Thread: Lake Clark Ice Out??

Default Lake Clark Ice Out??

I know that this is proably a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone knew what the ice conditions are on Lake Clark. I will be heading there in a few days and was wodnering if I should bring the hardwater gear, or just open water? I have heard that the ice comes off a lot earlier than Iliamna, but that doesn't mean much to me. I thank you in advance for any info. that you may have.

Thanks, KDG

As with most lakes, it varies from year to year. Generally speaking, ice out on the main portion of the lake is late April to mid-May. This year was a very mild winter in Port Alsworth and freeze-up was late, so I'm guessing ice out by late April is likely.

As for icefishing, will you have access to a snow machine in Port Alsworth? It's one big lake and most winter time locations I'd recommend for ice fishing are farther than you'd want to walk from Port Alsworth.

Default Thanks Shearej

I probably wont bother since I will be busy the first few weeks there. Does anyone have any suggestions/favorites on lure choice for ice out that they would be willing to share. Mostly interested in the pike and lakers.

Thanks, KDG

If you want the real skinny, just contact the Alsworths or Mr. Young....the fed biologist stationed there...then you could also start to find a boat to get around with as well. Spring lakers are easier there since the glacial melt hasn't turned it blue so you can fish normally. Also, there are some whopper pike across the lake from Port Alsworth that will be moving around and spawning very soon as things ice out....

Enjoy ya lucky bassturd

I would agree, contact (phone: 781-2218) Dan Young (fish biologist) or Warren Hill (park ranger), those two guys usually keep tabs on ice conditions.

For lake trout, try the Tanalian River confluence just south of town. I know they hang out there in the summer time. There might be enough flow down the river that there'll be open water out into the lake for fishing with a normal rod and reel. For northern pike, your best bet is Chulitna Bay across the lake from Port Alsworth. However, you might not be able to get over there. Thus, Hardenburg Bay right at the end of the runway would be your next best bet. I catch pike regularly in early June in the far back end of the bay, I'm guessing they move into the bay before ice out in preparation for spawning.

Default Thanks!!!!!!

Thanks guys for what you have suggested so far. I am actually going to be working with Dan statrting in a couple weeks and have picked his brain already and have gotten some good info. but he said there are a lot of others that know more about catching fish (by sportfishing) out of lake clark than he does. I will definetely contact the Alsworths and the park ranger. I am shipping my Gary King sport boat out so I will have a boat at my disposal. Hopefully I will be able to acess a large portion of the lake depending on weather. If anyone else has any suggestions I am always willing to listen and consider.
    Thanks

Dan is just holding out on you!

I can provide some more specific locations when I'm out there in early June. Enjoy your time out there, it's a dandy place to spend some time.