Thread: Where and when do i have good chances of taking a brown/grizzly?

Default Where and when do i have good chances of taking a brown/grizzly?

im trying to find a decent spot to try this spring. im new to bear hunting and any advice/info is welcomed. i heard up around Tok there are good numbers of them there?

Default get out and look

Just a few point to help ya. This time of the year the bears are going to be where the snow is fading first( south facing slops) they are in and out of dens so glassing and looking for dirty snow and track can get you into the right areas.

Grizz are going to be moving to moose in hopes of finding calfs and mothers that are weak. As i have not seen many calfs yet, I would say in the next few weeks . Winter kills are prime if you find one it would be worth sitting over. you cant move the kill (that would be baiting and it is illegal for Griz) but you sure can wait near by.

Until the calfs start dropping anything green will attract em. look high and right around tree line.

The state has designated predator control areas. You might want to find out where as there tends to be a high density of predators in the area.

look through this thread and the baiting tread as there is a lot of info on the subject. sportsman warehouse and most book stores carry "bear hunting Alaska" A local video store, (Wilson Video in Wasilla) will carry hunting videos on Alaska bear. Strahan's float hunting book give you a good idea on rivers that hold bear.

Long story short is get in the back country and glass. Lots of bear all over the state for you if your willing to work and are patient enough to spend time in the spotting scope.

Good luck and be safe.

thanks alot for the info. im pretty excited to get out and hopefully get a chance to harvest one this year.

Default Petersville Area

If you're looking for bears and have the means to get off the beaten path, try starting around Petersville road area which will save you time versus going all the way to Tok. Plenty of bears but also plenty of bear hunters.... If you want specific locations to start your search, shoot me a PM and I'll give you some good areas close to home that will save you some time and money.

Default grizz

I would consider the denali highway unit 13 boasts some of the highest grizzly populations in the state the Susitna river drainage is a good place to start.Basically anywhere between Cantwell and Paxson get up off the beaten path I would focus on South facing slopes.Put your time in and good luck.

BIG 27
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Default Glenn Hwy

Eureka area. around Gunsite mountian. Glass from the road. unit 13 - no tag required.
    go Kill one.
    Gary

Default Very few

grizz are actually killed around Tok or even up the Taylor in spring. Just not a lot of country to look at. You are probably better off going to the other areas mentioned just because you have a lot of country so spot.

Default whole heap...

feed near Skwetna I hear...