Thread: Strong flying birds for pointing dog training near Fairbanks wanted.

Default Strong flying birds for pointing dog training near Fairbanks wanted.

I am after some birds for training the new pup this spring. Pigeons, chukars, or something that has had room to develop some flight. Does anyone have any leads? I will raise some myself but it will be late summer before they are big enough. I could drive a ways.

Thanks,

-TOM

I've heard you can rent pigeon traps from Cold Spot Rental. Then just find a local business tired of being swarmed with the beggars and catch some. I'm thinking of doing some of that myself...anyone have some leads on areas to trap and best bait foods?

I think in the interior pigeons are probably your best bet. I might be wrong but I don't know of anyone raising game birds for sell in the interior anymore. I didn't know cold spot rented traps. If they do that might not be to bad. You can also buy them online. I like to use cracked corn or chicken scratch to bait my traps. Usually I set them out in the spring with a lot of bait in them and I keep the doors up till they are feeding heavily in the trap. Then I set the doors and check them each day for a couple of days. After that I leave the doors up with bait in the trap for a few days. Doing a cycle like this is good, let them feed for free for a few days and only trap a couple days a week. Putting a water dish in the cage helps a little too. Pigeon moods seem to change a lot like all animals, the last few years I have had a couple years were I had trouble catching enough for me and a couple years were I was getting more than me and 2 others could use. Drive around town and look for the birds, go in and ask a nearby business if you can put a trap on there building. Some people will say no and others will be happy to help. Be sure to ask though.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.