Thread: Commercial shrimp opener?

Default Commercial shrimp opener?

With Pot builder off at a show, I'm left to my own devices to get the scoop. Tomorrow is Sunday and if I remember right that ends at least the first opener for the commercial guys. I don't imagine they like the rude weather any more then we do. Anybody got anything to toss out as to how it's going / went for them?
    Mike

We were going to go out for Saturday and Sunday, but with 9' seas in the Sound, we decided to bag that idea. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a common choice. I don't know much else, but my father was in Whittier yesterday and reported seeing three boats come into harbor with pots stacked on deck. Draw your own conclusions, but the cost/benefit/risk factors might not have made sense for many.

Hey I'm back!! Great time meeting all those good folks in F'banks. Bet the breezy weather kept a lot of the "now i'm a commercial shrimper" boats tied to the docks I'd bet some of the hard core's were out there hauling gear & mak'in money. Better them than me, i'm getting soft !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Shrimp Openner

I fished the openner on the 16, 17 and 18. I could not make it out on the 15 had problems with one engine over heating. The weather was cold, and rainy. But other than that not bad. I saw some 6 foot seas but other than that not bad at all. Most boats where getting between 40 to fifty pounds of shrimp per day. I made one pull after and all night set got 27 pounds then rest and got 23 pounds on a 5 hour set. It seems like the shrimp just go in and out of the traps and I could do better with pulling them every 6 hours than waiting all night but with the way the regs areset up you could only pull and set between 8am and 4 pm. I was using 5 sets with for pots on each sets. I was by my self and did not want to try pulling to many pots at once. My electro dynae puller worked great. I pull and reset a string of pots in about 15 minutes. The cleaning of the shrimp is what takes a lot of time. I do some guys did not go out after they heard the Coast Guard was making everone have an immersion suit on board and if you had 3 people and over 36 ft you had have a life raft.

Default I thought

Shrimp pot gear may only be deployed and retrieved during open fishing periods from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each day (5 AAC 31.223) and may not be stored in the water or deployed prior to the opening of the season. A vessel operator may not have more than the legal limit of pot gear on board the vessel or in the water at any time. Shrimp pots deployed on a longline with five or more pots, must have a buoy attached to each end of the longline (5AAC 31.226). After the fishing period or season closure shrimp pots may be stored in saltwater only if all bait and bait containers have been removed and all doors secured fully open and for no more than 14 days (5AAC 31.052).

I thought you could only fish between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.????? Or at least that is how I would interpet the first sentence. Sounds confusing.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Question What's Shrimp Pay?

How are the commercial shrimp brought to market? How much $/lb do they get? If the comercial guys avg 40lb/day that means they would need more than $10/lb just to make ends meet (I'm guessing). Seems kinda not worth it to me.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Does anyone know if they reached the Quota? And if not when will the next opener be? I checked F&G website and didn't find anything.

Default Shrimp

You can only pull and set gear between 8 am to 4 pm. Selling to the tender we where getting $6 a pound. I do not think they will get 40% of the quota. Remember your pots have to meet commerical standards and you have to have the commerical safety gear.

Question What's the cost/benefit ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    You can only pull and set gear between 8 am to 4 pm. Selling to the tender we where getting $6 a pound. I do not think they will get 40% of the quota. Remember your pots have to meet commerical standards and you have to have the commerical safety gear.
    At $6/lb, and 40lb/day, does that even cover the fuel and equipment cost? Either I'm missing something (which is ussually the case), or this fishery is a "labor of love" kinda thing.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Labor of Love

Well Doug everyone had high expectations. My guess the goal was to catch 1000 pounds of shrimp during the openner. With the way it is set up you may get to pulls of your gear during a 24 hour day. The commerical pots catch fewer shrimp that the sport gear. The reason is the sport gear can have larger opennings in the tunnels. I a good area you could pull your gear every 4 hours and do ok but with the time limits set on the openner you are limited in what you can do. My 5 hour set was doing as good as my all night set. I set out 5 lines with 4 pots on each 1. I was the only 1 on the boat and that was bout all I could handle. It took 15 minutes to pull a set and reset it. It took about 2 hours to clean them. There is not much time to move gear.