Thread: 6.5x55 Swede barrel length?

Default 6.5x55 Swede barrel length?

What's the shortest barrel length the 6.5x55 is happy with?

Default bump

Murphy, Any advice?

I would guess 22 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    What's the shortest barrel length the 6.5x55 is happy with?
    I am not an expert on various barrel lengths with the Swede, but I will say that my own Swede (Model 70 FWT) has a 22 inch barrel and prefers powders on the definite slower end of the burn spectrum, i.e. H4831, RL 19, RL 22, etc. RL 22 has proven most accurate in my rifle and propels 140s at 2700+ with long case life. I would not want a 6.5x55 with a shorter barrel, but another inch or two longer might prove more useful with these slow powders.

used to have a barrel that was cut down from 24 to 16 1/2" I finally shot it out and finished up with a new custom that was 24" I have stay with this length on all my rifles as it has worked out vary well. Not to long and not to short, but each to his own.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Yea, of course I knew full well before I posted the question that the answer was somewhere between 22 and 24 inches. As is human nature however, I was hoping someone would tell me they were shooting 2500 FPS and 0.5 MOA from a 20 inch tube, thereby reinforcing my delusion that I might overcome physics with wishfull thinking. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Yea, of course I knew full well before I posted the question that the answer was somewhere between 22 and 24 inches. As is human nature however, I was hoping someone would tell me they were shooting 2500 FPS and 0.5 MOA from a 20 inch tube, thereby reinforcing my delusion that I might overcome physics with wishfull thinking. Oh well.
    If you were to use a 20" barrel you would have a few problems with the 6.5mm (.264) bullets. Before I say what the problems would be I need to state the reason for the problem. It is the great BC of the 6.5mm bullet. If you cannot drive it fast enough it will out penetrate it's ability to open up quick enough before exiting. Now it is good that these bullet will really penetrate deep and most of the time will exit game. Now that said, you need velocity and a bullet construction that will match the velocity and game plus you need the rate of twist to be sufficient to stabilize the bullet as well.

I shot a deer with my 260 Rem 10yrs ago and I had a 22" barrel with a 1-9 twist using a 120gr Scirocco and hit the deer at 60yds with a muzzle velocity of at least 2850fps at 60yds and the bullet went in one side and out the other hitting a pine tree two feet on the exit side of the deer's chest and it took off running. Me and my friends hunting all day and did not find that deer and no blood trail of any kind at all, but it was evident I hit the deer because there was some hair stuck in the pine bark on the pine that was behind the deer.

I said all of that to make the point that a 6.5mm bullet will penetrate deep but must be matched to the velocity and game much less rate of twist. I needed a more frangible bullet that day. I had enough barrel length, velocity and rate of twist for the bullet but had to tough a bullet for the job. If you have a 20" barrel you will not generate enough velocity to open up even a frangible bullet. If you wanted to shoot a 140gr or bigger bullet you couldn't do it with the 1-9 twist and would have to go to 1-8 twist but then you would still not get enough velocity out of it to open up the bullet and also penetration would also suffer.

You would need a 24 inch barrel to make your 6.5mm rifle an all around 6.5mm rifle for small to medium game and for some large none dangerous game. A 1-9 twist would be more than sufficient with a 22 or 24" barrel to drive 140gr hunting bullets and the 24" barrel would let you drive 160gr bullets with good stabilizing affects.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have a few rifles in 6.5x55mm.
    The m/96s and CG-63s have 29 inch barrels.
    The m/38s have 23.5 inch barrels.
    My M70 FWT a 22 inch barrel and the m/94 carbines have 17 inch barrels.

The 17s are TOO SHORT. The 6.5x55 holds too much powder to burn in that short a barrel.
    The 22 inch works just fine since it is a stronger action. So I have worked up some loads with H-100V hybrid powder that zip right along..... I do not shoot these loads in my old Swede Military Mausers.

Today I was goofing around with the M70 FWT using 44.5 grains of H-100V, a 140 grain Remington Accu-Tip boat-tail, Lapua brass, a BR-2 primer, with a 3.058 col. And a light Lee factory crimp.

I was getting 2,680 over the chronograph and a 0.65 inch group.

I tried exactly the same load with Hornady SST bullets of the same weight and the group went out to 2.5 inches.
    Sierra 140 Game Kings were the same velocity but had a 0.80 inch group with a flyer...

I have pushed 140s to over 2,700 fps from the 22 inch barrel but accuracy dropped off. Plus the brass showed some pretty serious pressure signs.

Just to give you an idea on the velocity difference. Here is another load in three Swede Mausers.

46.3 grains of RL-22, a 140 grain Sierra Match King, Lapua Brass and a BR-2 primer.
    m/96 - 29 inch barrel = 2,729 fps
    m/38=23.5 in bbl.......= 2,622 fps
    m/94= 17.0 inch bbl...= 2,342 fps
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    If you were to use a 20" barrel you would have a few problems with the 6.5mm (.264) bullets. Before I say what the problems would be I need to state the reason for the problem. It is the great BC of the 6.5mm bullet. If you cannot drive it fast enough it will out penetrate it's ability to open up quick enough before exiting. Now it is good that these bullet will really penetrate deep and most of the time will exit game. Now that said, you need velocity and a bullet construction that will match the velocity and game plus you need the rate of twist to be sufficient to stabilize the bullet as well.

I shot a deer with my 260 Rem 10yrs ago and I had a 22" barrel with a 1-9 twist using a 120gr Scirocco and hit the deer at 60yds with a muzzle velocity of at least 2850fps at 60yds and the bullet went in one side and out the other hitting a pine tree two feet on the exit side of the deer's chest and it took off running. Me and my friends hunting all day and did not find that deer and no blood trail of any kind at all, but it was evident I hit the deer because there was some hair stuck in the pine bark on the pine that was behind the deer.

I said all of that to make the point that a 6.5mm bullet will penetrate deep but must be matched to the velocity and game much less rate of twist. I needed a more frangible bullet that day. I had enough barrel length, velocity and rate of twist for the bullet but had to tough a bullet for the job. If you have a 20" barrel you will not generate enough velocity to open up even a frangible bullet. If you wanted to shoot a 140gr or bigger bullet you couldn't do it with the 1-9 twist and would have to go to 1-8 twist but then you would still not get enough velocity out of it to open up the bullet and also penetration would also suffer.

You would need a 24 inch barrel to make your 6.5mm rifle an all around 6.5mm rifle for small to medium game and for some large none dangerous game. A 1-9 twist would be more than sufficient with a 22 or 24" barrel to drive 140gr hunting bullets and the 24" barrel would let you drive 160gr bullets with good stabilizing affects.

While I have never used the Swift bullet you mention, I have to think you may have had a bullet failure or something. Most 6.5 bullets are designed to be used in the Swede with it's moderate velocities and I don't think that 2 or 4 inches plus or minus is going to make or break the bullets performance, if it did how would you get them to expand on say a 300yd shot?
    I have never owned aSwede but I have shot one quite a bit and I have plenty of experience with the very similar 260 Remington. My 260 had an 18in tube on it so I believe that it performance was even more Swedelike if you will. I had the jackets blow off of 140gr Corelokts on more than one occasion, telling me that they were going faster than they should be. I also had great results with 140gr Speer GrandSlam bullets. Of all the game I shot with the Grandslams I never had one breakup or fail to get plenty of penetration but all expanded, unless by some strange phenomenon the exits were markedly larger than the entrances while the bullet didn't expand. Of course Swift bullets are known for their toughness and I don't doubt that your story is true, but I don't think the 6.5 offering was designed solely for the 264 Win, which leads me to believe it may have been some type of freak incident.

On a side note an old friend back home made a one shot kill on an antelope at a lasered 504yds with a sporterized M96. He used the Hornady 140gr Interlock bullet and it couldn't have been going too awful fast as the barrel on that rifle was bobbed at 18in.

I say cut it to whatever makes you happy and go hunt with it, I think sometimes numbers from the chronograph hamper us more than they help, by making us want those last few fps instead of just going hunting. I know I sure was dissapointed when I finally chronoed my favorite hunting load for my 3006, it was only going 2500fps, but the 6 deer, 1 bull elk, 2 coyotes, and at least a dozen wild pigs I used it on before the chronograph session sure didn't seem to notice or mind.

Interesting comments. My story was true and it was not the only one just one I chose to mention. When I drove my bullets faster the problem went away. I do not shoot paper except to get the load accuracy I want, the rest of my observations or from the field and lots of game and lots of hunting, in fact 45yrs of hunting since a teenager and 34 doing my own loads for hunting. I still hunt hard every year on at least three trips and the rest at home, will be using the 260 Rem again this coming year along with my main battery and I won't have the problems of the past. Oh, that is not the only Scirocco bullet that has failed to open on me in two other cartridges, one in my 30-06, and the other in a 7mm08 and on top of that they have never been consistent in accuracy from rifle to rifle and cartridge to cartridge.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS