Thread: Moose hunting west of Kashwitna and Willow?

Default Moose hunting west of Kashwitna and Willow?

I just bought some property on Langman Lake west of Kashwitna about 15 miles in. My question is how is the moose hunting in that area? I'm wanting to fly in for a week this fall and give er hell. There's 3 lakes within 2 miles of each other and from the air last month I saw tons of moose sign. Anyone hunt out there, Kroto creek ,Deshka, Trapper creek, lake area? Thanks Billy

There are moose out there. I have a friend that has killed moose out in that area and both times it was simply being persistant with calling. Unfortunately, it's a tough area to hunt with it being so flat and treed. Not many vantage points to glass from.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

hunting by canoe or raft on the creeks may work well....i have a similar plan to try out for black bears pretty soon.

Release Lake Trout

Wink

No doubt, you obviously saw the Siesmic Lines traversing and crisscrossing all four sides of the lakes and extending in all directions from there. Well, at each intersection there is a tree stand, permanently built by the local cabin owners. Willow Air used to fly hunters in there, but not anymore. You are sitting smack dab in the middle of some of the finest Bear Habitat in the world. Do yourself and the Moose a favor and concentrate your efforts on the Bears Demise. Black Bears and Browns both are thicker than thieves in your area. Moose have been pretty well decimated by the wolves and bears there. It will take some doing on everyone's part to turn it around. What few moose remain there, should be left for seed and moose taken from other parts of the state where they are plentiful.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Moose #'s

They're better than they have been in years, thanks in large part to the aggressive predator management program in the area...in 16 of course. Whether its been too aggressive or not is another thread. The fact remains the Moose population is better than it has been in years. AKDoug is right- really tough to spot and stalk, best luck will be when they are moving and getting ready to rut- remember the antler restrictions, as I see a LOT of bulls with 2 and 2 and 40-45"...not to insult your ability to judge 'em, just pointing it out.

Did you get you a black bear?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    hunting by canoe or raft on the creeks may work well....i have a similar plan to try out for black bears pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ehaleng View Post
    Dude! This post is 6-1/2 yrs old! Talk about resurrecting a dead thread!!!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway