Thread: .257 Weatherby Cartrdges

Default .257 Weatherby Cartrdges

I have a new toy (.257 Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight). At some point I will probably reload for it, but for now will use factory ammo. As you probably already know there is a only a limited offering in this caliber. Most of it being from Weatherby. In looking at the home page, I found some information on their offerings. I'm considering the 120 grain Nosler partition, the 110 grain Nosler Accubond, and the 100 grain Barnes TSX. All have pretty similar ballistics. Any real experience with this caliber or these cartridges on deer and sheep?

Quote Originally Posted by Patty View Post
    I have a new toy (.257 Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight). At some point I will probably reload for it, but for now will use factory ammo. As you probably already know there is a only a limited offering in this caliber. Most of it being from Weatherby. In looking at the home page, I found some information on their offerings. I'm considering the 120 grain Nosler partition, the 110 grain Nosler Accubond, and the 100 grain Barnes TSX. All have pretty similar ballistics. Any real experience with this caliber or these cartridges on deer and sheep?
    Haven't hunted sheep with mine but the 100gr. TSX factory load from Weatherby has been phenomenally accurate out of my .257 Weatherby. I have shot steel rams out to 550yds. with this load. I recommended them to someone for a sheep hunt though ans they performed flawlessy.

Best of luck...

Default Use the 100grn TSX

I have a rifle chambered in 257WBY, and I handload for it. The best (most accurate) loads for mine are with the 100grn TSX. My velocity is 3525fps with it (chronographed just last weekend).

Last spring I shot an average sized black bear (a five and a half footer) with that exact same load. I shot it from behind (it's a long story) at about 75 yards. The bullet entered its rear end pretty much right on target, and it exited the chest taking out a rib on the way. The bear piled-up on the spot when it was hit and was DRT. The bullet traveled the entire length of that bear, which I figure to be around four to four and a half feet.

I'll be taking that same rifle and TSX load again with me this spring, and I'm going to use it for mountain goat in the fall. I have high confidence in it.

Good hunting to you.

Doc

Doc, do you mind sharing the powder charge you use or at least what you started with?

Thanks to both of you for the info.

My rifle is custom built, and it has a 26" barrel. I mention that only to note that my chamber throat will be different than your WBY, i.e., your seating depth (OAL) will be different. When you load the TSX's, you'll find that they like to be seated further off the lands than any other bullet.

My load for the 100grn TSX is a heavy charge of RL-22 (Barnes#4 puts max for that bullet with RL-22 at 71grns), CCI magnum rifle primers, and OAL of 3.205.

I'll mention one other thing, which will save you some money. Don't bother with the 115grn TSX's unless your rifle is a 9 twist. Mine, like most others for the 257WBY is a 10 twist, and that is not fast enough to stabilze the much longer 115grn TSX bullet. I have tried to do it. In fact, I think Barnes is now telling people that the 115's need a 9 twist.

Good luck to you,

Doc

Patty if you would like some Barnes data shoot me a PM with your preferred powder and I will try to help...

Good shooting Doc.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    My rifle is custom built, and it has a 26" barrel. I mention that only to note that my chamber throat will be different than your WBY, i.e., your seating depth (OAL) will be different. When you load the TSX's, you'll find that they like to be seated further off the lands than any other bullet.

My load for the 100grn TSX is a heavy charge of RL-22 (Barnes#4 puts max for that bullet with RL-22 at 71grns), CCI magnum rifle primers, and OAL of 3.205.

I'll mention one other thing, which will save you some money. Don't bother with the 115grn TSX's unless your rifle is a 9 twist. Mine, like most others for the 257WBY is a 10 twist, and that is not fast enough to stabilze the much longer 115grn TSX bullet. I have tried to do it. In fact, I think Barnes is now telling people that the 115's need a 9 twist.

Good luck to you,

Doc
    Mine is a 10 twist as well with a 26 inch barrel. I'll stick with the 100 grain TSX. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Good shooting Doc.
    Thanks BT...you've made some good shots yourself, sir.

Doc