Thread: DG346 Resurrection Bay Goat Hunt

Default DG346 Resurrection Bay Goat Hunt

Looking for some help with a hunt i was drawn for. The water taxi i was counting on has moved on to another location. Any tips on where or how to hunt this area would be appreciated. I checked with Fish and game and they made it sound like i had a 40% chance of connecting with the right info on Seward. Being from Fairbanks i could use all the help i can get..

thanks
    Coltbrowning

CB,
    That is probably the easiest Goat Hunt in the State. The way I would do it, is to get a boat ride out to Thumbs Cove. At the back of the cove, you will find a creek dumping in. Follow that creek bed up to the higher elevation, it is an easy climb. Should take you about three hours to get up there and kill a goat. Be prepared with enough rations to spend the night though, just in case you drop one in a bad spot and have to work at getting him out. Good Luck on the hunt.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    CB,
    That is probably the easiest Goat Hunt in the State. The way I would do it, is to get a boat ride out to Thumbs Cove. At the back of the cove, you will find a creek dumping in. Follow that creek bed up to the higher elevation, it is an easy climb. Should take you about three hours to get up there and kill a goat. Be prepared with enough rations to spend the night though, just in case you drop one in a bad spot and have to work at getting him out. Good Luck on the hunt.

....I ditto that...

-Congratulations on that tag!

-and for transporter info....even though Matt relocated elsewhere, there is another one that operates here out of the bay;-the guy also works for the AK RR... I'll look up his info for you...
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Thumbs up

Miller's Landing runs a water taxi all over Resurrection Bay. Contact them. Beyond that, AkRes is spot on. The exact cove may change due to the location of the billys, but it is one of the relatively easier goat hunts once transportation is locked on.

I called at Noon on a Friday and inserted at 4:30. Stayed 2 days and got pulled out with William D. Goat.

Your worst enemy will be the weather. Play it as closely as you'd play the goat.

Taylor

Default Another location suggestion

I drew 346 last year, and took the aforementioned water taxi into Kayaker's Cove (South of Thumb and Humpy). There are several cabins there. There's a trail that runs behind the large cabin up the drainage (clearly defined through the woods, then marked with rock cairns once you get to the rocks). Start glassing once you get out of the trees, and just follow the drainage up to the head. We saw 14 goats total, missed one from looooong range on day 1, got POURED on day 2 (ALL day), and killed one on day 3. I went in the beginning of October (I wanted to ensure that the hair was nice - and it WAS). If you do decide to hit this area late in the season, make sure you take plenty of water up with you. There was no running water up in the rocks, the drainage was dry; but we did find a seep up high under some rocks -- tasted like swamp water. We caught plenty of water on day 2 - so bring a thin plastic poncho or something to catch water with. The drainage to the south of Kayaker's Cove has a lake in it -- we were heading for it when we spotted and killed my goat. Best of luck to you, and shoot me a PM if you want any more information about this area.

-Jeremy

Default DG346 info

Wow what upbeat info on the goat hunt.. I sure hope i am able to come back here and sport some pics of this hunt of a lifetime.

Coltbrowning

Default Hunt Plans

I also drew this goat tag and plan on going in Oct. My mother drew the Brown bear tag in the same area, so we are going to try to fill both at once. I know there are brownies back in Day harbor, so I might be hunting from that side. If anyone has any info from the day harbor side that would be great....

Default Day harbor

Anybody hunt the day harbor side for this tag?

My friend drew this tag last year, and I accompanied him on the hunt. A few weeks before the hunt, we flew the area for an hour with a charter out of Seward to investigate a couple different access points we'd been considering. We also gave thought to going in the Day Harbor side.

Who knows... things might have changed.. but I'll tell you that the farther we got up Day Harbor towards Ellsworth Glacier, the fewer goats we saw. We did see some goats in the two major drainages west of Ellsworth, but the vast majority were on the peninsula. The farther south we went, the more goats we typically saw. Keep in mind, some of the country way south towards Res Cape gets pretty darn rugged(and it's all fairly rugged - it is goat country). Some that area around the cape looks just about impossible to really hunt through, and starting from the water you're pretty much cliffed out anyway you go. No wonder there's lots of goats there. But all the areas previously mentioned by others could be the ticket for you.

Anyway, if I were going to hunt the Day Harbor side I would go in at Talus Bay or farther south (Safety Cove, Killer Bay) and hunt the peninsula proper.

Oh yeah... as for my buddy's hunt...

We got dropped off by our water taxi at our chosen spot (Res Bay, west side of the peninsula) based on how accessible the country looked from the air and the goat numbers we had seen. Beautiful day in late September, but we had heard a big storm was on the way. Started climbing around 8AM. Peaked up above timberline around 11 or 12. Set up camp. Having not taken 20 steps from camp, we spotted a billy bedded up on ridge (with another billy bedded farther above). Checked him out through the scope and decided he was worth going after. We got cliffed out a couple of times, but finally managed to get within 300 yards of the then-feeding goat around 5:30 pm. Set up. Made the shot. Dead goat. Took pictures, caped him out, packed up the meat. Back at camp around 9ish as the storm was making itself known. Spent the next day waiting out the storm and eating as much food as possible (plus I had more than a pint of Crown I wasn't going to pack off the mountain). Next morning, the rain decreased a bit and we tore down camp, loaded up, and got off the mountain. Sat phoned in to the taxi and back in Seward in time for lunch. Pretty sweet. My only complaint is that it ended too soon.

Anyway, a very doable goat hunt and a permit I'd like to draw myself. Good luck to all those fortunate enough to be chasing billies up there this fall.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhunter View Post
    Anybody hunt the day harbor side for this tag?
    thats the good side. The Chenega folks only shoot the ones that'll drop from the cliff into the seine boat. By the time it makes it through the rigging its gutted and skinned and all dad has to do is hang it w/ the vanging boom so mom can have at those tenderloins
    whata life I tell ya, those were the days

COLTBROWNING STRONGLY SUGGEST UP INVEST IN 6 POINT CAMPONS ( 4 point ones work but 6 point are better) also long handled mtn axe ( barneys), they make great walking stick and if you fall they can help stop the slide that can kill you. i carry 175 feet of rope. i use small diameter climbing rope ( 5 or 6mm) but 3/8 inch poly works.
    good luck goat hunt will get you addicted ......or you do it once and never do it again i've probably hunted them 20 times, mostly with bow, at 61 i hope to hunt them again this year but need to loose wt. and maybe i can get my first with a bow. have only had 2 guys dare to go a second time
    good luck be safe
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Listen to Nimrod, he's for reals. Ive seen his pics...
    I second the Kayaker's cove advice. We did the whole weekend getaway last year in June and there were goats crawling all over the place. (Black bears too). The trail was way easy, straight up to the ridges.
    If you havn't read Taylor's books, there is a killer story in there about a Resurrection goat hunt. Definitely a get you pumped read.
    Should be a great hunt you lucky dog.