Thread: 300 mag load question

Default 300 mag load question

i wanted to see what you have for a good load for the 300 win mag.i will be using this for a goat hunt in september.im planning on using the barnes 180gr tsx bullet,as for powder i see that alot of people are using R22 for this how many grains of powder are you using.this will be used in a winchester classic model 70 in 300 win mag with a 26inch barrel.

thanks
    bob

Default Rl 22

Look up RL 22 on the net and you will find load data. Start with that and work up to the load you want. Every gun has it's own preference.

Default 300 WM & 180's

75.0 grains of RL-22 is a max load and my standard do-all load for the 300 win mag is 74.0 of RL-22 and the 180 TSX (for those who like that bullet) and a Fed 215 primer in Winchester brass. Don't jam the bullet. This will give about 3100 fps, depending the rifle. Buy a good loading data manual.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default .300 WinMag load

I use the same recipe as Murphy except I use the 168 Barnes triple shok and have had excellent results, extremely accurate, 100% weight retention at long ranges hunting deer on Kodiak. I shoot the Rem 700 SPS with 26"tube. Bullet is always seated .005" off the lands.

for goats do you think i should use the 180gr 0r the 168gr barnes TSX,i want to make sure i have a heavy enough ball.