread: Saw a bull yesterday..

Default Saw a bull yesterday..

I saw a smaller bull moose yesterday, still had his antlers on. It had tiny paddles with 4 points each. I thought moose would have dropped by now?

They have started for sure, I saw one saturday with just one side left and he was grouped up with about 8 cows.
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Ty, where was it? I saw a small paddle horn bull, last weekend, out in the flats just before the hill going up to Mystery Creek road.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

My girlfriend saw one in a big lake neighborhood today with a 50"+ rack.

Don't know how they fall up there but here in Maine they start falling about the end of December and continue to fall into March. Usually the big ones go first the the smaller later. I go searching for them every year and usually the week around the 9th of January they seem to fall off the most. Just an observation.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

Default just my thoughts

My buddy shot his bull on Ft Rich last week, didn't have his antlers

Default Interesting

I saw one on Turnagain arm about 35" also with horns on Friday with a bunch of cows. I thought it was extremely rare this late but if other people are seeing similar sized moose with their horns in January now I wonder if smaller moose keep their antlers later than the bigger ones. Just a thought.

Big Moose should shed first. The antlers weigh more and there is more force to break them off. Read this somewhere and it makes sense. Saw a couple of bull moose with antlers last weekend. Most were 30" or smaller.

He was a smallish bull, with 2 cows, hanging out at the gun club.

I was surprised to see a similar small bull between Soldotna and Sterling just a couple of days ago. I followed him down the road for about 1/4 mile before he decided to step into the deep stuff . . .

Default Bulls

Saw 5 bulls last weekend when riding, ALL with antlers! Moose were grouped up and one posse had 3 bulls that were shooters! Going out this next weekend see if any of them dropped their antlers... Makes one's neck swell a bit and long for fall hunting...

Default Still around

A buddy of mine arrowed a 45" bull on base a little over a week ago with both antlers intact! And my wife works at a school on base and said several teachers told her there was a huge bull on the playground towards the end of the day Thursday. Not sure how big huge is to a group of teachers though!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    A buddy of mine arrowed a 45" bull on base a little over a week ago with both antlers intact! My wife works at a school on base and said several teachers told her there was a huge bull on the playground towards the end of the day. Not sure how big huge is to a group of teachers though!
    Easy there photo guy... teachers hunt too. :-) Although the new school calendar makes it harder to get out.

16 years in the classroom and a lifetime in the woods.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3