Thread: inserts for xtratuf?

Default inserts for xtratuf?

Just wondering what you have found to be the best inserts for the xtratufs? Does it depend on the activity? I've heard of folks using the gel insert and then plenty of people using the expensive ones as well. What do you prefer and why?

Default Bama, goes the distance

The Bama, socketts I think they may be called, you can find em at any fisherman supply store, because a lot of us have been standing in em for YEARS, and they not only have incredible endurance, but they suck up water, moisture, condensation or whatever and keep it off your feet like you would not believe,

Good padding for the long stand or long work day ......and just the right level of warmth,

Honestly, you won't believe the first time you pull your boot off after a long day of work, and feel the outside of the Bama, it'll probably feel totally soaked, then you pull it off and your sock, and even the inside of the Bama Totally Bone Dry

Then the bama itself dries really pretty quickly, ready for morning, you can leave 'em on inside you sleeping bag and they'll dry completely while still working to keep your feet warm, Ok, Enuf already, right?

Not expensive either, not a "designer thing" just excellent design
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

kodiakrain - thanks for getting this started. So do you just wear regular socks and then the bama over that? Would 2 pair cover you by just switching them out? You just use these with no Dr Schols?

By the way I love your sign off line and yes your right about God.

Default cottons and polypros

If it's cold out or I'm working hard I always use a Polypro liner (as in real thin, silk weight sock) underneath a cotton sock, then the Bama's
    In summer just a quality cotton sock alone is fine, and two pair total would be good, just switching them out. Actually after pulling the bama to dry at night my cotton socks are so dry and amazingly don't even smell bad that you can keep them on, stick the Bama on again the next morning without a switch at all. Really, hard to believe but true,
    All the sweat and condensation is either drawn or held off your cotton socks.
    Oh yeah I used to always have a felt or wool sole underneath this but that does fill up your boot quite a bit so watch the size boot you buy, needs to be half size larger. The insole compacts a bit when in heavy use but it all feels a bit tight in morning, If you already have the boots and it seems tight just use the Bama's alone they will form fit to your boot after a few days.
    These days I don't use the insole anymore as I don't stand in the same place for forty hour days so much, used to be a Commercial Longliner doing major hours on these feet. Now days I just go Bama and a Cotton with Polypro against the skin, Very Effective Solution
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Rep for the Bama's, been using them for a few years and you can't beat them.

Smile

If you are talking about fishing gel may be fine but if you mean hiking, I wouldnt use gel. I hike a lot in Xtra toughs in the mountains and add a STIFF insert. You are trying to stiffen them up and prevent sore feet which will happen with the twisting on hillsides and walking on pointed rocks that happens in the mountains and trails. I dont know the brand or think it matters. Just that they are stiff. Xtra toughs rule!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default bamas

Kodiakrain - thanks for the input and I decided to give them a try. I just got done ordering a couple for me and my daughter. Will let everyone know how they worked out.