Thread: Looking for the right spot

Default Looking for the right spot

I'm flying to Fairbanks in 3 weeks to buy my little piece of gods country.
    Of three main properties I'm looking at one is right on the Elliott hwy 1.5
    miles south of Olnes. The second is 2 miles past Olnes out Haystack rd.
    The third is out the Steese Hwy.(Google says 35 miles to F.B.) it's 6 miles
    past Pokers flats rocket facitily. Of course what I'm getting to is how the local hunting in these 3 areas will be. The 2 of Elloitt will really be in the same areas. There a long trail system going out (east) of the Haystack area. Looks like it would be in the 25C unit which makes it part of the Yukon Flats wildlife refuage. Please correct if I'm wrong all I have to go by is AF&G regs. The property on Steese has access to this area also from the south. Also Steese has a vast area to it south that looks open to hunting.
    As for caribou North of Steese would be White Mt. herd and south would be Forty mile herd. Which would be best hunting. As to moose which area best. South of the steese doesn't have the trail system that they have going into the White Mt. area. Maybe not good hunting or maybe to ruff for 4 wheelers and snowmachines. In the White Mt. area do you need steel shot for birds and bunnies? Lastly I understand the draw hunts(mostly) from reading you alls post. Question is the registration hunts. Theres RC hunts in 25C and 20B (South of steese) and RM hunts in 20B.
    Thanks in advance for all replies.

Default land

All three areas are hunted pretty hard especially for moose but you should be able to find some rabbits and grouse. Alot of the steese area has been burnt, you'll see when you get here. There are some caribou too but the hunt can close pretty fast if they're near the rd. otherwise there's alot of country out there to explore. Hope you enjoy your trip...........

Are you going to live there? I am not super familiar with the are but if it burnt then that is where I would buy for a good quality investment. Fire + time = MOOSE! If you are going to live there then it should be fairly easy to learn the area better than the transient masses. Pattern the moose and find out where the big boys go to not get shot then hang out there and ruin their day. When you find that area and it may a small pocket don't leave a trail to it and DON'T TELL ANYBODY!!

Yes Lejon moving up in may 2011 to build a modest little home.
    Thunder Chicken1 what you said about being burnt makes sense
    because the pictures in the MLS listing of the Steese property shows
    very few trees. I've recieved my Alaska atlas sense I firsted posted
    this and it seems that most of the trail systems head into the northern
    area of the Steese and eastern area of the Elliott. Maybe to the south
    of the Steese pressure my be lighter on the game. Still would like to
    know what a RC and RM hunt means.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

sold my house off the Elliott in 06 2 miles past haystack... took me a little while to learn the area around the Chatinaka river.. but we always got moose.. the area i very populated and the river brings many from town out to it... Olnes pond is a nice place to visits on Wednesday the rest of the time it is over run, and has a high level of transient (some vagrant) camps during the summer months. Hay stack is a good community of folks i know most of them, Weather wise? poker flats will be 20deg colder in the winter then haystack or olnes. we were always a good bit warmer then town during the cold spells also.

both are 1/2 hour drive from each other so you can compare easily.

RC= registration caribou RM resistration moose
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here