Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Abuse

Default Fish Abuse

Seems like every year while I'm out and about enjoying the different fishing spots I witness severe cases of fish abuse. I see people dragging fish on to dirty, sandy ground and beat their catch about the head and side with various types of blunt instruments so violently that you would think they caught a cheating spouse instead of a fish. The catch is often left laying on the ground in the dirt for hours. These same folks talk about how nasty the fish taste.

I would just ask that everyone remembers that fish retained are food. I have never seen an angler beat the mess out of their lunch throw it on the ground for hours then come back to eat it.

So, all you fish abusers, next time hit them only on the head, not the flesh. Bleed them out and put them on ice. Treat them like food from the time they leave the water and see if they don't make better table fare.

Rant over.

Tight Lines All

Steve

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Seems like every year while I'm out and about enjoying the different fishing spots I witness severe cases of fish abuse. I see people dragging fish on to dirty, sandy ground and beat their catch about the head and side with various types of blunt instruments so violently that you would think they caught a cheating spouse instead of a fish. The catch is often left laying on the ground in the dirt for hours. These same folks talk about how nasty the fish taste.

I would just ask that everyone remembers that fish retained are food. I have never seen an angler beat the mess out of their lunch throw it on the ground for hours then come back to eat it.

So, all you fish abusers, next time hit them only on the head, not the flesh. Bleed them out and put them on ice. Treat them like food from the time they leave the water and see if they don't make better table fare.

Rant over.

Tight Lines All

Steve
    Personally I could care less about how one treats their food. They have to be the one's to eat it. But I am overly disturbed when I see this same level of treatment, you describe and then thrown back in the water. I am also deeply disturbed when I see a flotilla of carcass' of bottomfish of every species floating in a line from Charter Boats. The Golden Eyed Red Rock Bass are the ones I am concerned most about, as far as being trashed by the Charter Boats. Catch and Release Fishing of any kind goes against my grain though.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

yea, it is rather strange the way people attack their fish, like an angry deranged caveman

Release Lake Trout

Default You...

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    ...Catch and Release Fishing of any kind goes against my grain though.
    ... are an unenlightened Troglodite. Don't you know that fish are for playing with?

I have given numerous people a piece of my mind for dragging fish they don't intend to keep, or can't keep. Usually doesn't seem to phase them though.

Default But...

Don't you guys know it's easier to get the hook out if you bonk them a couple of times. That way they don't flop around so much before you throw them back.

It's even worse when you can sit there and watch their kids doing the same thing! We watched a little guy beat a fish at Willow creek last year, each time that fish would flinch he'd hit again, with encouragement from "Dad".....
    I don't see a reason to beat my meat. Stick it, bleed it, and toss it on ice....simple.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default usually

If I plan on keeping the fish I'll knock it once on top of the head, bleed it and be done. It doesn't take much if you hit them right. If I'm releasing the fish I don't even take them out of the water. Grab their tail and roll them on their side, they calm right down. Take the hook and away they go.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I have given numerous people a piece of my mind for dragging fish they don't intend to keep, or can't keep. Usually doesn't seem to phase them though.
    I know. Isn't it amazing how some people don't realize that what a person is trying to tell them to HELP them enjoy their fishing experience that much more is taken totally in the wrong way!? Some people just seem to take it the wrong way.

I had one guy tell me once on the Kasilof, as he kicked a fish back into the water, "It's not against the law is it!?" Can you imagine the audacity?
    Last edited by Muttley Crew Fishing; 04-16-2010 at 18:02. Reason: Edited

Yep, one of my pet peeves, too.

How many guys that shoot a game animal for meat leave it lame-wounded to writhe in agony and suffering until it is overwhelmed by death? Shows a lot of respect for the animal and the sport, eh?

The C&R aspect of the abuse issue also gets my goat. Some dip$hiat snags a sockeye in the arse and feels compelled to drag it 20-30 ft up the bank. All the while the fish is rolling around in the dirt/mud/gravel until it looks like your kid's favorite doughnut with chocolate sprinkles. Then Mr Dip$hiat Ripper stomps on the fish mid-body, complaining/cursing about "another one foul-hooked", as he violently jerks the hook in utter disgust. The encounter ends with him giving the fish a swift kick back into the water to send it on its way.... straight to the riverbottom where it rolls on downstream.

