Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to prevent trapping dogs.

Default How to prevent trapping dogs.

Wondered how best to avoid trapping dogs. Don't like it one bit. Any advice?

Default Avoiding dogs

well the easiest solution is dont set any major multi-use public trails with larger conibears or foot hold, you really should'nt be setting around the easy access place, ski trails, parks, dog walking areas etc. even though most places have leash ordinances, the "greenies" insist on allowing their dogs to run loose under supposedly " voice command". Dogs and trapping just equals bad news all the way around..

Default How I avoid getting my dogs in traps.

My dogs are of leash because they are hunting. I don't let them off leash near trap lines. This is easy if there are signs or if I have noticed the trap line. The main problem is new trap lines or trap lines that aren't visited enough to have an established trail when I come by, these ones are scary because I don't know about them. I also tend to hunt open country for ptarmigan during trapping season because of my fear that an unnoticed trap may harm the dogs. I will also second the advice about not trapping near popular recreation areas. I appreciate the concern about others in the woods and support responsible trapping.

Good luck out there.

-TOM
    Last edited by 2jumpersplease; 04-16-2010 at 08:01. Reason: grammar

Troll?????
    Nice Marmot.

That is what I think Skookumchuck.

Matt

Default With all due respect

Quote Originally Posted by AKtrpr View Post
    well the easiest solution is dont set any major multi-use public trails with larger conibears or foot hold, you really should'nt be setting around the easy access place, ski trails, parks, dog walking areas etc. even though most places have leash ordinances, the "greenies" insist on allowing their dogs to run loose under supposedly " voice command". Dogs and trapping just equals bad news all the way around..
    I repeat, with all due respect, why would I be a greenie because I have my dog off lead while running the power line in Big Lake thru the swamps? Him running along behind for exercise and me on my ATV or sled. That makes me a greenie? Maybe it makes me a greenie because my dog stepped in a trap that was set, oh, 3 feet off the trail while stopping to water the lilies. Does that make me a greenie, sir? Am I a greenie because I did not read the un-posted sign until it was posted the following week reminding all of the legally protected status of the set in discussion. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the responsible trapper should have walked his fat, lazy kiester a tad more than 3 feet off the trail to set his trap. Unless he's looking to trap a highly prized yellow Lab. What does a prime Lab pelt fetch these days? It's got to be more than Rottweiler.

I have NO problem with trapping, I'm all for it. However when someone suggests that I am required to have my dog on a lead so as to run him along the trails, well that just sounds too much like what coming out of the pieholes in DC these days.
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Default fat lazy?

fat lazy trapper huh? So its ok for you to call a trapper fat and lazy, but its not ok for you to be called a greenie?

LEts stop with the namecalling.

guys are you going to let this kinda crap fly on this forum? This whole thread should be wacked.

I think this started out as a good thread but got sour. When argue about where we can exercise our different outdoor activities we run the risk of others stepping in to mediate the argument and limiting both parties. I think common sense quietly exercised is worth more than a hundred arguments.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Quote Originally Posted by partychief360 View Post
    Him running along behind for exercise and me on my ATV or sled.
    Trapper fat and lazy? If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black? At least he got off his sled. How about you walk with him instead?

Just curious, but next are you going to run your dog along the Parks Hwy and ask everyone to drive slow so they don't hit your dog? I just want to know how far we need to give you riding along to run your dog so we don't interfere.

-TJ

Partychief....soon as you changed your font and went to bold lettering, I lost respect for your post. The guy asked a simple question on how to avoid catching dogs and you lost your cool. If you can't say it properly, just leave it alone!

Default Apologies

I stand corrected...I humbly retract my charge of fat regarding the trapper that made his set within 3 feet of a heavily traveled trail...powerline btw Houston High and the Lil' Su...that my dog stepped in when we all stopped to get rid of some coffee.

My cred's for non-greenie status...I own a burn barrel and have bottle of Joy.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

And i hate to say it but most muni's and boroughs have a leash law period.. Denalis boroughs leash law says must be leashed UNLESS

prescribe activities and those are defined quite clearly... but in short you best be part of the AKC bird dog club during one of those activites...

also many power lines ARE NOT right of way and cross private prop... they are utilities easements and persons could be subject to trespass law.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I repeat, with all due respect, why would I be a greenie because I have my dog off lead while running the power line in Big Lake thru the swamps? Him running along behind for exercise and me on my ATV or sled. That makes me a greenie? Maybe it makes me a greenie because my dog stepped in a trap that was set, oh, 3 feet off the trail while stopping to water the lilies. Does that make me a greenie, sir? Am I a greenie because I did not read the un-posted sign until it was posted the following week reminding all of the legally protected status of the set in discussion. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the responsible trapper should have walked his fat, lazy kiester a tad more than 3 feet off the trail to set his trap. Unless he's looking to trap a highly prized yellow Lab. What does a prime Lab pelt fetch these days? It's got to be more than Rottweiler.

I have NO problem with trapping, I'm all for it. However when someone suggests that I am required to have my dog on a lead so as to run him along the trails, well that just sounds too much like what coming out of the pieholes in DC these days.
    Did you happen to contact the trapper about trapping so close to a public trail? Letting him know that you and others use that trail to run your dogs? I hope your dog survived the ordeal and is OK.

Avoiding dogs.
    Don't use existing trails unless they take you into the hinterlands. Make your own trail. Keep baited, scented sets to a minimum. Use snares where possible. Dogs won't fight a snare and will wait like a dog on a leash. Check sets in areas prone to dog presence often, daily if possible.

