Thread: Need expert Advice on Mudd-OX

Default Need expert Advice on Mudd-OX

Been considering a new ATV. After a few trips the wife has made it clear she wants some type of ATV that will haul more than more person and gear. Speed is not very important, but I do desire a vehicle that is both dependable and capable of hauling 2 hunters and a camp.
    Been looking at the tracked amphibian vehicles. Argo, Max, and Mud Ox, at the Fairbanks show yesterday we saw the new diesel MudOx. Very impressive vehicle with a price to match.

So what do you swamp rats think. I want to be able to get back into moose country with the wife and a camp. Also want to do some spring bear hunting when the snow starts to get rotten. The MudOx with tracks seems to be able to get through some amazing stuff in the videos they have.

Options would be appreciated.

Steve

The ultimate answer to your question will depend on the type of terrain you anticipate crossing. Are you already getting back in there with wheeled ATVs, or are you looking to conquer new swampy terrain?

Amphibious vehicles, like the Argo and Mud Ox, are very good at what they are designed to do. However, as specialty vehicles, you also need to be aware of their weaknesses. Namely, they are slow, heavy, have jerky steering, and ride rough.

In addition to the amphibious vehicles, I would suggest that you also look at side-by-sides, such as the Yamaha Rhino, as well as the Polaris Rangers (they have a new midsized one this year) and possibly even the Rzr. These offer the multi-person capability and cargo capacity it sounds like you are looking for, and they can typically go anywhere a "regular" ATV can. They have the speed to keep up other ATVs on the trail, smooth steering using a wheel she is already used to from cars, and full suspension.

Don't forget that you can get track kits for regular and side-by-side ATVs, as well.

Need I say more

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

The smoother more powerful option that will go many more places than any UTV or ATV and haul a full camp with ease.
    Attached Images Attached Images

a few more pictures

last pictures mid engine makes the ride great and hauls what you need

If I had the coin, I'd get the Mud-Ox. Next would be the Argo or a Ranger 6x6. The Ranger is by far the most inexpensive option, but cannot go the same places a Mud-Ox or Argo can, however, it gets where it is going much faster with a more comfortable ride.

Its all personal preference and $$$$ ,Yes there are things that will get for to your hunting grounds fast and there are things that will get you there slow. The way I look at it how many moose are the fast guys driving by ? I have shot moose on the way to camp that I know I would not of seen if I were going fast. YES Argos are slow and bumpy,But put a set of tracks on them and they are go anywhere machines.When the wife and I go moose hunting she takes 1 Argo and I take the other reason being Argos do get stuck and the place we go there is no way to get an ATV in there to help you out if stuck or broke down thats something else to consider. Your getting an Argo to get places no one else can get to the same thing goes if you break down your on your own unless you got the tools and the parts. And I carry them all in my tool box.

Extra belts
    fuel pump
    filters
    fuses or tin foil
    duct tape
    bailing wire

Argos are very reliable even with all the nightmare stories you may have heard.Its all in the maintenance!!!!!!

Also remember unlike a ATV or UTV Argos float so do wheelers but usually tires up

Default Tough decision

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    If I had the coin, I'd get the Mud-Ox. Next would be the Argo or a Ranger 6x6. The Ranger is by far the most inexpensive option, but cannot go the same places a Mud-Ox or Argo can, however, it gets where it is going much faster with a more comfortable ride.
    My father-in-law has an Argo and it's pretty sweet. Goes wherever he wants it to, but the ride is rough, slow, and jerky. He does not have tracks but I have heard that tracks "smooth" the bumps out.

I own a 2010 Polaris Ranger 6X6 and I love it. Plenty of power, cargo capacity, smooth, cheaper than an argo or mud-ox, multiple passengers, great towing capacity.

