Thread: canoe motor sidemount

Default canoe motor sidemount

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the old town motor sidemount with a 2 to 2.5 hp gas motor?? I'd be using it on a 16' old town predator for creeks and small rivers...............

Default Motor mount

I skipped the O/T brand and bought one from Spring Creek O/F.

I bought both the "super strong" mount and the Extension. Hope the link works.

http://www.canoegear.com/catalog/home.php?cat=57

It has a 4 HP max or 35lbs. I run a 3 HP Evinrude that weighs right at 34lbs and I use an external fuel tank to cut down on weight on the mount.

My canoe is a 18 ft OT discovery.

Hope this helps,

MT3006

Default Moter Side Mount

Be very carfull with a side mount, it is OK in a pound not to good in large lakes, as if the waves are large they can come down the side of the conoe an hit the motor an come into the boat an the conoe is at a disavantage having that weight hanging over the side, all I am saying is to be carfull with it, they will work SID

Thunder Chicken,

I have logged hundreds of miles with side mount canoes...they require some common sense in use.....as with all canoes...

Anyway, someplace in the shed I have an Old Town side mount made of ash...nice condition....I would sell it for ????.....3.5 HP on a 17' would be tops for power....