Thread: Rain Gear on a sheep hunt

Default Rain Gear on a sheep hunt

What do you guys use? I'm hunting the DCUA in August. Drew DS203. I've got Sitka gear 90% pants and jacket. My rain gear is the HH Impertech which is heavy. Do you use a lightweight rain gear??? Anything else???

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by USMC RET View Post
    What do you guys use? I'm hunting the DCUA in August. Drew DS203. I've got Sitka gear 90% pants and jacket. My rain gear is the HH Impertech which is heavy. Do you use a lightweight rain gear??? Anything else???

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Brian
    I like Gortex for hunting/fishing/backpacking Aryterx makes awesome rain clothes same goes for Outdoor Research. It's expensive but worth it.

I will be packing a high end mountaineering hard shell similar to the ones reference above with a pair of cabelas rain pants. I don't tend to care too much if my legs get wet as long as my core is warm and dry. I have carried marmot precip gear in the past and it has done well on days when it is sprinkling on and off. I have heard that it won't hold up to a steady downpour but I would take it again if I didn't have the high end stuff.

Default Sitka Nimbus

I used the Sitka Nimbus Jacket for two years on two sheep hunts, and this year will be my third, Had NO problems with it, I use it over my celsius jacket, worked great for me on a heavy downpour and as a windbreaker.

I use marmot precip rain gear on every hunt, from mountain hunting to chasing rabbits in the brush and have never had any issues with them. They have pit zippers for venting and the full length leg zippers for easy getting into and out of which I like.

+1 for the Sitka Nimbus Jacket and pants. So comfortable I forgot it was rain gear, used it as a windbreaker also. Used it about 60 days last year with no problems.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Used it about 60 days last year with no problems.

Steve
    Steve you need to get out of the rain man.

Default Nimbus

Does sitka even still make the nimbus jacket??? or a jacket with the Nimbus material???.............I didnt see it on their website, just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Steve you need to get out of the rain man.
    Well, it didn't rain everyday. LOL

K, I think Sitka has moved on to bigger and better, or at least more expensive.

Steve

Every type of fabric I have tried eventually soaked up water. Now I just use Impertech, I would rather be sweaty and warm, than "in style" and cold.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_By_Choice View Post
    Every type of fabric I have tried eventually soaked up water. Now I just use Impertech, I would rather be sweaty and warm, than "in style" and cold.

Ryan

Style?....Of course we gotta be in style! We're sheephunters!!!!.....Lets see, Sheep rifle, Barneys packs, Hilleberg, Swarovski, Lowas, wiggy's bag, etc. etc......not to mention, a first class, round trip ticket to the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Style?....Of course we gotta be in style! We're sheephunters!!!!.....Lets see, Sheep rifle, Barneys packs, Hilleberg, Swarovski, Lowas, wiggy's bag, etc. etc......not to mention, a first class, round trip ticket to the middle of nowhere.
    Yep and for sheep I won't even book with a flight service that doesn't run a 100% bonafied Piper Super Cub! For goats it's gotta be a DeHavilland Beaver. The 180 and 206 are for lowly moose and bou hunters