Thread: Db990

Default Db990

Anyone else on here draw the DB990 tag this year?

Default I didn't draw...

the permit, but I will be working up that direction all summer. I will keep my eye out and let you know where/when I'm seeing any bears.
    DJ

Smile seen a few last year

Seen 2 of them east of pump station 2 last year, and found plenty of sign and track while walking down the pipeline, glass toward the hills

Filled my DB990 tag late last August. I saw one bear, and got him. All the hunters and truck drivers I talked to hadn't seen any bears. Seems to thin out for spells, and then there are a few here and there. Really a hit and miss to see them, then the challenge of getting on them. Haven't had any need for backup with any of the bears I have arrowed up there. They seem to be real skittish, especially when poked.

Default Thanks,

I took a nice grizz south of the pass in the fall of 04 with the Hoyt at 29 yrds.. using the stick and string is pretty exciting.. Last year caribou hunting I only saw a black bear south of Cold foot.. usually I see tham all the time and finally drew the tag.. So hopeing to see one this fall norht of the pass.. I am pretty excited..

Still have a few months.. But a 18 hour road trip one way is a long scouting trip..

friend of mine who lives in Wasilla got that permit this year. he got skunked last time he had it . He could have shot a really small bear we saw twice near slope mountain. too small, we were suprised mom was not around.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Sweeet

I seen a 2 5 footers near their last fall up caribou hunting..and one slightly larger just south of Oil spill hill on the east side of the road along the Sag.. then saw another bigger one yet on the backside of Toolik lake hauling butt South-South West.. But never had the tag.. Hopefully this year with the tag in hand, I will see them.

Attached is a pic of a nice colored one I got 30 miles or so north of Coldfoot..
    Attached Images Attached Images

I took my 6 footer last year on the north side of Ice Cut, which isn't too far to the north of oil spill hill. Could have been the same bear you saw. I think it was around the 26th of August that I shot him.

Does he look familiar?

I love the different coloration on these bears up here. They might not be the biggest, but it almost always seems to be something different. Your's is a prime example of that.

If I hear information this fall, I'll be sure to let you know. When you start getting your dates lined out, make sure to let us know.

Default Different one

I was up their after that.. Over Labor day weekend I think it was.. So it must have been a different bear.. Maybe it was eating your bears carcass... I hope he is back their this fall..

Nice bear though Jerod..Real nice head on him too.. Congrat's

Default I drew too

I drew the DB990 tag as well. I was thinking about being up there when it opened on the 25th of August. Concentrating primarily on caribou, and hoping one visits the carcass when/if I down a bou. Will be my first trip up the Haul Road, so any information would be greatly appreciated.