Thread: Back trolling question?

Default Back trolling question?

Ive been a bank fisherman for far too long and finally bought a boat. I have fished the Kenai for kings a couple of times on guided trips and remembered doing well back trolling with eggs. I vaugely remember the set up we used. My first question is which number Jet Diver to use when fishing this setup in the Kenai? My next question is: When bait is prohibitted, and fishing a K-16 Kwikfish, will it dive all the way to the bottom without the aid of a diver? I am also curious any experiences as to how much heavier lines affect diver performance? I have been using 40 lb. Maxima bank fishing and was thinking of dropping down to 30 lb. from the boat. TIA for any and all suggestions.

Use a 40 or 50 (Jumbo Jet) for your bait/diver rig. Or learn to backbounce.

A K16 will reach the bottom of 90% of the best king fishing spots on the Kenai without a diver. A K16X can be flat-lined in all but one spot that I fish. If you feel the need to add a diver, use a 20 or 30... the combined diving action of the plug and diver will get you into virtually every hole in the river. The diver has a stabilizing effect on your presentation and probably helps cut down on tangles, esp for newby drivers that "wag their tail" down the run or newby pluggers that have NOT mastered how to properly tune a plug. Your final option is a lead dropper.... excellent choice when the current has been slowed by the incoming tide, or if you just want to corral your goods a bit closer to the boat than you could achieve with a diver.

As for line, ditch the mono and go for 65# braid.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    As for line, ditch the mono and go for 65# braid.
    Better words have never been spoken. Virtually no stretch, better sensitivity and won't break unless you have been really abusive. I don't use anything but.

Default one better!

I would not fool around with 65#, it's still in that hard to handle, cut you range. Go on up to 80 lb# and be done with it. Knots tie better too.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    I would not fool around with 65#, it's still in that hard to handle, cut you range. Go on up to 80 lb# and be done with it. Knots tie better too.
    Mike
    I'd respectfully disagree. I actually use 50# all the time and never have had any problem with it. It's a lot thinner and very manageable. Never had a problem with knot tying and can't remember the last time I've been cut by it.

Thanks for the diver advice. I doubt that my young kids will make very good back bouncers so back trolling it will be for me most of the time. Personally, I have always tried to avoid braided lines like the plague. However, given the change in techniques from bank to boat, maybe I should give it a try and see if I form a new opinion on the subject.

Divers, lines, drop weights, mono, braided.........whatever. What did you get for a boat?
    Just so this isn't a complete hi jack, I prefer mag warts or wiggle warts early no bait season, no diver.

Quote Originally Posted by HKYDDY View Post
    I have always tried to avoid braided lines like the plague. However, given the change in techniques from bank to boat, maybe I should give it a try and see if I form a new opinion on the subject.
    Yeah, I'd at least give it a try. I switched over years ago and I have never used anything different. I even use it from the bank. It has almost instant hookset (some mono will stretch as much as 20% so if you've got 50' behind you it's going to stretch quite a bit before you really connect) and incredible sensitivity and, as I said before, it can be bomber proof. I hooked into a 17 lb. coho on the Little Su years ago that wrapped itself around an overhanging root system and I was able to back my boat down, let some line out (braided) and net the fish behind the root ball. It was pretty funny.

Of course you have to pay the premium. It is not cheap and spooling up a reel, even with half of it as mono backing, can get expensive if you don't have the means.

It is also a ***** (terminology for a female dog that I didn't realize would be a forbidden word) to untangle if you get a couple of lines wrapped, but that's "the price of admission" as far as I'm concerned. I think it is totally worth it and never will use anyting else.

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Divers, lines, drop weights, mono, braided.........whatever. What did you get for a boat?
    Just so this isn't a complete hi jack, I prefer mag warts or wiggle warts early no bait season, no diver.
    I picked up an older 16 ft. modified John boat with a 2001 40hp merc 4 stroke plus console and controls. The gunwhales were raised around 6 inches. Its a first boat and it's Kenai legal year round. It came with a lower jet unit as well as the prop thats on it now. I think its going to be a bit much boat for the jet with more than 2 people in it but I am curious to see some day. I will just be happy to get it back from the shop (I am having the motor checked out and tuned by a pro) and for some ice to go out and see how she handles before commiting her to a river.

Default Ditto on the braid...

But this is "superbraid" not the old dacron stuff you might be thinking of. The original superbraid was "Tuff Line" and if you can find it, it was great. It had a thread of stiff dacron in it, and made it so much better for knots and NOT wrapping around the rod tip...some of the newer stuff is pure spectra and is too limp IMO...there are lots of newer ones with coatings etc that give them body and great knot holding characteristics. Personally I like PowerPro and DITTO what MuttleyCrew said about using 50lb, no problem with the power pro (or some of the other superbraids that have added "body"...in fact I use 35lb powerpro for silvers on a small baitcast, and some of my family use it on their spinning reels, with great results. Learn to tie a palomar knot, superbraid's and your new best friend!

Another thing not mentioned yet about the braided line...the 50lb. for instance is about 6 lb mono diameter, so you get way less drag in the water when backtrolling, so easier to get depth, same with regular trolling. With a graphite rod and braid, you can feel a minnow sniff!

Default Ditto to Cap'n Ron

I've used PowerPro before and recently switched to Cabela's Ripcord SI+ just because it's less expensive. I don't think either of them can be beat.

I'm not sure, but I think they're probably both essentially the same material. Correct me if I'm wrong. PowerPro calls it "Spectra" and Cabela's calls it "Dyneema", but I say tuh-may-toe and you say tuh-mah-toe.

I believe Cabala's still sells the Tuf Line, too, but their Ripcord is still cheaper.

Muttley, do you use the braid in the salt for trolling also?

Thank you for all of the replies. I will consider everyone's suggestions when rigging up my gear for this summers fishing.

how does the braided stuff cast