Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Just looking for some grayling patterns..

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    197

    Default Just looking for some grayling patterns..

    I'm sure there's a few post somewhere on good grayling flys, but i cant seem to find em. So I'm pretty new to this fly tying thing, I've probably tied about 40-50 flys now, but I'm looking for some proven grayling flys. I got a secret spot that I'd like to try em out on this summer. Anything information would be much appreciated.


  2. #2
    Member muzzyman87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Anything and everything... Greyling are ferocious. Just about any type of small nymphs and dries work just fine.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

  3. #3
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    Anything and everything... Greyling are ferocious. Just about any type of small nymphs and dries work just fine.


    So true. You can toss a bright red hook out and small Grayling will hit them. The are feeding machines. It does not matter what you throw. As my wife says "if you cant catch a grayling, you should quit fishing"
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  4. #4
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Parachute adams

    Grayling can be picky, especially during a mayfly hatch
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  5. #5
    Member 6XLeech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,162

    Default Here's some stuff...

    Tried the "Search", "Advanced Search", "Google Search" routine and found a couple of old threads:

    Definitely start with this one for an appetizer, entertainment, or if you haven't met AOD member, JediMasterSalmonSlayer yet . Although no specific flies ("dries") mentioned, the video clip is well done and fun to watch: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=34930

    This one's a short thread, but with photos of several beautiful grayling flies tied with moose hair: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=76477

    Here's a longer thread, with many flies named: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=1419
    I like the suggestions, particularly Parachute Adams, Griffiths Gnat, Prince Nymphs and would add Copper Johns to try especially if fishing is slow.

    This website has step-by-step instructions for tying a few flies useful for grayling: http://www.alaskaflyfish.net/flybench.htm. The Alaska Flyfishers website used to have an archive of many excellent or at least interesting flies, but I just checked their website and didn't find the archive.

    I think the Alaska Flyfishers book (http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...products_id=73) does a good job giving basic recipes for many of the suggested flies...and others.

    If you can find the April issue of Fish Alaska, Pudge Kleinhauf wrote up a fine article with photos of 33(? or so) of her favorite Grayling flies.

    Best of luck this season.

  6. #6

    Default

    dont get TOO small on grayling or you'll end up hooking them deep. Had a buddy up from Tx one summer prove this theory. He was using some 22's and 24 droppers (ity bitty midge patterns, believe it or not he had smaller, no 32's but 26 and 28's shew!!!).

    For me....
    dries, griffiths
    troth style caddis
    and a light cahill adult and parachute (only need a couple as you'll rarely use them)

    early season I use nymphs.
    pts or copper johns
    pearl scuds
    and a hares ear if you fell you need a third one.

    You'll rarely use nymphs once they start focusing on midges. Early season (caught close to 18 two days ago), I'll typically start with a pearl scud, then go to the pheasant tail or copper john. All beadheads on the nymphs with the copper john used to get deeeeeeep.

    The key atleast where I've fished isnt nessicarly size of fly or type...but getting a dead drift on the dries (not as so important on nymphs, though do change it up, stripping and dead drifting nymphs). Once you learn how to get the right drift, you'll become a very succesful grayling getter. If you're getting refused (looked at, fish tilts but doesnt take), try a size smaller, a different fly and pay attention to your drift! Usually it's your drift, sometimes you're just to big, I prefer 16's on the griffiths and cahills (12's and 14's on the parachutes), and 14's on the caddis and 12s on all my nymphs with a few 14's in the pt's and copper johns. If it's an early cool morning and you're getting refused, try the light cahill parachute or adult.....usually if the griffiths doesnt get them, the caddis will, and when nothing else does, the parachute saves the day.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Current Issue of Fish Alaska magazine has an article on 42 best flies for Grayling. that should about cover it. Have fun.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post

    You'll rarely use nymphs once they start focusing on midges. Early season (caught close to 18 two days ago), I'll typically start with a pearl scud, then go to the pheasant tail or copper john. All beadheads on the nymphs with the copper john used to get deeeeeeep.

