Thread: fishing on big lakes in a freighter?

Default fishing on big lakes in a freighter?

Anyone use the HB or other freighter to fish on big lakes that can blow up quickly? This will be my 1st year with the Hudson bay for fishing season,used it a bit last year mostly on the rivers as I got it in fall. Anyone have experience with them in rough water? Hopefully should be an early spring and be able to get out a bit earlier than normal.

Default Big water canoes

The Hudson Bay boats were designed for big water...
    they were born in the big lakes and windy areas of eastern Canada.
    Hudson bay...
    I have seen some great footage of these boats on open water where the banks were to far to see..
    As a note !!!! They will not do every water every time!!!
    Anywater can get to rough for any vessel..
    Most folks that get into trouble on bad water, are on a timeline of some kind and feel the need to get home or to the place they are destined,,
    Yesterday I was on Cook inlet out of Homer... the seas were just big enough that travel was slowed and a little lumpy for a smalle boat to make decent time..
    I found a quiet place a few miles from the spit and caught some fish, had a great time and came home happy and safe, even though I did not make compass rose destination...
    but as far as big water boat? wind? ... they are great crafts..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

They do very well, was out in LK Louise in some nasty water last fall. Boat did well they do take on quite a bit of spray and it is not the driest boat. Am thinking of having a canvas made with hoop in forward section, with a spray skirt that tapers back. To cut back on wind driven spray. They use them quite a bit in the Great Slave lakes in NWT, from what I have heard. Being a displacment type of hull and long enough they do quite well in rough water. Yukoner (Ted) has used them for years in waters around Whitehorse YT.

I've used the HB on several large lakes.....they do well and ride nice but there are limits to all boats....a spray skirt would be nice. One owner here in Delta has has a full length cover/skirt with opening for the operator...

Would love to see a pic of his cover, trying to design one for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    They do very well, was out in LK Louise in some nasty water last fall. Boat did well they do take on quite a bit of spray and it is not the driest boat. Am thinking of having a canvas made with hoop in forward section, with a spray skirt that tapers back. To cut back on wind driven spray. They use them quite a bit in the Great Slave lakes in NWT, from what I have heard. Being a displacment type of hull and long enough they do quite well in rough water. Yukoner (Ted) has used them for years in waters around Whitehorse YT.
    Here is my HB in the Great Slave many miles from shore.

There aren't a lot of these in the NWT so far Mine is the only one I have seen. I have run it about 9 years now. I like a 20 HP 4 stroke. I have had it on rough enough water to be surfing. Definately scary. I carry a drogue in case I lose my engine to keep the length to the waves. 21 feet can defeat a lot of problems. 58" beam not so much.

In my mind the advantage of these canoes is that for the weight they are very sea worthy. They are also light enough to drag ashore almost anywhere when it gets truly rough. I no longer run mine as far from shore as the picture indicates. A bit of caution is needed in big water.

Reading, "Heavy Weather Boating Emergencies" by Chuck Luttrell is a good place to start.

for a big lake boat, would the hudsonbay be as good in rough weather as a open 16' to 18' aluminum such as a lund

sorry double post