Thread: Sixmile Creek

Default Sixmile Creek

I was thinking about floating Sixmile Creek for bear. I've been doing a little research and found out there's some pretty big rapids down there. Question I have is if it would be possible to portage around the rapids? Are the cliffs to close to the river to portage?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    I was thinking about floating Sixmile Creek for bear. I've been doing a little research and found out there's some pretty big rapids down there. Question I have is if it would be possible to portage around the rapids? Are the cliffs to close to the river to portage?
    Used to mine around six mile creek.. Lots of walled areas. Rapids can be very deceiving. You may want to call some of the white water companies that run the area. Surely one of their guides hunts.

Good luck.

A buddy of mine took a rafting trip down the river last year. He gave me the number to the place and I planned on calling them. If a guy could get down the river it looks like it might be a good hunt. Is there a way to take out at Sunrise or would you have to try and get down to Hope?

Suggest you drive to mile 5.9 of the Hope Hwy. and look down into the gorge before making a final decision. And yes the take out is at mile 7.2 of the Hope Road. And Right now I am typing this post at mile 7.3 of the Hope Road.

I suggest you think of another float for hunting unless you are an experienced whitewater boater.....

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Suggest you drive to mile 5.9 of the Hope Hwy. and look down into the gorge before making a final decision. And yes the take out is at mile 7.2 of the Hope Road. And Right now I am typing this post at mile 7.3 of the Hope Road.
    They have internet in Hope?? Darn..wonders never cease.!

Quote Originally Posted by vlinker View Post
    I suggest you think of another float for hunting unless you are an experienced whitewater boater.....
    I was thinking that anyway. That's why I asked the question about being able to portage. Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    They have internet in Hope?? Darn..wonders never cease.!

And we are served by ACS, or GCI. So Anchorage is a Local Call. We also have Direct HD/TV Here in Lovely Sunrise, Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    And we are served by ACS, or GCI. So Anchorage is a Local Call. We also have Direct HD/TV Here in Lovely Sunrise, Alaska.
    You are only tempting me to be your neighbor!

My first experience with Alaska was Hope and area. If I could convince the wife we would be there in a heartbeat.

Stuck in Anchortown for now

Default Great "Creek"...

Six Mile is an experience! Although I have seen several blackies on the river, I can't imagine going down it with the intention of hunting. You should definitely raft/fish the river, but I would advise looking elsewhere for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    Six Mile is an experience! Although I have seen several blackies on the river, I can't imagine going down it with the intention of hunting. You should definitely raft/fish the river, but I would advise looking elsewhere for hunting.
    I've always wondered about fishing it too. Being connected to the ocean like that it seems to reason it would get a run of some sort of salmon. Starting to look else where for a float hunt though.

I'm pretty sure it's closed to all salmon fishing. I'd just like to find a way to cross it safely. I think it's doable around mile 3 on the Hope road but not sure I want to risk it since mile 3.5 just looks evil.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

RMK

Default Class 4 and 5 rapids

6 mile is not the place for a hunt. It's a place for a wild and wet rafting trip with experienced people.

Get on You Tube and search 6-mile creek. I'm sure the videos will talk you out of any thoughts of bringing a rifle along.

there are multiple sections with rapids pinned in by vertical rock walls with no opportunity to portage. if things go south there is no way out except down the river, and in some cases nowhere to even get out of the current and catch your breath. not a good hunting float.

Thumbs down

Insane. Foolish. Borderline suicidal.

Don't let those smooth-flowing waters along the Seward highway fool you. It's class 4+ water in the canyon. A guy launched him and his family from roadside a couple years back. They all near drowned and clung to rocks until discovered. There was talk of putting a warning sign by the road after that, but I don't know if it actually happened.

You had enough sense to ask here first. Good for you.

Taylor

Raptor- pm heading your way...

Yea I'm not gonna entertain that idea anymore. Starting to look at some other rivers.

Like others said..treat yourself to a whitewater raft trip down it this summer. Call Nova or Chugach Adventure Guides. Also, bring gloves. The mandatory float/swim test before you go will leave your hands numb without gloves. Unless you have solid class IV or V ratfing experience relax and let the pros worry about keeping everyone alive.

Mark Taylor summed up what a float hunt would turn into. And yes, there is a warning sign now at the Seward/Hope Hwy rest area.

We rafted it this past summer, class 3, 4 and 5 rapids in pretty quick succession........I'm pretty crazy myself, but I think I would pass...could make for some tough shooting.

What about Bertha Creek for your float hunt? Same area kinda. Near highway for the most part. Gets you back away from the road access to mountains on other side.

The bridge over the gorge is pretty cool! Found that a couple years back. Bear hunting right there too if you look for them. Nice trail, but it dead ends a ways back in there. High avalanche danger as the valley all leads to the creek pretty harshly.