IMO the argo or mud-ox are the ultimate go anywhere, any condition vehicle. But, like someone said below, with an argo or mud-ox you will be able to go where others with wheels cannot and so more than asking what kind of terrain are you riding in or accessing I'd ask, "Who are you riding/hunting with and what is their machines capabilities." If everyone you hunt or ride with has wheeled vehicles then you will be limited by them and I'd consider a sideXside. If you're going with others who have argos or mud-ox and you can afford $20K, and you're wife is good with a little rougher ride then I'd get the argo or mud-ox.

I ride/hunt with mostly wheeler guys so I chose the Ranger 6X6. So far I have not been stopped by terrain anywhere that I've gone. I have been stuck and I have had to go around or "blaze" a new trail, but it was nothing a winch, some tow ropes, and some ingenuity couldn't handle, which is part of the fun/challenge.

Good luck with your decision.

Here is the thread to a discussion about the 2010 Polaris Ranger 6X6

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=64618

PM me if you want anymore info on the Polaris Ranger 6X6.

Default argo

I hunt in a pretty swamppy area we have four wheelers argos and a Rhino. Not one of them is faster are slower then the others where the wheelers can go faster on a good trail the argo's blow by in the shall we say the bad stuff but since we hunt together no one is left behind.
    If your hunting partners hunt with argo's or a mudd Ox I would say unless it is just floating mat all the time don't be affraid to look at a side by side they can tow you threw the bad stuff.
    If you are going alone I would look at Argo with stand track. I can't recommend the mud ox don't know anyone that has one and there are some flows to it I feel. The reason I say that is if you get stuck very easy to get out unlike a side by side.The Argos can haul more as well in the nasty stuff.
    My 2 cents worth

I would most likely be hunting alone with just the Mudd-Ox, me and one other. That's the reason I want something that is hard to get stuck, I know anything can get stuck, but some get stuck quicker than others. Also like the cab, tracks, heater, ability to haul a load and a couple buddies.

Thanks Mooseeker, looks like you got it figured out.

Steve

What about the Centaur? More weight capacity and sips the fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    What about the Centaur? More weight capacity and sips the fuel.

The Argo Centaur retails for over 40K, that will buy a lot of diesel. I'm sure they are nice.

Steve

Yowza! Did not realize it was that steep. Now I gotta wonder how the guy out here was able to afford one. He sure does like it, but wow on the $$.

Depending on what argo you get go for the super tracks not standard worth every penny with the wheeler tires getting wider and more aggressive standard tracks sometimes will get you high centered on wheeler ruts

The new Diesel Mudd-Ox competes directly with the centaur. It has a 44hp turbo charged 4 cyl Kubota diesel with 105 lbs of torque vs the Centaur 34 hp and 58 lbs. Both machines are hydrastatic drive systems. The Mudd-Ox comes with standard 4000lb winch, ROPS system, bilge pump, seat belts etc. there are now Aluminum cabs available, 20" tracks etc. The fuel consumption is between 1/4-1/2 gallon per hour with expected engine life to exceed 20,000 hours with proper maintance. It is direct drive to the hydrualic pump from the engine and uses twin 60 chain through out machine and has three bearings per axle and a heavily reinforced frame. The payloads are about the same. the price is significantly less and it is make in the USA!!

Default Argo/Ox

The Ox with hydrostatic drive will make it easier on turning sharp with each side turning opposite directions. Argo brakes one side while the other propels for turning. I do know of Argo's that had to replace trannys form trying to turn sharp at higher speeds with tracks. Replaced with a lower geared tranny to handle tight turns, but also lost some top end speed for the open. To me in the swampy stuff where they are meant to go, tight turning or speed is not usually needed.
    Now for a totally different Argo on tracks trip, ever think about going up? Have a friend at work that climbed a mountain with lots of winching for sheep. I asked about the trip down. They did not slide on the way down but did have a few pucker moments. He is going again this fall and is going to video the trip. He did mention that there was no way a U/ATV would have made the trip where they were.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

If your friend is interested I can tell him how to use a cable to get down that mountain safely.