Thread: What to bring

Default What to bring

Hey guys i landed a job in Seward being a deckhand on a resort boat. I am gathering all my stuff to get ready and would like some help on some things I need to bring for sure. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by stop4mallards View Post
    Hey guys i landed a job in Seward being a deckhand on a resort boat. I am gathering all my stuff to get ready and would like some help on some things I need to bring for sure. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Rain gear, more rain gear, oh and really good rain gear. Are you talking gear as in fishing stuff or what.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Where are you coming from?

You might be better off getting what you need in Seward or Anchorage. Depending on your location, it can be hard to find quality gear in a place that isn't near harsh sea and weather conditions.

The only two things that you will absolutely need are Xtratuff rubber boots (about $70-80/pair) and a set of high quality rain gear - I'd recommend either Grundens or Guy Cotten. You can get those in Seward, along with whatever else you'll need.

Default Helly Hansen Store Seward

One thing about rain gear , you get what you paiy for, Helly Hansen Store in Seward has not cheap gear, but one pair of the beast will bet 5 pairs of cheap.

I am coming from Minnesota. I am going to pick up rain gear tomorrow am thinking Helly Hansen gear. I know it is cheaper down here. I will be getting the xtratuff boots up there because i can't find a dealer down here. is one set of goood rain gear enough to start with? Any info on fishing gear would be great also. I am planning on bringing a fly rod, spinning rod, and a fairly heavy baitcaster. I will be working for Randy McFarland at Fishwhisperer lodge. I have talked to him on the phone and email and he seems like a great guy does anyone know him? also what are some good things to get out and do around Seward? Randy has given me some ideas but i would like to learn as much as possible. So as of now any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

deckhand on a resort boat?
    bring a lot of patience and a good sense of humor!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    deckhand on a resort boat?
    bring a lot of patience and a good sense of humor!

No kidding. What dave said holds true for sure.

Sounds like you have a good start on the rods and reels. You will be fine. What you dont have or bring you can borrow or trade for.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Hello,

Costco in Anchorage has Xtra-Tufs for $69.(I think) Anyway they are not that expensive there.

Keith

Some suggestions;

-Chapstick for sun protection.(maybe even some sunblock until you get adjusted)
    -Layered clothing (besides rain gear) fleece is best, the weather can change rapidly
    -Blue gardening cloves for handling fish for client, that slime will chap your hands after awhile.
    -inflatable life vest unless already supplied
    -sunglasses
    -waterproof hat
    -knowledge of fishing knots
    -a good attitude and smile
    -pictures of your hot girlfriend so you can brag about her to all the guys

Xtratufs and Grundens Herkules bibs. I like the insulated boots. For me this combo lasts a long time.