Thread: Aire Traveler Canoe

Default Aire Traveler Canoe

I know this section is for kayaks but it seems the best place to list this question. Been researching inflatables for hunting. Something to carry on the air charter to Kodiak so we can cruise up and down the coast and small rivers. It would need to hold two adults, guns, day packs etc and maybe a couple of boned out deer on the return. Most likely it would be propelled by a 2-2.5 hp motor. Might also be used to cruise smaller waters while moose hunting. And finally, it might be occassionly used on the Kenai so we can avoid the combat fishing and find out own red holes.

So far the Aire Traveler is my first choice. Like the idea of the raised seats which can be moved around. Did some reading on the Gary King 15 and 17 inflatables as well but the seats cant be moved and the motor would be right behind the rear seat making it poke into your back and difficult to steer.

Does anyone here own a Traveler? If you do, what is your opinion of it?
    Tennessee

Default I don't own a Traveler....But...

Have you looked at the Super Duper Puma from Aire?

Not quite the same specs as the Traveler, but more versatile in regards to what your plans for it are. I have a Super Puma with a fishing frame, and it would mount up a 2.5 horse readily.

Good luck on the search.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default transom placement

the transom placement on the Jim King canoe works great acording to the fellows that logged over 500 miles on them on the yukon trib on the moose hunt. they used 2 hp hondas, and motor the river constant for 10 days.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default traveler

I just used one that I bought from alaska raft and kayak. Had a rowing frame with a transom built and it worked GREAT. Just see Tracy and ask him about the set up that he built for Tom from NC. I will see if I can find the pictures. I put a little 3 hp from mercury,28 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    the transom placement on the Jim King canoe works great acording to the fellows that logged over 500 miles on them on the yukon trib on the moose hunt. they used 2 hp hondas, and motor the river constant for 10 days.

Dont see how you can sit in the seat and steer the motor at the same time. The motor mount is the rear of the seat. Once the motor is mounted it, and the tiller handle would take up all the seat space.

However, I just noticed this company has canoes as well:
    http://www.incept.co.nz/inflatable-canoes.htm

Any opinions of them?

The Puma seems nice but trying to keep the weight of the boat under 70 pounds.
    Tennessee

And now someone directed me to the Soars:
    http://www.soar1.com/soar_14.htm

Am pretty open to any of them at this point. Any local people sell Soar?
    Tennessee

please delete, this belongs in the canoe forum
    Tennessee

Smile Canoes and skinny Rafts

Hello Randy,

Here at Alaska Raft Connection, we have makes/models of just about every boat made mention in your inquiry.

A few select highest quality inflatables we use on fully-guided tours as well as for the self-guided trip rentals.

We have AIRE Travelers... knowing that these represent about the finest, most forgiving down-river designs for fun whitewater trips. We commonly run gear aboard our cats or rafts while people have a blast paddling without concern of loosing anything. Boat stays nimble, fun and self-bails. Pile gear or add a mount w/ motor = boat is not as fun or forgiving.

I'll tell you, (not on here) the boats we will not use or 'experiment with' for our services (and would not recommend in general) often show up with very similar problems/issues in our repair facility. Most of these symptoms can be remedied... project boats as we call 'em turn out of our shop more rugged and gone over (assessments/workmanship) with a higher attention to detail than factory new out of box. These problem boats are not all that well made (or consistently made), slugs on performance, not all that forgiving, weird warranties, or need ungainly motor mounting contraptions.

All brands have certain traits. Certain brands/models and quality fabrications are praise-worthy for established high cards while some are noteworthy for defined problem areas.

Looking at some of your points of interest for a new (or used) inflatable:
    1.) not another raft... but just as reliable in terms of commercial grade construction.
    2.) something kinda skinny with stability
    3.) weight is a concern around 70-80 lbs and somewhat packable having good strength to weight ratio
    4.) Motor mounting is an important option
    5.) Capacity like interior room, max-load w/ performance, easily movable seating.

If I am correct on these 5 points of interest - Good Idea to come check all these out on our guide boats, rental boats, repair floor, and new retail outlet.

Most of what you are seeking does exist. Yet... as you are finding out... It is not a Puma-style 'raft' and not a PP, Trav., wanna be Metz. copy, or the overly expensive Grab.