Thread: Tickets booked! Im coming to get you clams!!

Default Tickets booked! Im coming to get you clams!!

Hey guys,

Just booked my tickets for May 16th until June 3rd!! WOOHOO!

Not ideal for fishing, but if all goes well, I should be able to set up about 5-6 weeks of work in Anchorage from the end of June until early August!

My hands were freaking trembling after I did it I was so excited!!

Anyways, since there wont be much fishing from shore, Im gonna go clamming on my 2nd day there for some chowder and some fried clams!

I see the tides say that there is a -2.9 tide on the 17th. I dont remember properly but is that a good negative tide? Get there an hour before low tide or something?

thanks in advance.
    WOOHOO! Finally coming back!!

It gets a little lower than that, but that's definitely a good "low" tide so take advantage of it.

I can't say this from experience, but I've heard from reliable sources that the further south you go, the bigger the clams will be---more like down toward Ninilchik. Maybe someone else can share some knowledge there.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    It gets a little lower than that, but that's definitely a good "low" tide so take advantage of it.

I can't say this from experience, but I've heard from reliable sources that the further south you go, the bigger the clams will be---more like down toward Ninilchik. Maybe someone else can share some knowledge there.

I have always found Clam Gulch to be decent...hence the name I guess. Only been there once on a -5 footer or so, and it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I have always found Clam Gulch to be decent...hence the name I guess. Only been there once on a -5 footer or so, and it was worth it.
    Yeah, just trying to share some "local knowledge" I happened to hear. Clam Gulch is the area where almost everyone goes---it's the beach that's closest to populated areas north of here, so it get picked over at every good low. Of course so does every beach south of Clam Gulch to some extent, but I know people that frequent the area (not just once) and going "south" is what I've heard is preferable. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Yeah, just trying to share some "local knowledge" I happened to hear. Clam Gulch is the area where almost everyone goes---it's the beach that's closest to populated areas north of here, so it get picked over at every good low. Of course so does every beach south of Clam Gulch to some extent, but I know people that frequent the area (not just once) and going "south" is what I've heard is preferable. Just a suggestion.
    And a very good one as that is why I have only been to Clam one time.......Do you have to give away all the secrets? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    And a very good one as that is why I have only been to Clam one time.......Do you have to give away all the secrets? LOL
    Sorry!!! LOL! Sometimes I'm just too helpful.

Jonathan - Come back in two years, brother. By then I'll be proficient enough in the Cub that I can fly us over to the west side of the inlet for what I have heard is incredibly clamming in both size and numbers.

if you go too far south, as in past whiskey gulch, you will start running into the aleutian razor clam. they don't get as big, and are recognized by dark tubercles on the siphon.
    lots of surf clams at clam gulch (also called pink necks or hokagai), but it is true there are some big razors there too.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Brian the stories of larger and more numerous clams on the west side is just hearsay - now keep quite!

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Jonathan - Come back in two years, brother. By then I'll be proficient enough in the Cub that I can fly us over to the west side of the inlet for what I have heard is incredibly clamming in both size and numbers.
    Man, if it were up to me I would not leave! I saw this youtube video of this couple that flew... somewhere, and had a whole beach to themselves full of clams. I guessing some places are just like that!

2 years. Its a date. A man clam date.

man did that sound wrong.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post

On SO many levels!

<grin>

Man, this is a fertile field to hoe....Where to begin??
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Man, if it were up to me I would not leave! I saw this youtube video of this couple that flew... somewhere, and had a whole beach to themselves full of clams. I guessing some places are just like that!

Hahahaha! Man, I don't know if the title of this thread is funnier or the phrase "man clam".

For some reason I couldn't control myself from clicking on it when I saw the title, and it most definately did not disappoint!

My hands were freaking trembling after I did it I was so excited!!

Sounds like you are happy as a clam
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    Hahahaha! Man, I don't know if the title of this thread is funnier or the phrase "man clam".

For some reason I couldn't control myself from clicking on it when I saw the title, and it most definately did not disappoint!
    I know eh? I wrote 'man clam' and I almost deleted it, then I re-read, laughed out loud, and left it.

Im just so freaking anxious. My gf Rose is not coming this time and she thinks Im gonna go nuts with excitement. Its possible. 2 years ago in homer I had to ask her if it was morning or afternoon.

I failed on both assumptions, it was almost 8pm.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"