Thread: Ferry to Kodiak from Homer

Default Ferry to Kodiak from Homer

I was thinking about loading the truck up in the fall and heading over to Kodiak on the Ferry to chase a few late season silvers or maybe explore some steelhead opportunities. I would be camping were I end up that day or I could even get a hotel or B&B if so advised.

If anyone is willing to give a few pointers what I am wondering is if it would worth it to take the truck and explore the road system as far as finding a river that might have a few steelies or late season silvers in it? I do not have a firm time table that I would like to do this but it would around late October I am guessing.

Any information would really be appreciated. I've lived in South Central Alaska pretty much my entire life and believe it or not I have never been to Kodiak.

Default Yes

In my opinion, Absolutely, worth it to bring the truck and explore away,
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Lifetime experience...

Do not let it pass you by.
    Your truck wil bring you to many destinations.
    October fishing can be superlative if you catch the weather...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

I rode the Tusty to Kodiak In the early 80's but never took a vehicle. It was a super long trip I do remember that. Now I'm curious about what it costs now days. guess I'll swing over to the marine hwy site and check it out

With one person and a car it is under $200 a day. I thought that I saw the price at $175 and with a second person the charge was another $75. This is a ballpark figure that I got so do not hold me to the exact amount. But, if the price is close to $225 for a rig and two people that makes it a pretty doable weekend trip in my mind.
    I will do some research and even check on the book that Bernard recommended but what are some of the rivers that you can reach by the road system? American?Olds? Buskin? Karluk?

Default Reachable...

There are plenty of opportunities via the road system. With almost 100 miles worth of access, you can reach the major players in terms of rivers, creeks, bays, ponds, and lakes.

The major exception is Saltery, which you'll have to ATV into if bring along your own ATV, or are local, own your own 4WD, conditions are right, and you one heck of a fearless, fortunate, and hotshot driver over rough terrain.

The Karluk River is not in the community of Kodiak; that's a fly-in near Larsen Bay and the settlement of Karluk.

The ferry is great value value if you have the time and vehicle. If I was mainland AK, I definetly would not miss the opportunity for this one great road trip...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

I would highly recommend it. I did it once, but unfortunately my planning was a bit off and missed the good fishing. But if you are there when the fishing is hot there are plenty of road accessible places to fish.

Default zodiac

would it be worth rolling up the zodiac and putting it in the back of the truck to explore while down there?

I did this a couple of years ago, it was a great time, and great fishing.

Bring along a little bigger fishing gear (heavier line). The Silvers were bigger and the current is stronger that the streams I fish in the Valley.

The road system allowed for a lot of places to fish and the crowds were not bad. We even had a few of the stream to ourselves.

I would expect you will see a lot of Pinks there this year.

I've been to Kodiak twice, and we brought the truck both times. Didn't get any fishing in as we were booked up with other activities.

Everybody should visit Kodiak at least once, and it's definately worth bringing a vehicle. Having an inflatable would be useful in some areas.

Default Yes on Zodiac also

Bullelkklr, Yes Definitely bring the Zodiac

A truck on the road system is a good start but it is water country and it opens Massive opportunity to have a skiff along and in my opinion, Zodiac is the absolute killer rig for exploring Kodiak area
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Would it be more productive to ferry to Larsen Bay and fish out of there w/ a small boat? Is the marine weather a huge issue out of Kodiak? How far do you need to run from the harbor to get into good fishing?
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Not too Far

You won't be able to Ferry into Larsen Bay, down by Karluk, Maybe you could throw your Zodiac on someone's boat to get down there, might be good if you wanted to Deer hunt.

You don't have to go that far tho, I'd say put your Zodiac in at the Kodiak Harbor, just off the Ferry and you will be in good fishing in about 20 minutes. There is a lot of somewhat protected water access to areas all over the NE end of the island before you go around the corner at Cape Chiniak, or out into the Shelikof Strait. Those points are where the weather starts to really factor in especially in October but you should be able to do a LOT of fishing within minutes to a few hours from Kodiak

I'd say in October the weather is a Huge Factor and seriously not to be messed with (either Shelikof or Chiniak and beyond) unless you are very experienced skiffman,

won't have to do that though to get plenty fishing time in nearer town

Also you might try to get here a little earlier than late October for both fish and weather, if that's possible

Just read that the trusty tusty is out of commission due to a water leak into it's fuel tank, and they don't know how long it'll be out of service.

Smile dont forget the Kennicott

Yes the Tusty is currently out of service, but the Kennicott is filling in. As a matter of fact the Kennicott will be serving Kodiak all summer and fall. She can't fit under the bridge so ties up at the Com fish terminal (by Horizon lines). The run from Homer to Kodiak is about 8.5 hrs for the Kenny, 9 to 10 if the weather is real crappy (20ft seas or larger).

I remember riding the 'ol trusty tusty to a high school bball tourny. There was a monstrous swell in the ocean the boys team, the girls team, the cheerleaders, moms and dads and brothers and sisters.. makes me queazy reminiscing. The entire manifest of passengers and crew were projectile vomiting, When we finally got in marmot bay they ordered everybody topside to the galley and broke out the fire hoses and completely doused the whole ship it was crazy lol

The Tustamena has also rescued its share of unfortunate mariners