Thread: Ninilchik June 12-14 - SALMON ADVICE NEEDED

Default Ninilchik June 12-14 - SALMON ADVICE NEEDED

I will be in Ninilchikfor a very quick 3-day stint June 12-14 and am carefully considering my options so as to pack as much fishing in as possible. It would help so much to get a little advice from a few of you.

I do have a friend there with a boat suitable for a day or 2 of halibut fishing. It is the evening salmon action that I am trying to figure out. I am willing to fish the 9PM to Midnight time to avoid crowds. Here are some questions:

1. Russian River Sockeye - do you think they will be fishable during the evenings at this time of June? What will the crowds be like after 7PM?

2. Kasilof kings - Does the crowd in the People Hole clear out a little after 9PM?

3. Deep Creek kings - I am right in understanding that it is illegal to even attempt to catch and release kings on Tuesday and Wednesday? If so, would 9PM - midnight be a good time to fish it on monday night?

4. Any other ideas for bank fishing during this time?

Thanks for advice on any, or all of my questions!

The red fishing on the russian should be going good on those dates. As far as crowds, the evenings will be a little better. But there is always going to be someone down there. Keep in mind the bears in the evening! They closed the russian at nights a couple of years ago after a mauling. If you do go to the russian, just start hiking around until you find some opne areas.

You can give Deep creek a shot on monday night. It can get hit pretty hard over the entire weekend, but if there is a steady stream of fish entering the river you can still have good action. Try down low near the tidal areas.

Thanks,

I assume the Ninilchik boat basin area will be similar to Deep Creek: hit very hard over the weekend, but still an option for the last few hours of Monday night.

Is catch and release salmon fishing allowed in Deep Creek and the Ninilchik on Tuesday and Wednesday?

Default Fishing open only on 3-day weekends

Fishing in Deep Creek and Ninilchik River for all species is only open on Sat-Mon weekends on May 27-29, June 3-5, June 10-12. Fishing opens back up on July 1 till the end of the year. Fishing is closed to everything, even catch and release during the week.

See page 23 in the regulation book.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...SCkenaipen.pdf