Thread: baiting the haul road

Default baiting the haul road

Has anyone ever baited north of coldfoot? I have 40 days off and was thinking of going up there and set up a small bait station and hunt off it for a few weeks clean it up and head home, figured if notthing was hitting the bait I could glass for grizzly. Anyone have any opinions or ideas?

I believe only the Koyukuk CUA is open to bear baiting in unit 24. Make sure you verify in the regulations and confirm where you hunt is open to baiting.

Also just a general reminder; you can not take a brown bear that may have been influenced by your black bear baiting site. In other words if a brown bear is coming in on your station; you can not harvest it.
    I realize you were not implying you would take a brown bear over bait; F&G just gets wary when you harvest a brown bear near your baiting site. Just a heads up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Has anyone ever baited north of coldfoot? I have 40 days off and was thinking of going up there and set up a small bait station and hunt off it for a few weeks clean it up and head home, figured if notthing was hitting the bait I could glass for grizzly. Anyone have any opinions or ideas?
    when i worked up there the First Koyukuk river crossing is the furthest i have ever seen a black bear. there just before the Rosie creek. after Marion creek at cold foot nothing but grizz.. not to say you MAY see one.. i just would not put a lot of effort into it. the cover get thin fast and becomes Griz country...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Talking thanks

Well my ignorance almost cause me to do something illegal, I guess baiting is out of the question did not realize unit 24 was closed for baiting Thanks for pointing it out to me. Lessoned learned always double check the reg's, I must have read that book hundreds of time over the years and I guess you cant remember it all.
    I have seen alot of black bear sign north of coldfoot, had a smaller one come into camp and drink my coffee .
    i guess I will just hunt grizzly's and blackies by glassing and stalking.

think about using predator call, main thing is to call constantly. they must have ADD as they will turn away shortly after you stop.
    I can not recall seeing any black bears north of south fork of the koyukuk. I'm sure there are some but they tend to thin out
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Go no further north than the South Fork Koyukuk valley (26 mi S of Coldfoot)

There are black bears there for sure
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

There are black bears all the way to just before Chandalar Shelf. The biggest black bear I have ever seen in this state was on the other side of the Dietrich river just this side of Chandalar, easily over a 7ft black. Have seen several of them on both sides of the Dietrich from Coldfoot to Chandalar, big ones and little ones. And obviously there are a good number of them between the Bridge and Coldfoot. But beware, there are lots of griz as you get north of the first Koyukuk bridge, and if you put out a bait....you'll see em.

Default no bait

Yeah well baiting is out of the question but I am primarily going up tp look for grizzly a do some glassing and stalking. I have seen some blackies north of wiseman and also seen some big boys up there. Planning on going up approx 15 may for at least 10 days we will see.