Thread: S&W 329 - Can't get all the carbon off the cylinder

Default S&W 329 - Can't get all the carbon off the cylinder

I have used Hoppes and M-Pro7. I know a few members have these guns, what are you guys using?

I use the treated patches from a Wilson lead remover. Comes clean real easy.

I soak mine real good in kroil then brush it good with a brass tooth brush get's it just about all off
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I mis-spoke. It's the Lewis lead remover. And the patching didn't come with it. This is the patching I use.

Kleen-bore lead remover cloth. I can't get it all off though, its always stained a little. Smith warns against using anything abrasive on the cylinder. The ti basically oxidizes to a natural finish and if you bust through that finish it will re-oxidize. Done over and over I guess you could actually be removing some material.

If the carbon is more of a stain, and not a build up, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yup, either the BC or kleen bore cloths are great products. Just don't use them on a blued firearm. They can strip the blue.

MPro-7 is the only cleaner I've found that actually removes all the carbon stains from revolver cylinders. It does take awhile though and is probably longer than most folks care to spend cleaning a cylinder face.
    Now what ?

I just picked up some Wipeout at SW so we will see how that does. Anyone use Flintz?

I have reached the age where I clean the gun and don't worry if some dark rings are still on the end of the cylinder. Lots of new Rugers come with them already there from test fireing.

The carbon I am trying to get off is on the body of the cylinder. There is some on the face also but I am not concerned with that.

Default carbon stain removal

Buddy of mine showed me the ultimate trick.
    Use an erasure. I was scrubbing the end of the cylinder of my stainless single six when he showed me. Works like a champ.