Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Moose hunting west of Kashwitna and Willow?

  1. #1
    Member billy jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wasilla AK
    Posts
    182

    Default Moose hunting west of Kashwitna and Willow?

    I just bought some property on Langman Lake west of Kashwitna about 15 miles in. My question is how is the moose hunting in that area? I'm wanting to fly in for a week this fall and give er hell. There's 3 lakes within 2 miles of each other and from the air last month I saw tons of moose sign. Anyone hunt out there, Kroto creek ,Deshka, Trapper creek, lake area? Thanks Billy

  2. #2
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,646

    Default

    There are moose out there. I have a friend that has killed moose out in that area and both times it was simply being persistant with calling. Unfortunately, it's a tough area to hunt with it being so flat and treed. Not many vantage points to glass from.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  3. #3
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,287

    Default

    hunting by canoe or raft on the creeks may work well....i have a similar plan to try out for black bears pretty soon.



    Release Lake Trout

  4. #4

    Wink

    No doubt, you obviously saw the Siesmic Lines traversing and crisscrossing all four sides of the lakes and extending in all directions from there. Well, at each intersection there is a tree stand, permanently built by the local cabin owners. Willow Air used to fly hunters in there, but not anymore. You are sitting smack dab in the middle of some of the finest Bear Habitat in the world. Do yourself and the Moose a favor and concentrate your efforts on the Bears Demise. Black Bears and Browns both are thicker than thieves in your area. Moose have been pretty well decimated by the wolves and bears there. It will take some doing on everyone's part to turn it around. What few moose remain there, should be left for seed and moose taken from other parts of the state where they are plentiful.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky
    Posts
    592

    Default Moose #'s

    They're better than they have been in years, thanks in large part to the aggressive predator management program in the area...in 16 of course. Whether its been too aggressive or not is another thread. The fact remains the Moose population is better than it has been in years. AKDoug is right- really tough to spot and stalk, best luck will be when they are moving and getting ready to rut- remember the antler restrictions, as I see a LOT of bulls with 2 and 2 and 40-45"...not to insult your ability to judge 'em, just pointing it out.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Did you get you a black bear?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Did you get you a black bear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    hunting by canoe or raft on the creeks may work well....i have a similar plan to try out for black bears pretty soon.

  8. #8
    Member mjm316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ehaleng View Post
    Did you get you a black bear?
    Dude! This post is 6-1/2 yrs old! Talk about resurrecting a dead thread!!!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •