Thread: Shrimping Etiquette

Default Shrimping Etiquette

I am fairly new to placing Shrimp pots in PWS. If someone is placing pots in the same area you are, how much distance do you think should be between sets?
    Fish fear me, My wife don't.

You'll need to give them quite a bit of distance, 100 yards as a bare minimum. The reason for this is because people often run chains of 5 pots (8 this year) all on the same line. This can run a span of over 800 feet across the bottom. If you happen to lay your pots over their chain, it'll make for quite the mess. PWS is huge, so if I happen to see buoys in my usual spots, I take it as a sign that I need to prospect elsewhere. I have found some of my best spots due to not being able to lay my pots in my usual areas. Don't be that guy that has his buoy right next to mine. I hate that guy...

I can't tell you because I just have to kind of eyeball it to know. Keep in mind that if you're too close and upwind or upcurrent of other pots that when you go to pull yours you don't want to drift over someone else's post and get tangled. When you're busy with the business of pulling pots, it's easy to get distracted and not realize that you're about to run into someone else's buoy.

Something else to keep in mind. Not everyone has a nice pot puller! I only shrimp once or twice a year and haven't talked my wife into the expance yet. I set my pot in an area where I'm the only one because I use the old anchor pull method to retreive my pots. I use a lot of room and pull in a long arc (towards deeper water) to keep tension on my buoy. Nothing worse than waking up and finding some SOB set right on top of me.
    So I guess my message is this, just because you leave yourself plenty of room to fish your gear doesn't mean your leaving the other guy room to fish his. The sound is pretty big their is room for everyone, no need to stack pots on top of others.

To a certian extent, I believe stacking occurs when someone is new to an area and the old "theres a buoy, must be shrimp here" mindset comes to play. Others have offered thoughts on possible lengths of strings and if a fellow has a doubt what that might look like check out a football field sometime. I'm of the opinion you need 3 of these as your never sure what the other guy is fishing or how his string is lain. Some go from deep to shallow, some go the opposite and I choose to run parallel to the shore!
    Another factor I've noticed is that folks tend to shrimp in areas close to their favorite anchorages, I do. In this case there are probably plenty of other buoys in the area but at least it's folks you see there regularly and who operate around each other quite well.
    My thoughts on the subject!
    Mike

all you need is 5/16" just enough room for the rope to squeeeze in. like we used to say in the lobstah biz "pull the shades down and let'em go"

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692