Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seward July Saltwater Fishing

Lightbulb Seward July Saltwater Fishing

My parents are coming up in July. My dad really loves Seward, so I am going to rent a boat from Ft. Richardson for a couple of days and fish in the bay. Looks like we will be fishing for silvers, halibut, and some kings. My question, how do you read the tide table for the best days to fish? I always get the book where it shows the fish off to the side, did not this year. Bigger fish, better fishing. Where can I get a tide book? I live in Chugiak. How many boat launches does Seward have? Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Mr. G
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    My parents are coming up in July. My dad really loves Seward, so I am going to rent a boat from Ft. Richardson for a couple of days and fish in the bay. Looks like we will be fishing for silvers, halibut, and some kings. My question, how do you read the tide table for the best days to fish? I always get the book where it shows the fish off to the side, did not this year. Bigger fish, better fishing. Where can I get a tide book? I live in Chugiak. How many boat launches does Seward have? Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Mr. G
    Mr G.

I have spent the last 20 fishing seasons trying to figure out when the best tide is going to occur for each of the species you are trying to catch in Seward. I can tell you some certainty that you can disregard the little fish on the side of the tide book for Seward. You will be best off coming down, asking around about where the fish are being caught and then look for the nicest days to go out in the boat. If you search this forum, especially reports that I have posted over the years, you can get a fairly good idea of where and when the fish are goiing to start biting in the bay.

Good luck on your trip.

Default Mr G

AKCAPT, tells you how it is... and could not be said better. Keep an eye on this link and he, me and many others will be telling were and what are being caught at that time. Last year July 4th weekend was the hottest weekend for silvers in my opinion. Year before last, the end of July so you just never really know.

Good luck.
    Tony

Thanks for your time guys. I'll do a search and see what I can find. I'll post any other questions I come up with!

You can get a tide book just about any place that sells fishing tackle. Many local banks have them as well. As far as which tides or the best time to fish this can vary from day to day but when the water starts moving (either incoming or outgoing) would be a good time to start. It is normal for the tide cycle to start moving around 3 - 3 1/2 hours before the tides listed in the book. For example if the high tide for the morning is listed at 11am then the tide will start in about 8:30am and build up to the high tide slack just before 11am.

I like to look for a tide that will combine a chance to fish early in the morning then followed by a high tide such as a 9 - 11am tide. Gives you a chance to get into a morning bite but then if that isn't happening you can fall back on the incoming tide to help produce a few fish. Everyone, even fish, wake up hungry in the morning.

Mr. G
    Seward has plenty of launches and great parking. You probably won't even have to wait in line any longer than 20 minutes unless it is a sunny weekend day during the silver derby. I pay no attention to the stupid little or big fish in the tide book, the weather is what dictates where and how far I go. However with that said, it is nice to see when the tides are as it is really hard to keep your bait on the bottom with the tide ripping so plan on doing your bottom fishing near slack. If really you miss the little fish in the tide book, the Fish House in Seward normally has the ones with the little fish on the right hand side. I hope this helps

I keep a daily log when I'm out there and write down what the tide is for that day. I have never found any real correlation between what the tide happens to be doing and what's going on with silvers. Sometimes it's better to fish in a particular area at a certain time in the tide swing---say on one side or the other of a point that the tide is flowing around---but I've caught plenty of slivers and at all different times during all different tides.

As other people have said here, if you're out after halibut it can be difficult to keep your bait on the bottom when the tide is really flowing. But some people actually like it when it's like that because they think the halibut can be more aggressive. If you find a good drop off the halibut will sit on the downhill side of the drop off and pick off bait fish coming over the edge.

Default Mr. G

I will be in Seward on the 8th for 6 weeks. PM me before you get here and I can give you the local know. I will be on the water every day I can. You do need to watch for the minus tides, the launch ramps can become a problem on those tides. Ol'Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by smokumreds View Post
    I will be in Seward on the 8th for 6 weeks. PM me before you get here and I can give you the local know. I will be on the water every day I can. You do need to watch for the minus tides, the launch ramps can become a problem on those tides. Ol'Glenn
    I'll do that, thanks for the info.

If I can get away from work and the weather is nice enough to go out and fish, then the tides are good for fishing.