    Pearl Scud? That sounds interesting, would you care to enlighten me???
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

  9. #9

    Default

    its a mix of yarn and dubbing, more dubbing then yarn carded (with old fashioned dubbing cards) together.... for the shell back I use the icecicle dealies they sell at xmas, you heat them up and they curl up, perfect pearl color though you have to double them to get a size 12 shell back. I can dig them out if you need a name, or just a regular shell back will work. The pearl stuff is spendy, I bought one pack a number of years ago and have hardly put a dent in it! Silver ovel tinsel (I prefer small), silver or copper color bead....pick or card it out once tied up in typical scud fashion.

    Only thing I can say is good luck finding the yarn. I have 2 sceens stashed plus the one I've been using..good thing too, it aint easy to find anymore.....that part IS the trade secret . I'm sure you can find something to mix instead of what I'm using, heck it might even be easier and look much gooder lol. There it is the cats outta the bag.

    ps, it works on everything from steelies to dollies to those finicky whitefish if you tie it small enough. Got into some steelies using one by accident in Ketchikan one spring fishing dollies, talk about fun!!! Crappies dig them too if you ever get back south....I'll be down that way this week chasing papermouths woohoo!!!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    233

    Default

    What about using some Shrimp colored Ice dub? The coloration sounds pretty similar, some pink dubbing with white ice dub? I have some opalescent shell back that will work great.

    Thanks for the pointers.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

  11. #11
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Bead Headed Prince Nymphs and Blue Dunns, I guarantee you'll catch them on one of those....

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  12. #12
    Member BlueMoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rifle River MI
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Only Because I can

    Guys keep up the great information. Coxy my friend your referring to the Delta Clear Water Addiction eh! One thing to keep in mind the Dun referred to is a Haystack with a slight trailing shuck of Antron that was locally sold in Fairbanks by Howie. Delta Clear water is one of a few Spring Creeks in the Interior of AK and the PH balance allows a lot of May Flies which is not the norm in most Grayling rivers. That is not to say there are not May Fly Populations across the state just that the Delta Clear Water has consitant hatches of May Flies where as most other rivers in the state do not. The pattern is a mid thorax fly developed in the 50's again check out all thing Fran Betters.

    Not digging on the comments they are spot on just not across the state.

    Lets address the address the basic break down concerning pattern selection concerning the Grayling:

    Predatory Insects most rivers clear water good O2 levels - Stone, Crane, Dragon and Damsel are normally large size 4-6-8 all thick and can be repp'd by Woolley Bugger sub surface i.e. weighted and wet available all times of the year.

    Food Insects most rivers clear water good 02 levels - Midge, Chom, Caddis and Skeeters
    Sub Surface - Bead head Brassie shape, color and size to meet your needs. Soft hackle for giggles works well.

    Dry's - Coachman Trude size 10-12-14-16
    Griffith Gnat - size 12-14-16-18
    Caddis if a must - size 12-14-16 color to match


    Chasing Grayling KISS - Keep it Simple / Stupid just a rule of thumb and not a direction.

    Grayling are like Trout in many ways and are in fact related - They will follow Salmon from lakes into streams and do eat Flea and Beads during certain times of the year.

    Yes they will hit just about anything however in certain locations they do become picking during certain times.

    Last Rule of Thumb

    If the area your fishing has a large fresh water shrimp population it would not make much since not to Match the Hatch.

    I know I am full of something sometimes. Tight Lines and Best Wishes with your Grayling adventures and your Fly Tying.

  13. #13

    Default

    JB,

    I'm sure shrimp colored ice dub would work....mine is a pearl white (though I'm not using icedub), no pink at all in it. You could mix the color with the natural or synthetic depending on the effect you want, the sky's truely the limit here. The yarn, or any yarn you end up using will give you longer strands then the ice dub I THINK, not sure I honestly dont think I even have any ice dub lol. Cut the yarn to the length you'd like then card it out. I cut mine about a half in long. It's a process and mine never looked as good as my buds, fish didnt mind!

    The pearl white has worked extremely well for us, the only other guy I know who ties it is now overseas for awhile. Lucky fish turd is chasing fish in places most of us get to dream and read about!!!

