Thread: haul road bears

Default haul road bears

Well I am going to head up the haul road for griz and blackies on approx 14,, 15 May, planning on staying up there for approx 10 days, anyone else going to be up there? debating to haul my slide in camper or tent it. would love to know if others are planning to hunt the area,

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

depending on how far up your going... CAMPER.. days will be warming up but nights can get darned cold espessally north of cold foot and the pass...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Griz north of the pass/ on Haul Rd

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    depending on how far up your going... CAMPER.. days will be warming up but nights can get darned cold espessally north of cold foot and the pass...
    Don't think he's going to hunt Griz north of the Pass.............needs to draw the permit and the dates to hunt them are Aug 25- Dec 31

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Don't think he's going to hunt Griz north of the Pass.............needs to draw the permit and the dates to hunt them are Aug 25- Dec 31
    Not true. I submitted a proposal to Fish and Game several years ago to eliminate the draw in the spring. Their reason for the draw was too many opportunistic caribou bowhunters going after grizzlies unprepared. My argument was that the majority of the grizzly hunting is done in May, when caribou season is not open, so the hunt would be specific to grizzlies at that time, so no discrimination is necessary then. Low and behold they passed it, and I managed to benefit from it with a spring grizzly.

Check the regs, general season is open until May 31st in 26B.

Default 26b?

I did not know that either, I didnt plan to hunt north of the pass was actually thinking of chandler shelf and mainly south glassing for bears. Boy do I feel like a dummy i few years ago I seen a nice grizzly in may in unit 26b right before the pass and I was like dam cant hunt it dont have a permit, ended up getting a smaller one just north of Wiseman. So I cant really complain

Jerod, Yeah I see that the regs Aug 25-May 31.....but whats confusing is the 2010-2011 Draw hunt supplement says Aug 25- Dec 31.

whats also confusing is it states (DHMCA) for 26B driveable surface from the Yukon River to Arctic ocean........well 26B only runs from Atigun pass to Arctic ocean right?

Doesn't matter, I don't look for Griz up there anyway, unless one crosses my path.....Just trying to clarify some totally vague issues that are in the supplement...

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    I did not know that either, I didnt plan to hunt north of the pass was actually thinking of chandler shelf and mainly south glassing for bears. Boy do I feel like a dummy i few years ago I seen a nice grizzly in may in unit 26b right before the pass and I was like dam cant hunt it dont have a permit, ended up getting a smaller one just north of Wiseman. So I cant really complain
    He was legal, no need for a drawing permit in the spring, just a $25 locking tag and they might have gotten rid of that starting July 1, 2010 as well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    He was legal, no need for a drawing permit in the spring, just a $25 locking tag and they might have gotten rid of that starting July 1, 2010 as well.
    that locking tag was for all of region III so after July one your correct, no more locking tags for interior grizz... (does not apply to non - res)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Question locking tag?

So correct me if I am wrong I will need a tag for this spring? no issues really just want to clarify.

Wiso, I heard of a grizz being seen just south of prudhoe a week ago already....buddy is one of the helo pilots. Thought I'd pass it along good luck and post pics !!!

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    So correct me if I am wrong I will need a tag for this spring? no issues really just want to clarify.
    YES you will... until July one....

meet on face book here