I pretty much ignore the tide tables. The only thing I care about is when the slack tides occur, so I can time when I fish for bottom fish vs. mooching for silvers.

Quote Originally Posted by smokumreds View Post
    He was not kidding on minus tides. On those days, I would try to launch or get back on trailer about 1 hour before each minus tide. Watch the end of the launch. I've seen a few trailers fall off the concrete end and with a marginal truck, you might be there for a while. I check the end of the dock on minus tides when its close with a push/hook. Also, if your Military, the Army Side is much better than the AF side. AF is being remodeled for the next 3 years. Get your reservations in early to get a spot and if you don't get one, keep trying every week for cancelations.

I haven't launched out of Seward in a few years, but I do know that when I was doing it you could have real problems launching at the "in town" launch ramp at a really low minus tide. Especially the right hand lanes. I had a guy actually stop me once and tell me it was better to use the far left hand lane. Don't know if it's still like that, but I thought I'd throw that in.

I didn't know they had Army and Air Force boat launches. I have to reserve to use the Army boat launch?

I didn't know they had Army and Air Force boat launches. I have to reserve to use the Army boat launch?
    I believe he's talking about the rec camps (MWR lodging) there. If you want a place to stay and you're military or otherwise authorized to use the facilities, get the reservations in early. They have an awesome set up for cleaning and packing the catch. The staff is awesome too.

He isn't joking either, Seward has to be one of the only places in the world the Army has nicer facilities than the Air Force.

Not sure if you've rented on base before, but you'll need to take the online boaters safety course (for free) before renting.

Link to safety course. http://www.boatus.org/

Make sure you take the Alaska State course.

Link to Ft. Rich MWR http://www.mwrarmyalaska.com/outdoorrec/recrental.html

Link to the rec camp

http://www.sewardresort.com/

It's always bothered me that a Viet Nam vet don't cut it in terms of using this faculity. However if your the widow of a deceased post master, "come on down"? What part of that don't I understand?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    I believe he's talking about the rec camps (MWR lodging) there. If you want a place to stay and you're military or otherwise authorized to use the facilities, get the reservations in early. They have an awesome set up for cleaning and packing the catch. The staff is awesome too.

He isn't joking either, Seward has to be one of the only places in the world the Army has nicer facilities than the Air Force.

Not sure if you've rented on base before, but you'll need to take the online boaters safety course (for free) before renting.

Link to the rec camp

Yeah, what he said I meant to say.

Its a top notch facility. Great camping, lodge, bar, staff, fish cleaning house with commercial grade vaccum sealers and two walk in freezers. I spend 1/2 my summer there. Make your reservations now if you want to stay there. The Airforce side is going through their major renovations/contruction for 3 years. They are gonna try to surpass the Army Facility. Its gonna take a lot of money to do that. I hope they do, that way its easier to make reservations. The staff is gonna be almost impossible to surpass. They also so do fishing charters but they don't target big fish. They do all right for the size of their operation and its much cheaper. They also give away free trips to campers everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post

The Airforce side is going through their major renovations/contruction for 3 years. They are gonna try to surpass the Army Facility.
    Amazing, after years of running a derelict (for lack of a better term coming to mind) facility, they're gonna try to out do the neighbors?

Amazing, after years of running a derelict (for lack of a better term coming to mind) facility, they're gonna try to out do the neighbors?
    I remember the days of the Quonset huts at Seward Army Recreation. Army Units use to send details for a couple weeks at a time to pick up trash, mow the grass etc... then break to go fishing the rest of the day. Mr. Seabolt ( think that was his name) did wonders for that place.

I took a survey at the Elmendorf outdoor rec about a year ago because I asked what upgrades they were doing. From what I remember It's not going to be anywhere near as nice as the Army side. They wanted to make a day room for around 20 guest and a 6 shower "bath house". The survey didn't say anything about the cabins being rentavated. The log cabin that is there now is going to be torn down and that's where everything is going to built. And the staff on the Army side is way nicer and professional than the Airforce side I think.

Thanks upstream, I did there online boat class a couple of weekends ago. I stayed at the Seward Military Resort in Janurary for snowmachining at Lost Lake. Great place.

Link to the rec camp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast