Thread: Kodiak road system

Default Kodiak road system

My friend drew dg478 goat tag this year. He asked if i would go with him. I of course said yes. I have never been to Kodiak. I'm asking for info for my sake. I need to know what to expect as i'm not the one who planned for the hunt(now i am). I need to find some of these things out for myself. I don't want to put all my trust in someone else totally. We are going to use the ferry. My questions are......
    1. Is the road system in good shape for an rv or would a truck be better use?
    2. Would it be worth bringing a 4wheeler?
    3. Would an inflatable and outboard help get us to some of the hunt areas?
    4. Is going later rather than earlier better, because of vegetation?
    5. Would you hunt daily from road or would you use a spike camp?
    6. What will the weather normally be like during this time frame?
    7. What would you recommend on type of gear for this hunt?
    This is (his hunt) and (his tag is priority).
    So for me is their a good chance of havesting deer in same area where the goat are located?
    You can pm me if you like. I'm not asking any specifics where to hunt we'll figure that out with maps and when we arrive. I'm just trying to be prepared for the experiance which I fully intend to enjoy! I know i just asked alot and any info will help. My friend has his ideas. I don't want to go into this empty handed. I want to be able to contibute some ideas. I want this to be our hunt. Thankyou very much for any constructive ideas or thoughts you might be willing to share!

Default search for archive stories here

First thing I would recommend is searching on these forums for hunt reports, there are quite a few on Kodiak Goat that will tell you more than I could write here,
    You're gonna love Kodiak, I'll write more later on some of these questions,
    Bring gear for wind and rain for sure, Fall can be crazy tough and crazy nice as well.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Rv would be great wouldn't have to rent a room or camp. everything is paved in regards to accessible roads. ferry it down from homer, cheaper and better than plane tickets and can have whatever gear you want.

4 wheeler may help in a few places to get closer to mountain but up to you and most places not going to help.

outboard and boat is a no

vegetation will be dead and falling over the later you go but the whole thing with a goat is the hair. they put on an inch a month so the longer you wait the better the hair and the more storms Kodiak gets and harder to get up the mountain and see the goats, especially with any snow, dangerous.

Several places on south road system you can day hike and get goats. other places you need to spike for the night to be where the goats are in the morning. I would have a spike setup with me for sure anytime I went up the mountain just in case.

weather is hard to say. sunny and 60 and an hour later snowing. prepare for everything in between especially sideways rain!

chances are decent in running into a deer on way to goat country.

Good luck will clarify more if needed

I hunted down there a couple years ago with a buddy who drew the south road system tag. Definitely don't expect your run of the mill road hunt that's for sure. Neither one of us had been there before so we used the road to glass and scout and get a rough idea of where the concentrations of goats were, but from there out it was all boots and backpacks. There's a few spots that aren't too awful bad, but for the most part it is extremely steep with unbelievably thick alder thickets. Definitely plan on putting some work in. We went in early October and there was sign that goats had been fairly close to the road in some spots, but the hunting pressure had pushed them further back in. Bring a lightweight camp setup so you can stay on the mountains overnight. There's spots where it can seriously take you the better part of a day to go a mile as the crow flies. Going back and forth to the road every day will waste a lot of time and energy. There's a lot of goats down there though. At one point I think we counted like 48 on one mountain side. We talked to the biologist down there and he showed us maps of how the goat population and distribution was going through the roof. The hard part was finding a legal goat. I don't know how many nannies with kids we saw, but it was bunch. Partner ended up getting a nice nanny that was all by herself. We busted our butts getting that thing out, and it was really a short distance from the road. If memory serves me it was like a mile and a half horizontal distance, but I bet we had to do about four miles of serious up and down over the course of two days to get out. For sure get in shape, or you'll pay for it.

Good luck.

Thumbs up

1. Is the road system in good shape for an rv or would a truck be better use?
    Most of road system is paved, rv would be fine.

2. Would it be worth bringing a 4wheeler?
    Not really, unless you want to go for joy ride.

3. Would an inflatable and outboard help get us to some of the hunt areas?
    NO

4. Is going later rather than earlier better, because of vegetation?
    Not enough to notice. Most of the grass does not lay down till mid to late oct. Season Ends 25 oct. Even when the grass lays down, everything else is still a beitch to get throug.

5. Would you hunt daily from road or would you use a spike camp?
    Just depends. There are opportunities for both.

6. What will the weather normally be like during this time frame?
    Sunny and 60 clear blues skies, 35 and rain with 70 knot winds, fog for days on end, snow. Sometimes all in the same day.

7. What would you recommend on type of gear for this hunt? anything you are comfortable hiking all day. Waterproof and breathable.

So for me is their a good chance of havesting deer in same area where the goat are located?
    I put in for my first goat tag because I shot a forked horn and had a Billy watch me broadside about 100 yards away. I got luck and drew a tag, went to the exact same spot, walk about 100 yards and filled my goat tag. So yes, you will see deer.

Hope this helps! Good luck on your hunt.

Default Thanks all

Let me digest some of this and i'll keep searching the sight for more info. I know everyone keeps telling everbody to do search engine which i always do before i start asking questions. I think it's harder than everyone thinks. It gets frustrating and time consuming. I do find info because i finalized a hinchinbrook hunt because of things i found on this sight. Very helpful just frustrating for me. Sometimes just asking helps getting right to the point. Again thankyou very much for all of your input!!!!

Default some links, I hope

Sorry about that Pappy, I can relate to the frustrating seach thing, here are some links to some good long discussions and should help, Tip: I used the advanced search option if you can find that,

http://www.forums.outdoorsdirectory....d.php?p=713248

this is really interesting on how tough they are to get down http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=47890

here's something on getting your meat back from the island
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=62234

one search tip, is to look for someone who mentions a previous hunt then hit on their name and go to "statistics" on their page and look for the "threads they have posted" as they usually will have something of a hunt report on that hunt from the past and it will be obvious in the thread title
    for example, from this thread if you read down to #8 and find one by Lujon you'll see experience with Goat in recent past, also that he is a Moderator which usually means he is pretty into the forums so will have posted a hunt report with pics

"have done well on goats out to over 300. We recovered 1 round of the 180's under the offside hide of a billy this year."

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=65632

then hit on statistics, or "show all statistics" on upper right of page, and hit on "find all threads started by Lujon" which is better than all posts, "Too Many to look through usually but, if they did a hunt report it will be a new thread they started, probably

Ok after all that I can't find a hunt report ??? thought that would work so I guess another angle is to PM that guy who you find has experience, there are a lot of helpful folks especially if they were successful on the hunt,

Yeah it is a bit frustrating but hope this helps some, looking at the statistics of the guy who mentions goat hunting has worked for me in the past. It might be better to not go to a Moderator page actually, too much stuff to search through,
    Good Luck, If I run into anything else on Kodiak or goats I think you would like I'll send it or add on here.

As far as your questions I think these guys have answered well
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Very helpfull

Thankyou kodiakrain for taking time to explain. Very helpfull