Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone have any sure fire way to clean clams

Default anyone have any sure fire way to clean clams

i heard before leaving the beach to get a bucket of clean salt water. add a bunch of oatmeal and than throw in the clams. on the drive back to town the get stressed and consume the oatmeal and crap it and most of the sand out. when you get home you pop them open and clean them with most of the sand left in the buckets. Ever hear of this? What methods do you use?

I've never heard of Oatmeal, but have corn meal. Use to do cornmeal for Cherry Stone Clams when I grew up in Maine. Just put them in a bucket and add a can of cornmeal. Now, I do it two ways depending on time. If I have 24 plus hours of ocean time, I just put them in an onion bag or mesh dive bag and let them soak overboard. I don't recommend doing this in the harbor for two reasons. Sea Otters and pollution. If I stay in the harbor or am going home, I put them in two milk crates that fit in a cooler. I divy them up equally in both milk crates, put them in the cooler and add sea water to cover them up. Every 4-6 hours, I just take out the milk crates, change the water pouring out the sand , put the crates back in and fill with water. 24 hours later, I eat them. Works fine for me both ways. Of course this is for steamers. Razors I don't bother with, no one but me likes them in the family. For Razors, go to http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/ and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I've never heard of Oatmeal, but have corn meal. Use to do cornmeal for Cherry Stone Clams when I grew up in Maine. Just put them in a bucket and add a can of cornmeal. Now, I do it two ways depending on time. If I have 24 plus hours of ocean time, I just put them in an onion bag or mesh dive bag and let them soak overboard. I don't recommend doing this in the harbor for two reasons. Sea Otters and pollution. If I stay in the harbor or am going home, I put them in two milk crates that fit in a cooler. I divy them up equally in both milk crates, put them in the cooler and add sea water to cover them up. Every 4-6 hours, I just take out the milk crates, change the water pouring out the sand , put the crates back in and fill with water. 24 hours later, I eat them. Works fine for me both ways. Of course this is for steamers. Razors I don't bother with, no one but me likes them in the family. For Razors, go to http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/ and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Ive done the same with flour as well but for some reason I prefer corn meal. Im sure there isnt any difference, but I use cornmeal now and I know it works because when I open them up, they was a lot of the corn meal/flour in them.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Default clam cleaning video

Try this video. not shure how to post a link
    Cleaning Alaska's Razor Clams
    By Klondike Kid

Quote Originally Posted by akcaptjim View Post
    Try this video. not shure how to post a link
    Cleaning Alaska's Razor Clams
    By Klondike Kid
    Not by Klondike Kid, but I have always used this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEeAbJZv8Bc

Default cornmeal etc to "clean" steamer or butter clams...

a wive's tale... just think about it for a minute.
    the cornmeal will either float or sink, and since clams are are not surface feeders it is pointless if it floats...since the clams are in a bucket the are not feeding off the bottom, so that doesn't make sense either.
    just change the water a few times a day and they will purge themselves just fine.
    i have left clams on the beach in bags years ago when i commercial clammed, and we never had otters get into them.
    these days i just keep the clams in a bucket, or a mesh bag in the harbor. my thought on pollutants is about the same as my feelings on cornmeal, pollutants either float or sink (for the most part) and i always take the clams with me and put them in clean water from the middle of the bay every day.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

elbow grease. Lots of it. There is no sure fire simple way. Buckle down and spend hours cleaning them suckers. It is a pain in the butt. If there was some "easy" way believe me, all of us on this forum would tell you. There is not. Just working your ass off. I love to dig them. Dont care to clean them, really dont even like eating them. So if I go the deal is,,,,, Ill dig and get my clams and donate them to a friend. They get the pleasure of cleaning them. Ill drink beer and eat a rib eye steak
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

We use just use salt water in the bucket, and the drive back to Los Anchorage they seem to spit out the sand

Default Right from Alaska outdoor journal

2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default Sand?

You`re worried about sand? You are eating their colon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post

Thanks for the link. Never saw that video before.

Talking

Bring your mother in law. Hopefully she likes you. If she hates you, it might work in your favor too.

Default boil

The easiest way to clean them is to NOT break them when diggin em up. Let them sit in the salt water for half a day or so if you want - you have to cut out the sand/guts/lungs anyway.... boil them for a second and they are easier to clean - drop them right into cold water after they "pop".

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    you have to cut out the .... lungs .
    where exactly are the lungs on a clam?

(just messin' with ya'.)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by huskerhav View Post
    What methods do you use?

An Electric CAN Opener..........

Default What? You never seen lungs on a clam afore?

Hey Joe - Didja see tha lungs on that thar clam? Them sho was some nice lungs - wasn't they?

I meant Gills - the little brown thingies inside next to the gutz......if it is brown we take it out...

https://www.dec.state.ak.us/eh/fss/seafood/psp/psp.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    The easiest way to clean them is to NOT break them when diggin em up. Let them sit in the salt water for half a day or so if you want - you have to cut out the sand/guts/lungs anyway.... boil them for a second and they are easier to clean - drop them right into cold water after they "pop".
    That’s hitting it right on the head. We just use a burlap bag and dunk them in really hot water; a bucket will work for about 5 or 6 dunks depending on its size. When the shells pop open, like almost instantly, we dump them on a piece of cardboard and go for it. My wife likes to use a pair of scissors; I like a small sharp knife. Her Grandfather use to commercial dig across the inlet back in the 50s, taught us all how to clean.
    Polly Creek may 1st, can’t wait.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default bucket of saltwater and about 6 beers

I soak my clams for a few hours in buckets of clean salt water after rinsing them off very well. Then I sit down with about 6 beers and dunk them in almost boiling water until they pop open then tong them into an ice water bath to keep them from cooking. By this time I have at least a beer down and its time to clean. I have an old paring knife that works great getting the meats out and use scissors to clean up the goodies after shucking. After about 6 beers the bucket seems to be empty and its time to fry some up!

Lightbulb Different Clams?

The cornmeal is used for the smaller steamer type clams, and yes they will totally fill them selves with the cornmeal, and pump out all the sand at the same time.

For Razor clams I shuutter everytime someone says they boil their clams. Yes it works great to get them out of the shell, but it makes for tough eating clams. Just soak your razors in freshwater for 8-12 hours, it kills them and makes it very easy to slide a soup spoon along the inside of the shell.
    It also softens the clam a little making the necks much more tender, leave them in freshwater too long and they will just fall apart.
    Compare them to a boiled clam and you won't go back.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default dissin my diggers ?

LOL - I grind up the siphons and keep the diggers for saute and for chunkier soup. They aren't tough if you put them into your grinder before making your soup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast