Thread: Hot 44 loads in a S&W model 29

Default Hot 44 loads in a S&W model 29

I had some hot 300 grain cast bullets loaded for my S&W model 29. I read somewhere that you shouldn't be shooting these max loads unless using a Ruger Super Redhawk, Blackhawk, or other super strong revolver. Stated that you would wear out/loosen up the model 29.

What are thoughts on a 300 grain cast bullet out of a S&W Model 29 at the max loading from a decent Nosler or Hornady reloading manual?

Former Palmer Resident, currently back in Northern NH

I shoot lots of Keith loads out of my 29's, 629's, and Ruger SBH's. 22 grains of 2400 under a Lyman #429421 245 grain bullet. I sometimes shoot the same bullet with 9.5 grains of Unique and they shoot to the same point of aim. I have had zero issues and all of my sixguns are still tight and timed well.

Not info on 300 grain bullets but still warm loads.

Neets Bay Alaska

Default .

Here is a quote from my post in the hunting forum. "You will want to work out your own load but this worked very well for me on three blackies. I used a 300 grain sierra JSP over 21.6 grains of Winchester 296 at 1110 FPS."

I have put over 7000 rounds similar to this and a little hotter through a 6" bbl 629 included were also a lot of 250 grain Sierra FPJ over 24.1 grains of WW 296 at 1320 FPS.

At around 5000 rounds of this the 629 started to loosen up. by this I mean the 3 screws in the lock cover plate on the right side of the revolver would start to come loose after 4 or 5 shots.

I drilled and tapped the holes to the next larger size added a little red locktite and solved this problem.

In the early 90's I was a fully sponsored competition hand gun shooter so I had free rein to play with my own projects.

I am not saying that that these loads will be safe for your gun but they worked fine for me.

I still have all my 44mag notes so you can PM me for any specifics you are interested in.

Kachemak Bay Alaska

I shoot a 305 grain SSK hardcast Keith style slug with a gas check.
    I use 21.5 grains of H-110 and a 350 CCI primer.
    The Brass is WW virgin.
    I use an Ohler 33 and a Chrony mounted on the same board for double chronograph readings.

The average velocity is 1226 fps +/- 10 fps. from the 6.5 inch barreled M-29.

That same load will go 1602 fps from an 18 inch barrel Rossi M-92 saddle carbine. The same power as the original Blackpowder 45-90 Winchester loads.

The load is very accurate from the S&W out to 50 yards. It is super accurate from a Short barreled M-92 clone like a Rossi or Browning, out to 100-125 yards.
    My daughters used to carry a M-92 with these loads during berry picking trips. 10 shots of well aimed 300 gain slugs will do the job.

Thumbs up 250 Sierra FPJ

In mt Performance Shop 629 5" I use the Fed Gold Medal 250 FPJ......excellent load!

Default not made for the heavys

A few years ago I had 629-5 mountain gun and after about 1000 or 1500 heavy 300 and 320 gr. loads. The frame streached, I was loosing velosity. I had lost about 200 fps when shot through my crony. So I sent it back to S&W and sold it when it came back. I only use rugers now. My Redhawk 45colt will take anything I can. I load 340 Gr. hard cast at about 1400 fps with a SD of 25 fps. 1000 rounds later and it is still the same it was when new. Granted that the Redhawk is about 10 oz. heavier than the S&W MG I had before. So you give up one thing for another.

I've never pushed my various 29's and 629's. They seem to "tell me" when enough is too much. By that I mean there comes a point when it gets harder to eject the fired cases. Interesting enough, the loads I regularly shoot through my Redhawks fall into the enough is too much category for my Smiths, giving very difficult extraction even though they pop out of the Redhawks with ease.

Never had a Smith shoot loose, probably because I've been a bit conservative after hearing all the stories about it happening. The little extra ballistics you gain for all the extra strain never seemed like a good tradeoff to me. A couple of mine have been around and shot a lot for over 20 years without any detectable problems. Seems to be my approach has paid off, doesn't it?

I guess the moral of the story is that I reserve my Smiths for factory equivalent loads and reach for my Redhawks if I feel justified in pushing things up a notch.