Thread: What typle of a smoker do you guys use for meats

Default What typle of a smoker do you guys use for meats

what brand do you guys use to smoke the wild game meat up there.. i been looking at diff ones for use as a combo bbq pit smoker and bbq unit ..i love to bbq that the one thing i like to do with friends throw some meat on the fire and good friends and good meal and great times by all ..

here is the one unit i found at this website ..www.Tejassmokers.com the model number is 2040CC Classic Chef with a lot of features i been looking for in a combo unit ..

A home made one.
    BK
    Attached Images Attached Images

that a nice looking smoker there..

bkmail, it appears I followed the same plans you did:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shearej,
    Yours looks a bit classier. I like it. Pretty simple and practical.
    BK

I have a home-built walk-in smoker, constructed with the intention of having it double as a meat cooler during the warmer falls we've been having.

It's on a 5' x 7' foot-print, single-pitch/slope salt-box style roof (10' on the tallest wall, and just over 6' on the shorter opposing wall, with about a 3.75' drop over a horizontal run of 7') with the entry on a gable side.

It is 6 racks high on the tallest wall, and 4 racks hiigh on the shorter wall, with each of those walls' racks comprised of 3 oven racks wide, side-by-side. It uses ~40 oven racks in total, and can host (+/-) 75 sockeye at a time (or about 150 fillets).

I looks like a glorified outhouse with forest green metal roofing, various sized vents with the vent doors being insulated and vapor-barriered, hinged with sliding-bolt closures.

My wife fitted the hand-made door (her handi-work, not mine) with nicely-framed thick glass windows made of scraps scavenged from the re-use area at the transfer sites. Inside the windows is a wide-range indoor/outdoor thermometer, though it's sometimes difficult to read through the glass when the smoker's really cranking.

It has numerous vents both high and low, for adjusting temps and density of smoke, as well as a larger vent in the back wall that (has/will have) interchangable panels, including a 6" metalbestos pass-through collar to allow for an external stove to be piped in for cold-smoking, a 4" dryer-duct fitting to permit a stand-alone AC unit inside (for the meat cooler application), and a 2' x 2' screen panel for plain old ventilation.

I still need to put in a concrete-lined 'trench' outside the thing, and cover it with a metal-roofed awning/eve to contain the other wood stove at a sub-grade elevation, in order to pipe the earlier-mentioned 'cold smoke.'

It's insulated and vapor-barriered (unusual for a smoker, I know, but aside from facilitating the meat cooler application, it also allows for a longer smoking season, making for a three-season smoker...)

I was supposed to post pics of this in another thread about two years ago, and never did. Obviously it's still a work in progress, but it's already turned out several -excellent- batches of smoked sockeye, as welll as some incredible alder-smoked moose jerky.

I still need to make the fitted boards to accept 1-1/2" dowells from side-to-side (in place of racks) in order to do more tradirtional cold-smoked king strips, which tend to be -THE- all-time favorie smoked fish in our home..