Thread: Vaccum Sealers

Default Vaccum Sealers

Anyone have any comments on Cabela's CG-15 Vaccum Sealer? Seems like a good mid-range ($399.99) sealer from the information posted to Cabela's site.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...aler&noImage=0

Looking to upgrade as I normally get one year out of a food saver variety before they stop working in one fashion or another.

Thanks

I bought one this fall after returning from the Kenai. It works great and hasn't had any glitches. I've gone through 3 previous ones and this seems like it's going to last.

Take a few minutes and visit Alaska Butcher Supply in Mt. View before you buy a vacuum packer. You'll probably walk out of their store with a MagicVac. The biggest key to a good sealer unit is good bags. Alaska Butcher Supply has them. It's nice to get good local service when you need it, too.

Talking Don't waste your money or time

I've owned foodsaver, magicvac, and finally got a real Vacuum packer that pulls a true vacuum, uses 4 mil bags that cost 8 cents (8x12), needs no cool down time and I have over 5,000 cycles on it and still going. Cost? about $1650, but it only hurt once!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default A couple of hints

I always place the fillets on a clean towel to remove any excess moisture. Then I wrap the fish with a commercial plastic wrap before placing into bags.

The plastic wrap helps prevent the small bones from poking thru the bags and from drawing out any more moisture from the fish.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

My family owns a place on POW and we process a lot of fish every year. We have found the best way to help the non commercial units last is to seal the bags after the meat has been frozen in them. That way, it doesn't suck all that moisture into the motor.

a) A vacuum packer should have a moisture collecting trough to prevent liquids from entering the pump. And an adjustable pump. And an adjustable heat bar. Hmmmm.

b) Good quality bags won't puncture from contact with fish bones. Foodsaver bags will, though. Foodsaver brand bags are junk. There's no polite way to say it.

Profishguide, I'm green with envy. I'd love a chamber unit. I just don't need a chamber unit.

Default commercial sealer

Profishguide,

Is there a place in Alaska to purchase one?

Thanks,

Northway

Alaska Butcher Supply has operational display units.

Thumbs up sportsman show

I am sure alaska butcher will have the commercial units again at the sportsman show this spring.
    I bought one 3 or 4 years ago. we use it in our campground and do hundreds and hundreds of sealings a season.
    It has worked flawless, I have several of the suck out the end types laying around here, (food saver type), some may even work, but no one uses them once they try this unit. I like it because you can seal in liquid when you vacume seal. you can marinate steaks with your favorite sauce in just a half hour, you don't have to pat dry your fish, or use up rolls of paper towels or monkey around with that stuff, and the sealing bar actually seals.. I mean you can turn up the heat on it and melt the bag in two pieces if you want. No more air gets into the bag. I have seen people put fish in our freezers here at the camground that used the suck type vac sealers, and within a half hour the bag is inflated a little ,,,,,showing that the tiny bit of liquid it was sucking out the end made it impossible for a perfect seal. The chamber is the way to go, and like was mentioned before, it hurts only once... I use mine for packing all my hunting clothes in before I head out on a float trip. No matter what happens, my clothes are dry until I slice the bag open. We pack our moose meat, caribou, and fish , along with food storage items that are sensitive to enviroments, like beans and rice and dried fruit. We recently did our 72 hour preparedness kits for our family in the unit. all our food and clothes, windup flashlites, matches, everything we did in the sealer. this way it will last for many years. no air, no deterioration. The bags can be reused if you want, but like was said earlier, from 8 cents to 12 cents for the biggest bag that will fit my machine is not a huge expense compared to 33 cents per bag for the cheapy food saver bags. anyway, I agree, it was a purchase well worth the money.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Question commercial vac packer brand and model?

Quote Originally Posted by profishguide View Post
    I've owned foodsaver, magicvac, and finally got a real Vacuum packer that pulls a true vacuum, uses 4 mil bags that cost 8 cents (8x12), needs no cool down time and I have over 5,000 cycles on it and still going. Cost? about $1650, but it only hurt once!!!
    Frank,

Do you know your commercial vac packer brand and model?

Thanks for your time...

Default My VacPac

Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

If you're going to do alot of vacuum packing, commercial chamber units are the way to go. Yeah, $1500+ is a big chunk, but the units are faster, the bags are tougher, and the bags are less expensive. Another nice feature of the vacuum chamber units is you can pack moist items without juices getting in the pump and ruining the unit.