    Pearl jigs also work well on spring rainbows when zonkers and smolt imitations stop, he had an ultralight man was that thing fun!....just another reason to carry some of the pearl scuds. it's just an all around fish catching machine!!!

  14. #14
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Guys keep up the great information. Coxy my friend your referring to the Delta Clear Water Addiction eh! One thing to keep in mind the Dun referred to is a Haystack with a slight trailing shuck of Antron that was locally sold in Fairbanks by Howie. Delta Clear water is one of a few Spring Creeks in the Interior of AK and the PH balance allows a lot of May Flies which is not the norm in most Grayling rivers. That is not to say there are not May Fly Populations across the state just that the Delta Clear Water has consitant hatches of May Flies where as most other rivers in the state do not. The pattern is a mid thorax fly developed in the 50's again check out all thing Fran Betters.

    Not digging on the comments they are spot on just not across the state.

    Lets address the address the basic break down concerning pattern selection concerning the Grayling:

    Predatory Insects most rivers clear water good O2 levels - Stone, Crane, Dragon and Damsel are normally large size 4-6-8 all thick and can be repp'd by Woolley Bugger sub surface i.e. weighted and wet available all times of the year.

    Food Insects most rivers clear water good 02 levels - Midge, Chom, Caddis and Skeeters
    Sub Surface - Bead head Brassie shape, color and size to meet your needs. Soft hackle for giggles works well.

    Dry's - Coachman Trude size 10-12-14-16
    Griffith Gnat - size 12-14-16-18
    Caddis if a must - size 12-14-16 color to match


    Chasing Grayling KISS - Keep it Simple / Stupid just a rule of thumb and not a direction.

    Grayling are like Trout in many ways and are in fact related - They will follow Salmon from lakes into streams and do eat Flea and Beads during certain times of the year.

    Yes they will hit just about anything however in certain locations they do become picking during certain times.

    Last Rule of Thumb

    If the area your fishing has a large fresh water shrimp population it would not make much since not to Match the Hatch.

    I know I am full of something sometimes. Tight Lines and Best Wishes with your Grayling adventures and your Fly Tying.
    Haven't been called Coxy in awhile. So true, I don't know what it is about that fly and why it works so great on the Clearwater, but I'm very certain you have nailed in this post. I hope I can find that fly pattern somewhere close to here... I've even seen those fiesty eaters feast on massive egg sucking leaches in September while targeting silvers in the Clearwater, just like you stated in your post. I'm definitely making the trip up in July next summer when it is time to fish for them, I cannot miss out famous Delta Clearwater grayling fishing. Even talking about it has me excited....

    Great Post Moose!

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  15. #15

    Default

    well when you do make it up holler..maybe we can get a convoy going....if nothing else the evening bbq's would be a hoot!

    moose, spit it out, it's a fancy comparadun....man had me all confuzed till I looked up Fran LOL!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    fairbanks
    Posts
    36

    Default

    the blue dunn, really any dunn will work, but i've caught countless grayling on the blue dunn

  17. #17

    Default

    For sheer fun I love to wake a caddis dry- just like you do with steelhead dries. Grayling go nuts chasing them down, and it's about like fishing for miniature sharks. Lots of flies work, so you may as well have as much fun as you can manage.

  18. #18
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Haven't been called Coxy in awhile. So true, I don't know what it is about that fly and why it works so great on the Clearwater, but I'm very certain you have nailed in this post. I hope I can find that fly pattern somewhere close to here... I've even seen those fiesty eaters feast on massive egg sucking leaches in September while targeting silvers in the Clearwater, just like you stated in your post. I'm definitely making the trip up in July next summer when it is time to fish for them, I cannot miss out famous Delta Clearwater grayling fishing. Even talking about it has me excited....

    Great Post Moose!

    Fish On!

    Hey Coxy....The boat will be ready...I may go for 4 days this year.

    I also would add a salcha pink to the list of flies. They work good in the slough right now.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  19. #19
    Member 900fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Menominee, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    def agree with JEDI. salcha pinks are killer i tie mine with a silver bead head.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •