Thread: Harp Mt. Report - 4/15

Thumbs up Harp Mt. Report - 4/15

I skied Harp tonight, and I am not exagerating when I say that is some of the best snow I have skied in years. Seriously. It was absolutely phenomenal. I skinned up the ridge to about 500' short of the summit. There were two other skiers above me that had to boot it from where I stopped, then on the decent it took them 10 minutes to decend back down to my elevation due to the exposed rocks. Below that, though, it was buttery, soft, ridiculously nice ego snow. Conditions seemed really stable other than a couple of small point release slides up in the rocks. Nothing propagated from those slides more than 30 feet or so.

If you've got time in the next few days, the backcountry conditions are stellar. It was cool enough up high that it's not going to crust over - at least not tomorrow. Hit it while it's still here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I skied Harp tonight, and I am not exagerating when I say that is some of the best snow I have skied in years. Seriously. It was absolutely phenomenal. I skinned up the ridge to about 500' short of the summit. There were two other skiers above me that had to boot it from where I stopped, then on the decent it took them 10 minutes to decend back down to my elevation due to the exposed rocks. Below that, though, it was buttery, soft, ridiculously nice ego snow. Conditions seemed really stable other than a couple of small point release slides up in the rocks. Nothing propagated from those slides more than 30 feet or so.

If you've got time in the next few days, the backcountry conditions are stellar. It was cool enough up high that it's not going to crust over - at least not tomorrow. Hit it while it's still here!
    The conditions are awesome went up by Wolverine yesterday after work. Try to get out if you can!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Agreed conditions yesterday were epic! I opted for the 166 long board and went up peak 3. Tons of great people up there last night and the snow was as good as it gets!

PS to the guy whos ski I caught on the run at the bottom and carried up 2000 ft, you owe me a beer! :-)

Nice work Brian. I forget their is a ski forum on this site. Eagle River has been skiing VERY NICE this year.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Heg View Post
    Nice work Brian. I forget their is a ski forum on this site. Eagle River has been skiing VERY NICE this year.

Josh
    Hey Josh, good to see you on here! Yeah, I heard you've been hitting Gordon Lyon with Eric a bunch. This year has been a tough one for me, as I haven't been able to get out much. I'm happy that I'm able to salvage the end of the season with some nice snow, though. I might make a quick run up Harp again this afternoon, but I'm not certain on that one yet. It's supposed to get sunny for the next few days, though, so I'll certainly take advantage of some of that.

I'm occupied with kids today, but shoot me an email over the next couple weeks if you want to find some after school therapy in the mountains. Gordon Lyon and South Fork have been nice...undisclosed locations in Eagle River Valley have been fantastic.

By the way I had a usage error with their in my first post-rough morning.

What a difference a couple of days can make!

We hit the mountain at about 10am this morning, hoping to get a few laps in before mid afternoon. The bluebird day that was with us at 8am had faded by time we were driving, and as we put on our gear a few flakes started to fall. By time we were halfway up the ridge it was snowing pretty hard and blowing at least 40 kts. The snow had a soft crust - decent above the halfway point, difficult from there down, and just solid at the bottom like skiing on groomers. There was also a pretty good sized slide in the last few days from about 2/3 up the ridge that slid all the way down into the bottom. All said, it wasn't a wasted day, but after one run we weren't eager to fight the wind on the ridge for another run of marginal snow. We did see a coyote up there running around, which was neat to see so close to town. As for skiing, we'll give it another go once the sun pokes out.