Thread: Props to Joe at GNG!

Default Props to Joe at GNG!

I had a very positive experience at GNG, following a particularly negative experience at another gun shop.

I have always had great service at said other shop, but today was not happy. I went in looking for a 12GA O/U. I told the guy I'd like to stay at or below $1000 if possible ( I had no idea what they had or what options were available)... He simply said "not in this store" and walked away.

Well, on to GNG where while busy, Joe asked if someone had been helping me... a quick "no, came to look at some shotguns" and Joe took me to the shotgun area, and spent A WHILE with me, explaining the reasons to pick a good O/U for the purpose I intended. Needless to say, after about 20-30 of one on one in a very busy shop, I walked out with a $1500 Classic Sporter 101 (knocked down from a good deal higher). Straight from there to Birchwood where 200 rds were immediately dispensed with against far more clays than I normally hit.

To say that I'm happy with GNG, and my new 101 is quite the understatement.

As for the other shop, I'll probably still go there, but it may take a while to cool down.

Default Testy job

Yeah, what is it with Gun Store guys gettin' Testy? Nobody treats us like that when we drive through Mcdonalds

The guys have been pretty cool to me at GNG (except for that one time, and I just grabbed what I was there for, $140 item, and got outta there)

Good shop tho, I think the thread about crazy things they hear, like every day (?) may explain it some, but still doesn't excuse Flat Out Arrogance, By The Few I guess......Man it is hard to go back when you get Dumped On isn't it. Last time I had that happen I was thinking, "Ok, I have Everything I need for a while, stayin' out of these places for a LONG time."

and then there's online jewels like , Sinclair, Brownells, etc just a FEW DAYS AWAY and

then Mack's in Kodiak who must have some stategy for their employees to continue to be So Cool, Always....How do they do that?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    then Mack's in Kodiak who must have some stategy for their employees to continue to be So Cool, Always....How do they do that?
    Thats because they know they have the best shop in the state!

I have put a few hundred thousand shells though a Winchester 101 Sporting.Get some new fireing pins and change them out about every fifty thousand rounds and you will be good to go

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I had a very positive experience at GNG, following a particularly negative experience at another gun shop.

I have always had great service at said other shop, but today was not happy. I went in looking for a 12GA O/U. I told the guy I'd like to stay at or below $1000 if possible ( I had no idea what they had or what options were available)... He simply said "not in this store" and walked away.

Well, on to GNG where while busy, Joe asked if someone had been helping me... a quick "no, came to look at some shotguns" and Joe took me to the shotgun area, and spent A WHILE with me, explaining the reasons to pick a good O/U for the purpose I intended. Needless to say, after about 20-30 of one on one in a very busy shop, I walked out with a $1500 Classic Sporter 101 (knocked down from a good deal higher). Straight from there to Birchwood where 200 rds were immediately dispensed with against far more clays than I normally hit.

To say that I'm happy with GNG, and my new 101 is quite the understatement.

As for the other shop, I'll probably still go there, but it may take a while to cool down.
    post a pic.....let me see what ya spent some good coin on! I've been thinking about a 2 barrel for some time.....

I have been in the shop when they have treated some folks preaty bad. BUT it's not hard to like the best old time gun shop in Anchorage. I have allways been treated vary well in their shop and have found stuff in their shop I could not find anywhere else. Yes Great Northerns is great, but so is Boondockers, both are good old time gunshops and for me that says it all.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Congrats on the new toy. I guess I'll give them a try to look for my mountain gun for sheep...and maybe a 340wby for moose....ohhh and something to take fishing for bear protection. Thanks for the info.

Great northern guns is definately a classy shop. I have alwasy been treated very well by all the guns that work there.

I've bought guns anywhere but there, I don't know if Joe is Joe the boss from years ago or someone else. I've only had good luck with the boss or I can't get anyone to realize I do have money and would like to purchase a firearm.

It sounds like gng had nothing in their store for under a thousand but had a better salesman. I would say the other gun store took you at your word and did not want to waste your time showing you 2000.00 guns when you stated you wanted a 1000.00 overunder. I have the same thing happen at the car dealer.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    From my personal experience as a GUN shop employee at the HEIGHT of the "O"-scare (when it was a constant state of "panic", and standing room only of "agitated people" in the shop ALL clammoring for weapons and ammo "NOW"!!!) it STARTS AT THE TOP...and flows downhill.

If the BOSS is shall we say "discourteous"<cough> then it effects the employees. IF the boss is courteous and respectful then that ALSO sets the tone.

It's ALL about the man at the top, and the example he sets and the standards he lays down.

Some shops even have seperate $8/hr folks (in back) who answer the phone...so you don't get interupted in the middle of your $1000 purchase. BUT, those type are FEW and FAR between, it seems.

I finally found ONE here in the Phoenix area...and NOW I'll drive 18 miles out of my way to spend my $$$ there. They shipped a handgun across the US for me...for a flat $25. NO extra "login" fees, no BS. And he tried to help me to do it myself...but it was too easy to just let him do it. I will ship/receive/order/purchase EVERYTHING I can from them in the future...just because of THAT experience. AND I got some nice purchases coming up before next summer. A couple thousand $$$ anyway.

