Thread: Tube flies???

Question Tube flies???

After a trip to Iceland earlier this month, i met some fishermen that were using tube flies exclusively. long story short i bought as many as i could afford (at 4 bucks a piece!) to try to replicate after coming home. anyone have any advice for a first time tube fly tyer?

Tie lots. They really work. I got a buddy that fishes virtually nothing else. There are several vises out there, but not all are created equal. I don't remember which he prefers, but he's gone through a few to find it.

I prefer tube flies for steelhead... I certainly fish traditional patterns too though.. I do think using tube flies gives you a much higher landing ratio since you use short shank hooks. I had a stretch in February where my hot fly was an Olive Garden but I could not land a fish with the #4 3X long hook for some reason....

I'm planning on taking a pile of tubes to the Naknek in June. For some of my BIG articulating leach flies I'm planning on running two or three 1.5" marabou tube flies with beads in between. One trailer hook. They should wiggle fine and I can tweak the length.

I bought a cheap tube fly attachement for my regular vise on eBay and after about twenty tubes it broke... bought a second one by HMH for about $25 and it works great.

L

Eumer makes a nice adapter that comes complete with mandrels and graduated pins if you already have a vise. They also make a tube fly vise! It takes a little experimenting to get the right coneheads and tubing to match, but they have a good system.

All the Fly shops in Anchorage carry tube fly attachments for a standard vise. I purchased mine from Mossy's and paid around $30 to $40. It came with 2 bobbins (I think that's what they are called). My favorite thing about tying tube flies is that you can manipulate all your material without impailing yourself on the hook.

you don't get the weight like a brass tube, but those little bar straws work good to tie onto and cheap. Norm with the Nor vice has a tube jaw for his vices that I like to use.

I got the HMH attachment from Mt View Sports... works great. I recommend the tapered mandrels as they will hold the tubes in place better. If you'll be tying flies for trout and steelhead, you may only need the smaller diameter tubes; i havent found a use for the larger ones yet.

I have the hmh attachment also, and the book on tying tube flies....havent bothered to even tying one LOL! someday maybe.

Thanks for the info. I tied a few sculpin and leech patterns by clamping my bodkin (trying to do it on the cheap) with the bar straws.... Definately buying the HMH attachment on my next trip to anchorage.