Thread: Long Salmon trolling Rod question

Default Long Salmon trolling Rod question

I just ordered 2 avets to add to my aresonal of tackle. I always see people with 8' plus rods for trolling. The majority of my rods are about 7'. What is the purpose for the longer rod? I tried using search, but nothing stated why. When I google, I got tired of running into fly rod articles.

There's a feeling that you crank the tip way down while trolling on a downrigger so that when the line pulls free from the clip, the snap of the rod sets the hook.

I'm not sold on it, but that tell you I spend most of my time fishing without lowering the downrigger. In my mind those longer rods are just about useless for anything but downriggers. Have one for downriggers if it makes you feel better, but don't make it your only salmon rod.

I have never salmon fished, but I have used downriggers for king mackeral. Not sure how the extra bend would work when you should have slack in the line from the clip popping then setting the hook since you are trolling. I have a 7' that I like trolling with and works good for jigging. But I wanted to see if there was any particular reason to get a longer rod before I bought 2 more of them.

I troll for salmon with downriggers all the time and all I use are 7' rods at the most. I even have some 6'6" rods that I use commonly.

I think Brown Bear is spot on about the reason for using a longer one, but I personally don't think the rod snapping up really does that much in setting the hook per se. And I don't think having an 8 footer vs. a 7 footer is really going to make that much of a difference. It might help pick up that slack that you talk about and that's essentially why I put a good bend in the rod---the less slack you get there the less chance the fish is going to have of throwing the hook. But I personally prefer a shorter rod like that. I've got an underwater video system I hook up to my downrigger ball, so I can see what happens when a salmon grabs the bait. You'd be amazed at how quickly they can throw a hook, so getting as much slack out of your line as quickly as you possibly can certainly is advantageous.

I like long rods for mooching, and even longer rods for trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I. I've got an underwater video system I hook up to my downrigger ball, so I can see what happens when a salmon grabs the bait. You'd be amazed at how quickly they can throw a hook, so getting as much slack out of your line as quickly as you possibly can certainly is advantageous.
    can you post a video online? I would love to see that.

An 8'6" Lami Mooching Special is my favorite mooching rod, although I've used 9' Loomis rods for years. For trolling a 10' fiberglass rod is just about right.

Default Pros to longer rods..

Here's a discussion from a while back giving some pros and cons to using longer rods while backtrolling. I know you guys are mostly talking about trolling with downriggers, but sometimes the two methods are similar enough that I thought this could be relevant...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...65C#post242401

Btw...I use the 10.5 footers both trolling with a downrigger, and backtrolling rivers. Love the longer rods. Just feels like I have much more control over everything with the extra couple of feet of rod.

Trolling herring for salmon is done best with long, soft tipped rods. The salmon often chew on the herring and then turn to the side where the hook set usually occurs. A long rod and soft tip help the salmon take the bait before they feel the tension of a shorter rod. A lighter drag setting is also a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    can you post a video online? I would love to see that.
    I've got a whole bunch posted on my website. Take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinglonsalmon View Post
    Trolling herring for salmon is done best with long, soft tipped rods. The salmon often chew on the herring and then turn to the side where the hook set usually occurs. A long rod and soft tip help the salmon take the bait before they feel the tension of a shorter rod. A lighter drag setting is also a good idea.
    Maybe for flat lining. I'd agree with that if your line wasn't attached to a downrigger clip. When it's attached to a clip the rod action, whether it's 6 ft. or 10 ft. has no bearing on what happens when the salmon grabs your herring. Use a rod that you just like fishing with.

Take a look at my videos of salmon hitting my herring. There is absolutely no mouthing of the herring. More often than not they hit it with quite a bit of force and that's usually enough to set the hook right there.

Default long rod !

I agree with the long rod group. I use the Shimano TDX rods for trolling whether it's on the downriggers or just using divers. Theres a lot of strain on a rod used for trolling, the longer rod (soft tip) helps absorb a lot of that. I've seen gucci graphite rods that were too short reduced to rubble while trolling. Stick with glass, they will last and are quite cheep by comparison.
    Mike

Longer rods are also more forgiving when you get a big fish up to the boat. A stiff, shorter rod will cost ya when that 60lb king surges near the boat!

Default Dipsy

What about a 10ft for Dipsy divers? To space out rods from the downriggers.