ALL because of the right ATTITUDE on a small purchase, and no answering the telephone rudeness (MY pet peeve at ANY store).
    It's too easy to buy direct/receive ($20 flat fee) at my new place now, than to put up with that crap!

I've bought a bunch of guns over the last 20 years from GNG. It's always been a good experience. Funny thing is, the only guns I've bought from Joe were very recently. He sold me two Ruger stainless rifles for my kids that were $100 each lower than I found anywhere in town or online.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Its kind of funny, but probably not all that unlikely when you think about it, seems every dog has his fleas. I for my part used to buy lots of guns from GNG but have over the past 10 years or so gotten better service at a couple other local gun shops... I could go on and on about why I changed up my spending habits, but lost the desire to do so when I discovered all my favorite shops also recommend GNG, so I sort of chalked it up to personality differences rather than condemming the shop. I've had freinds who when hearing my story said they'll never shop GNG again, I tell them not to make any decision based on my single experience, and still recommend Frank as one of the finest gun salesmen in alaska regardless of my experience. (I guess I should point out that my negative experience was not with Frank) However I must admit I do tend to spend my money where I am able to get along better with the personnel as a whole package. Oddly enough, I've recommended all these gun shops including GNG to friends at various stages along the way, only to have them report back to me every once in a while that they were treated poorly at whichever particualar shop I happened to recommend... I guess it must be a pretty tall order to expect the many personality types to hit it off 24/7 360 a year.

GNG is one of the very few shops my wife actually likes to go into and browse around. Every time she does, an employee quietly welcomes her, and asks if she is interested in looking at anything. She'll tell them no, she just wants to look, they smile and tell her "okay, but let me know if something jumps out at you."
    Whenever we go to Anchorage, GNG is on our list.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Big +1

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    Its kind of funny, but probably not all that unlikely when you think about it, seems every dog has his fleas. I for my part used to buy lots of guns from GNG but have over the past 10 years or so gotten better service at a couple other local gun shops... I could go on and on about why I changed up my spending habits, but lost the desire to do so when I discovered all my favorite shops also recommend GNG, so I sort of chalked it up to personality differences rather than condemming the shop. I've had freinds who when hearing my story said they'll never shop GNG again, I tell them not to make any decision based on my single experience, and still recommend Frank as one of the finest gun salesmen in alaska regardless of my experience. (I guess I should point out that my negative experience was not with Frank) However I must admit I do tend to spend my money where I am able to get along better with the personnel as a whole package. Oddly enough, I've recommended all these gun shops including GNG to friends at various stages along the way, only to have them report back to me every once in a while that they were treated poorly at whichever particualar shop I happened to recommend... I guess it must be a pretty tall order to expect the many personality types to hit it off 24/7 360 a year.
    I feel exactly like you do Chriso, I shop at many of the other stores in town and have had a little friction with some of them from time to time, but after I cool off for a while I don't let it stop me from giving them another go round later on. I know that at any place of business in any town in any state, someone has been rubbed the wrong way. I hear horror stories from others but I usually go check it out for myself. Because I know that sometimes you just have one of those days. I recommend other shops in town on almost a daily basis, if we dont have or can't get what someone needs. That in itself is one reason I like to shop other stores on my day off, to see what they have, and buy reloading supplies that we don't stock.

If everyone saw it the way you do Chriso it sure would make for alot less of the " I'll never go back because" type threads we see here so often.

Heck I even went to GNG yesterday and browsed around, even bought a little reloading stuff. Everyone there including Yog and Joe seemed very nice as they waited on customers. Chock that one up as a good experience and you can guess where my next pound of powder might come from.

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    post a pic.....let me see what ya spent some good coin on! I've been thinking about a 2 barrel for some time.....

Here's the link of the same gun on GunsAmerica... the listing has been closed, but hopefully the page stays active.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/981400747...ter_12_GA.htm#

Default GNG

The last time I went onto GNG was about 10 years ago because they did not want my money. I was shopping for a retirement present for my father. I went in looking for a Weatherby any Weatherby chambered in a 270 Weatherby and it had to be SS and left handed. This is the rifle my father had always wanted (gun of his dreams). Instead of trying to help me find this firearm the two employees behind the counter asked me why did I want that round for, it was not good for anything. I did not want anyones opinion I just wanted this rifle. They made me feel un-welcome for what I was shopping for, they wanted me to buy what they thought I needed not what I wanted. I went to another gun store and they listened to me and ordered and sold me a $1700.00 rilfe and I was soo happy with their customer service I bought a high end scope from them and had them mount it and I gave my father the complete gun of his dreams and he has taken multiple whitetails all over the lower 48 with it since he is retired and hunts all over. If they would have listened to me they could have sold me this set up and many more furture firearms.

Sorry for the negative post but just my experience

Moose

Default this, that, and the other.

That's another common Gunshop attitude..

"Oh NO, you don't want THAT...you want THIS (I have in STOCK)!"

Then next week THIS isn't good enough/cool enough anymore...cuz the "NEW" shipment came in.
    NOW you gotta have THIS OTHER instead.