Thread: clam gulch

Default clam gulch

in mid july me and the family will be taking a trip to do some clamming in the clam gulch area, i wanted to ask about the forum and see if there is any good fishing in the area during that time if not we will still have a blast on the beaches but id prefer to come home with more then some clams, and are there any better spots then clam gulch in the area i hear things about a boat launch

Ninilchick has good clamming. I would say better than clam gulch.

If you go to clam gulch, it is best to get away from the main area below the campground. Head south on the beach for a mile or so to get to the better clams. The farther you get from the campground, the better the clamming.

You can always book a halibut charter while there. Great fun.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I guess no one's going to help you, so I'll do my best. What kind of fishing are you looking to do? Stream or ocean? I fish about 95% or the time out in saltwater after kings and halibut, but I also have been fishing the Kenai and the Kasilof for about 18 years now, so could help you with any questions there, too.

There are a lot of opportunities for both. If you'll let me know I'll give you your best options for that time period.

BTW---the "boat launch" that you speak of is south of Clam Gulch at either Deep Creek or Anchor Point. You have to have a trailered boat with good side guides on it (not to mention the $40 to $50 they charge to launch and retrieve you) to use the tractor launches. But it's certainly a good way to get to the fish out there.

Default >>>------->

Johnson Lake is nearby and has nice trout fishing along with a nice campground.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSean View Post
    Johnson Lake is nearby and has nice trout fishing along with a nice campground.
    Yes it does, but bring the deet!

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Yes it does, but bring the deet!
    Skin So Soft!

There should be a "few" fish in the Russian at that time.

Last time I checked, Anchor Pt. was up to $60-65. They are getting a little carried away down there. Hopefully, it will slow down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I guess no one's going to help you, so I'll do my best. What kind of fishing are you looking to do? Stream or ocean? I fish about 95% or the time out in saltwater after kings and halibut, but I also have been fishing the Kenai and the Kasilof for about 18 years now, so could help you with any questions there, too.

There are a lot of opportunities for both. If you'll let me know I'll give you your best options for that time period.

BTW---the "boat launch" that you speak of is south of Clam Gulch at either Deep Creek or Anchor Point. You have to have a trailered boat with good side guides on it (not to mention the $40 to $50 they charge to launch and retrieve you) to use the tractor launches. But it's certainly a good way to get to the fish out there.

thanks for the replies so far and as far as stream or ocean honestly i am open to fishing anywhere i can that can be done from the banks as i dont have a boat and a charter doesnt fit into the family budget this year

i was hoping to hook up with some salmon, either ocean or river but if all i can get is some trout i will definately hit the lakess, and yes deet is a must when fishing pretty much anywhere up here

Depending on what way you are driving, you could go through Skilak lake road and hit up some of those lakes. Good shore fishing on a few of em.

and FWIW, me and the wife went out last week. As has been said, the further you get away from easily accessible areas the better the clamming gets.

Depending on exactly when you plan on making your trip I'd try either the lower Kenai or the Kasilof for reds. There are days during mid-July that see a LOT of them entering those rivers. Here's a link to a chart that shows what the numbers are like: http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...kenaisock.html

thats good i was looking at a map and i cross both rivers to get there we have two young kids so we wont be able to hike in real far will there be any decent fishing close to road access points?

Oh definitely. The Kenai has quite a few access points right in Soldotna, though any place that's road accessible obviously is going to have quite a few other people fishing there.

The Kasilof also has one good access point that I really like. The Crooked Creek parking and camping area has a nice big parking area with an easy paved walk down to the river. There is a long stretch of river there that is fishable. Of course, once again, there are going to be a lot of other people there if there are decent numbers of fish in the river.

are there pretty strict regs there something like single artificial only, i have never fished the kenai or kasilof

If I were you I'd get a copy of the fishing regs for the Kenai Peninsula and read them VERY carefully for wherever you want to fish. The Kenai has different regs for different parts of the river and they can be quite complex. The Kasilof is a little less complicated. But whatever you do read them carefully and understand what if legal and what isn't. Then if you have any questions just ask.

Here's a link to the regs for the Kenai Peninsula: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...al/SCkenai.pdf