GDITMMM!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

after i catch my fish i like to take it out to a nice dinner and a movie, then romance it some afterwards and wisper sweet nothings into its ear, then i carve it up and vacuum pack it for a later meal.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    after i catch my fish i like to take it out to a nice dinner and a movie, then romance it some afterwards and wisper sweet nothings into its ear, then i carve it up and vacuum pack it for a later meal.
    I'm sorry, and I hate to say it, but that's just immoral. Skip the movie, dude!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Don't you guys know it's easier to get the hook out if you bonk them a couple of times. That way they don't flop around so much before you throw them back.
    LOL...sounds like a certain demographic at the grocery store...er, I mean hatchery, here....
    Nice Marmot.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    It's even worse when you can sit there and watch their kids doing the same thing! We watched a little guy beat a fish at Willow creek last year, each time that fish would flinch he'd hit again, with encouragement from "Dad".....
    I don't see a reason to beat my meat. Stick it, bleed it, and toss it on ice....simple.
    I hear ya, nothing is worse then seeing ppl training their kids to disrespect the resource. See that here every year it seems. To me, even if it is a gator-chum, the fish still deserves respect.
    Nice Marmot.

If killing fish is a sin.. well, I'm going to be in trouble!

That being said, I agree with the OP. It's amazing to me how most people just don't know how to unhook a fish without a giant wrestling match with it on the bank. Or, how bleed/gut/gill/ice salmon. It tastes so much better!

That's why is so important that we take kids out fishing, and show them how to do it, the right way. We can complain all we want, but if we aren't educating, they'll never get it figured out.

I know. You just try as hard as you can to tell people what is proper and they just have their own idea of what is right or wrong and take you to task for it.

I am amazed at the number of people at places like the Kasilof that have "abused" fish or "stretched the rules" and when I've talked to them about it I was afraid they were going to get abusive toward me. I guess some people just don't want to hear what you have to say and will do whatever they can to make sure you know that's not their idea of how things should be done.

I saw a guy pull a king out of the water at the Kasilof once and when I saw him actually kick it back into the water I told him what the rules were about doing what he had just done and I was really afraid he was going to pull the pistol he was packing out of its holster and threaten me with it. He was not at all happy about me telling him what the law was. Just imagine what his kids will be like. It takes all types.

Default This is why

This entire thread is exactly why we bought a salt boat several years ago. We too got tired of all the hassel; ranging from the abusers to the saviours!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I guess some people just don't want to hear what you have to say and will do whatever they can to make sure you know that's not their idea of how things should be done.
    If someone politely states something that is correct, most reasonable people will at least hear out the discussion.

If someone pompously spouts out abusive statements that may be incorrect (), the respondent typically replies in a related tone.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    If someone politely states something that is correct, most reasonable people will at least hear out the discussion.

If someone pompously spouts out abusive statements that may be incorrect (), the respondent typically replies in a related tone.
    That's not my experience. That guy on the Kasilof wanted to shoot me. I was quite polite in explaining what the rules were, but he just wouldn't hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I know. You just try as hard as you can to tell people what is proper and they just have their own idea of what is right or wrong and take you to task for it.

I am amazed at the number of people at places like the Kasilof that have "abused" fish or "stretched the rules" and when I've talked to them about it I was afraid they were going to get abusive toward me. I guess some people just don't want to hear what you have to say and will do whatever they can to make sure you know that's not their idea of how things should be done.

I saw a guy pull a king out of the water at the Kasilof once and when I saw him actually kick it back into the water I told him what the rules were about doing what he had just done and I was really afraid he was going to pull the pistol he was packing out of its holster and threaten me with it. He was not at all happy about me telling him what the law was. Just imagine what his kids will be like. It takes all types.
    Most days on the Russian you see people breaking the rules/abusing the fish. First year fishing it seen a guy have a salmon hooked in the belly, fish got in the current and was bent almost in half. I yelled at the guy that it was snagged and did he want me to pop the hook out as by this point the fish was down river to me. The glare he gave me said enough, he horsed it in and onto the bank and beat the fish over the head. After the abuse that fish had just being brought in, I am almost glad he didn't release it.

Was on the Russian last year when the guy kept the King which was later found by I think the crew that cleans up the river tossed in the bushes. I wasn't there when he caught/bonked it but was walking by as he was posing for pictures. Was also a group of guys from I think NY that took up their limit to their RV and then came back and started fresh, reported them at the gate as we were leaving though doubt anything came about.

Will say I am not one that is going to cause a stir on rule breakers. If I know there is a F&G guy around I may go report it but not about to get shot by some ass over a fish. I have a friend though I am almost surprised he hasn't been. He will get on a persons case bad if they are breaking the rules.

You said a mouthful there, Mashesta. Some people are just scary. You've got to know when to just let it go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast