Thread: Diameter for .44 bullet?

Default Diameter for .44 bullet?

I want to load some Beartooth 330g LFN for both my .444 Marlin (XLR Ballard rifling) and my Redhawk .44. I was going to order .432 diameter bullets--that's what was recommended by the fellas on the Marlin Owners Forum. Will the .432 work well in my Redhawk or should I look at a different diameter?

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

I was hoping to use the bullets to load for both guns.

Thanks,
    Tim

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Comprimise and try the 430 or 431 diameter to see if they work in both. I used the 325 grain in .430 in my 430 JDJ but that was years ago.

.432 will probably work fine but you really should match the bullet dia. to your throat size rather than just guess. I little too big is better than too small. .432 may be somewhat large for the Ruger. A cast bullet should be a tight hand push through the cyl throat and hopefully the throat is at least as large as the bore. If you get .432 bullets and they are too big for the ruger, Lee makes an inexpensive sizer that fits most reloading presses and you can size them down to fit the Ruger.

Thanks for the replies.

According to Beartooth bullets, that's why .432 works well in the 444 is because it fits the throat better. They claim .431 would work too.

I'm going to take my Redhawk to my buddies and measure the cylinders.

Where do I find the Lee sizer? Cabels? Midway?

Thanks,
    Tim

Default .430 Ruger

Most 44 cal Ruger's I have worked on size out at .430, I used to cast bullets and sold a lot of the .430's to Ruger shooters, and they worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I want to load some Beartooth 330g LFN for both my .444 Marlin (XLR Ballard rifling) and my Redhawk .44. I was going to order .432 diameter bullets--that's what was recommended by the fellas on the Marlin Owners Forum. Will the .432 work well in my Redhawk or should I look at a different diameter?

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

I was hoping to use the bullets to load for both guns.

Thanks,
    Tim

In most cases the .432's are really only needed in the Marlins with the Microgorve rifling which have larger than normal bores combined with shallow rifling. The Ballard barrels have a lot more leeway to work with in terms of deep rifling to grab the bullet.

the .432 is too big for your Ruger unless you open up the cylinder throats. It's probably easier to just buy 2 different sizes from Beartooth. I use the .432's in my 444 with microgrove and .431 in my S&W which have had the cylinder throats reamed to .431.

If you opened up your Ruger throats to .431 you could probably use .431 for both guns.

The lee sizers can be bought at places like Midway,Grafs,Midsouth shooters and others for around $20. $25 or so for custom sizes from Lee.
    You can get the size that fits the biggest throat and easily size to fit the smaller.

on the side of logic and if it was me.....I would opt to send the cylinder out to CAS and have him open the cylinder throats to .432,,. Keeping bullet sizes the same if you will would be handy.

Tim if you are ever out in the valley, I have the .430 lee sizer in stock.

Sterling

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    on the side of logic and if it was me.....I would opt to send the cylinder out to CAS and have him open the cylinder throats to .432,,. Keeping bullet sizes the same if you will would be handy.
    Yesterday my buddy and I used a plug gauge (round cylinder-shaped rod) to measure all the cylinders and .432 went into all the cylinders, not as nicely as the .431 did though.

I think I'm going to continue developing loads with 300g Hornady XTPs for now. I don't think I'm ready to load-up the beartooth bullets yet, but I think I'll try them in my .444 this summer. I was hoping to use the 330g LFN in my .444 for moose/bear and I though it'd be handy to shoot them from my Redhawk too.

Tim

This is like fishing, you are not the controling factor you use what the fish wants. It'sthe same with guns, use what the gun wants to shoot it's best. Do the easureing so you know what is best for that firearm. Spend your money last fo size lube dies. I don't know why anyone would like to do this backwards?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

If a 432 pin gage will fit in the throat then thats going to be the size bullet you want to use. It should work in the Marlin as well.