Dogs in public. Trappers don't require owners to use a leash. Govt regs do. Any dog owner allowing the dog to run free on public trails is just as much at fault for what happens to his dog as the person trapping, snowmobiling, driving, etc. Loose dogs are at risk of harm from much more than just traps.

Traps off the trail. Here's something for dog owners to think on. A dog caught in a trap CLOSE to the trail will be much easier to find than one caught off the trail. While distance lessens the chance of a catch, it also increases the chance of the dog not being found until the trapper shows up.

If you want to be respected as a legal user of the country, Partychief, lose the attitude.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default simple

I raised raced and trained sled dogs for 12 years, all this in a very heavily trapped area. I had 24 dogs, they all got exercise every day 365 days a year. The soloution is simple keep your dog on a leash!! There are other dangers out there other than traps, like cars, porky pines, skidoos etc. It never ceases to amaze me how people think "their" dog should be allowed to run free, taking no regard for their own pets safety or the safety of others pets or livestock. I live on 15 acres in a very rural subdivision and have caught loose dogs chasing our horses more than once, the first time I give the owner a warning the next time I shoot the dog. Look online at the Yukon News last summer for a story on the damage loose dogs can cause. What if the dog in question had ran into a little kid and bit???

Default AkHunttrap

thanks for asking as to my critter's condition, he survived with just a bad bruise to his foot. He yelped to think he ripped it off.

No, I did not try to contact the trapper who made the set. I was disinclined to do a stake out. Beyond that I did not have a clue as to how to go about contacting the trapper. And quite frankly, after reading the posts here, the result would have been different how? Look at the reaction I got from the bulk of the posters here for objecting to the notion that the only dogs that get caught in traps are greenies.

Are trappers required to post a notice of traps in the area? Before or after they set them out? This guy, whoever he was only posted his notices after my dog stepped in a trap. Musta had the notion we was messing with him on purpose. Had I known traps where in the area I would have not have stopped to water the lilies...I was already holding it, whats another mile.

Vince...yes I'm aware that the power line folks elect to turn a blind eye to all manner of trespass traffic along the power line corridor. How blind an eye is subject to some speculation...someone put in the 8' diam. culvert for dog teams under Hawk Lane along the power-line.

The bulk of the popular trails in and about Big Lake are in trespass. As are the popular trails to Bench Lake and the one known to some as the B-29 trail at the end of Schrock Rd. For example the northerly portion of B-29 at the point in which it diverges northwesterly, crosses a small creek and in the vicinity where said trail begins a serious elevation gain, the trail leaves the section line easement. In doing so it encroaches Mental Health Trust Lands. The NE corner of section 6 T18N R1W is east quite a spell from a point along the trail about 1800 ft up the trail from the REALLY STEEP portion....I performed a due diligence search down in the creek bed for the monument and could not find it nor any of the four accessories (bearing trees). It could be destroyed. I was only using a handheld for the search...we were too far from the base to do RTK.. After that point the trail enters unsurveyed lands which belong the State.

Sorry I digress again...so Vince both the trapper and I were in trespass. Two wrongs don't make a right but two rights make an airplane. However at that point the power line runs along the section lines and there may be a section line ROW there...I'd have to look at the MTP...as not all section lines have prescribed ROW's...but you knew that.

Now I understand that most of youse guys think I should have my dog on a leash...okay I'll give you that. But puzzle me this...his leash is 6 ft long...the trap was 3 feet off the trail? How could we have avoided the trap even if my dog was on a lead? He ducked under my stream and stepped in a trap. I never saw it...that is why they call it a trap for Pete's sake.

Is it okay with you folks that I take my dog surveying with me? He will be off leash. He'll be sitting all curled up nice in a hidey hole I'll designate for him back with my gunner...I'll be running a gas axe. He's pretty good at giving us a heads up when a bruin is about. He's also good at delivering stuff to the guys on the crew. He once delivered a prism 1800ft across water to the guys on the other side of Favorite Bay in Angoon...they needed more glass so's I could pop off a distance...a tad foggy...and a set of BLM notes to a crew way more than 40 chains away...So you think I can have him off lease...please. I think Yankee, the Survey Dog, has got a handle on voice commands even if I ain't a greenie.

I love the beaver mitts and hat my wife got me for Christmas, so guys, keep on trapping.

I got Commie pink survey ribbon tied to my attitude so's I can't loose it.

Have a more than adequate day.

Pure Gold.

That there makes the Top Ten Best Responses list.

Sounds like a helluva pooch!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Look at the reaction I got from the bulk of the posters here for objecting to the notion that the only dogs that get caught in traps are greenies. .
    No, only dogs owned by less than responsible people

Is it okay with you folks that I take my dog surveying with me? He will be off leash. He'll be sitting all curled up nice in a hidey hole I'll designate for him back with my gunner...I'll be running a gas axe. He's pretty good at giving us a heads up when a bruin is about. .
    We don't care what goes on with the dog outside of trapping season.

So your dog got caught within feet of your urinating spot? You took it out. No harm done. 2 back country users both exercising poor judgment. Trap placement and loose dog. Why did you even post, cept to bash trappers?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

....so, where did the OP.... "Loraxx".... go??
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

This whole thread is pointless and all this does is cause trouble. On any other trapping forum, this thread would have been whacked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast