Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Cost of Access?

Default Your Cost of Access?

Mods can toss this if not cool,

I am checking into becoming a Hunt Transporter by Boat and wondering what people are paying for access to all points on Beaches of Kodiak Island, also Prince William Sound, maybe even the AK Peninsula from Whittier, Homer, or Kodiak?

I think I can beat some of the prices I am hearing about on these hunt reports and not out to undercut anyone just wondering if guys are writing off Kodiak or other remote Great Hunts for the sake of high cost of air travel? And if I can pay the bills getting people out there...

Just the transport end of it tho not guiding or cooking for anyone, just getting the "Pickup truck types" to some good areas not hunted so hard as the road system.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Mods can toss this if not cool,

I am checking into becoming a Hunt Transporter by Boat and wondering what people are paying for access to all points on Beaches of Kodiak Island, also Prince William Sound, maybe even the AK Peninsula from Whittier, Homer, or Kodiak?

I think I can beat some of the prices I am hearing about on these hunt reports and not out to undercut anyone just wondering if guys are writing off Kodiak or other remote Great Hunts for the sake of high cost of air travel? And if I can pay the bills getting people out there...

Just the transport end of it tho not guiding or cooking for anyone, just getting the "Pickup truck types" to some good areas not hunted so hard as the road system.
    I believe they charge about $10 a nautical mile for a drop off out in PWS .
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I can't remember exactly, but I paid about $2400 for a drop off and pick up to Montague Island (from Whittier). This was for the whole boat.

Are you wondering what people are paying to the transporter for the service, or are you wondering what the transporter is paying to the landowner/corp/etc. for rights to drop hunters on private land?

Default Paying for the boat

I'm wondering what people are paying for the boat, thinking what it would cost to get to the other end of Kodiak from town for example, not anything to do with land ownership costs.

Also, what does "for the whole boat" mean? I think I get this, if you are going alone it would be more than if there were four of you sharing the expense, right?

So to go Montague, from Whittier is a pretty major run, was it by the hour or set up ahead of time by the transporter, "the Montague run will be...." or "we'll see how long it takes?" If your beach is loaded with other hunters, and the next best spot is a couple hours around the corner, was that an option or additional expense?

Stuff like that. Thanks,
    Also compared to "flying out with Air Taxi" costs
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

The "whole boat" means you pay a flat rate for the boat whether one guy goes or six. When we went there was only two of us and we paid $1375.00 for the boat, but 4 more could've went which would've meant the $1375.00 divided by 6.

Default almost all

water transporters charge per nautical mile for out and back... the $10 per mile cited in the response above is the going rate for PWS... so if your dropping folks 50 miles from Whittier then your total miles would be 200. so $2,000 for the trip whether its one guy or 6 six guys (whole boat). It's because your travel cost does not vary significantly whether there is 1 or 6 on the boat.

The big cost other than the boat is the insurance requirements.. they are costly

good luck

I have an idea! I know where there are some goats and I got at least one buddy that would like to go. How about we split actual costs and make the trip then you can itemize that and see what you would have to charge to make it worthwhile. How does 15-24 Oct sound?

While doing my research (imagine that) before putting for my draw tags, I was looking at putting in for Raspberry island elk. My hunting partner is a pilot and owns a plane. The plan, if i drew, was I would take the ferry down with a truck and he would fly down. Just in case of bad weather/other conflicts, I started looking at transporters from Kodiak to Raspberry, I want to say I think I was seeing numbers in the $600-$800 one way per person. Dont Quote me on that thought, I could be wrong.

Default Good One Lujon

That's not a bad idea, I could maybe make those dates if I find a nice Bull on the first or so but maybe a bit of a squeeze if I am running around Raspberry til the 12th

Actually I run up and down the Island some twenty times a yr (mostly the Shelikof side but several times traveling on the Gulf side) so I have a pretty good handle on what it costs in fuel and weather delay factors for all locations on Kodiak and the AKPen.
    There's not a lot more to it other than figuring out what it will cost in insurance increases and maintenance, what my time is worth, etc. and then there is the key to it all.....

factoring in: what will it be like ,to have some "rain starved, desert Veterans on board, getting freaked out by the 'Emerald Isle' and trying to keep them from falling over the side ,while they try to glass for Goats from the boat, while we're still running, and there are Deer standing Everywhere on the Beach, RIGHT THERE........"

You Know the "R" word , that's "responsibility for everyone on board, Dang"

Stay in touch lujon that could be real but you guys have to buy the fuel, it won't be much....as long as we don't have to run full bore to get there

Never did a boat drop off, but I would consider it in Kodiak if you could price yourself about 30% under the cost of a 1200# beaver load. Doesn't matter to me that you can take 6 because I wouldn't go with that many and don't want to coordinate travel with another group. Just my thoughts.

Default Beaver is....

The Beaver #1200 load is running....? How far are you going and what is the rate of a floatplane to compare to? That is exactly what I am after Milo, thanks (for the 30% less part)

I'm probably a four hunter max tho and am more looking for the rate for the entire boat to some different locations so I can figure out what I could charge to make it attractive

A rough example at the $10/nmile is: Kodiak to the other end of the island say Halibut Bay or Aliuliuk Peninsula is approx 100 miles so $2000 RT and if you got even two hunters to share that cost $1000 each for a roundtrip and room to pack not only their Bear, Caribou, but also the three Deer each they run into with ease on the one boat load. Sounds like that might beat the Beaver cost especially if you were close to the gear limit with your first animal(s). Might not be able to come down for just a meat run tho unless I stayed anchored nearby which definitely would cost more,

And that is the far end of the island, don't know if I can punch it all in for that but it works for my fuel and time, as long as nobody shoots themselves in the foot admiring the new rifle in the galley, or falls overboard. Believe I have seen some crazy stuff on boats. Just so you guys do understand the liability angle and don't get wierd on your current water or air taxi. It's a seriously proposition but I hope to be able to do it maybe this fall

Thanks for Input

Not sure exactly on beaver rates. The last quote I had on a beaver load was into DG477 for about $1850/rt which is not as far as Aliuliuk Peninsula. I just grabbed 30% out of the air with the idea that you'd have to beat the price of a plane to make up for the extra time involved. On the other hand, going by boat would eliminate same day airborne and could give me an extra evening to whack a bear the first night.

I'd love to see you get it up and running since it would open more options. Now if you had a spot where we could drop down for a couple of halibut on the way back, that be a nice plus.

I don't have any advice but I would like to wish you luck! It sounds like a service that could be seasonally profitable while being a benefit to the community.

Good luck!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakRain
    factoring in: what will it be like ,to have some "rain starved, desert Veterans on board, getting freaked out by the 'Emerald Isle' and trying to keep them from falling over the side ,while they try to glass for Goats from the boat, while we're still running, and there are Deer standing Everywhere on the Beach, RIGHT THERE........"

This is the kind of stuff that as a transporter has the potential to get you in trouble if you aren't careful. For example, if you spot an animal on shore, and then direct the hunters to look over there and then they take the skiff over there. I tell ya, the regs on the water-based transporters with the larger vessels like yours that operate in the salt are so complex and strange...you almost as captain need to wear blinders while piloting <grin> and beyond that have a law degree to keep from getting in trouble.

Not just because sometimes troopers go undercover and go on hunts (they do), but because hunters you may take out later go on hunting forums and talk about the hunt. "Yeah, KodiakRain spotted the bear on shore and we got in the skiff and got him."

Not at all trying to discourage...just advise caution.

Mark, I was wondering how far that goes. While you are on the way out can you say "We've been seeing the deer right on the beach", or "Look for bear up at timberline"?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default I'm hearin ya

Yeah, I am hearing ya Mark, talking to others doing this and checking with the State on it so far i am figuring I'll have to pretty much have a drop off point "locked in before leaving the dock" and Not Deviate from that plan, let everyone know that is what will happen to avoid what I was joking about there,

Might not be a joke to try to make happen in reality. There is something to be said for "being used to spotting Deer on the Mtn side as you drive by" that it becomes not something that causes a "hey there's some deer" response, so hopefully I'll be able to be quiet and just drive them to the appointed place, No Comment

Appreciate your comments on it, for the sake of those riding along to hear also

Default actually 400 miles

if you do a drop hunt, it would be 100 miles out, 100 miles back, 100 miles back out and the final 100 miles would be the return to port trip. If you can combine backhauls with returning hunters, you could cut costs, but it seems to me that you underestimated your mileage by about half. At $3.50/gal for diesel, if you burn 10 gals/hour and move at 10kts, you would have 40 hours of running time multiplied by the cost of fuel = about 1400 in fuel costs alone. If you have no insurance costs or wear and tear, you would be making about $15/hour for driving your boat around the Island. Of course, your hourly rate goes down when you spend time dealing with weather.

Add the pitfalls of pointing out game, touching game, making recommendations, or anything else that might get you sideways with the law, it doesn't seem worth it.

Default running carefully

Yeah, I am going on the $10 per nautical mile figure that several others have suggested is what some watertaxis go by, in PWS I guess,

a few factors are different, If I can run carefully, as in 8kts, I only burn 3gal/hr. So the 400miles, is 50 hrs running and only 150 gal or $525 (if fuel stays that low also)

The wildcard is going to be insurance, and definitely having enough hunters that I can take others out while returning to pick some up.

Or maybe figuring a cost of staying down there for the hunters to bring game out to the boat and get dried out now and then, maybe $250-300 a day to stay down there? ( I don't mind staying on the hook, kayaking around,etc. for a week if it pays) Could be really cool for the guys not wanting to just Bear Fence in the meat stash, just bring it out to the boat?

Just at the beginning stages but I am pretty sure I won't be "throttling up" much to get them there a few hours earlier. I can run 17kts but it is an unreal amt of fuel. 10kts is about 5-6gph I think

I'm going to be paying $2K per person with access to native corporation land with the forum sponsor, but that is an all inclusive deal and well worth it in my opinion.

I think there is a real market for a "budget" Kodiak transporter. There are a few guys that run under the radar and do real well. They don't advertise because they don't have to. Word of mouth gets them all the business they need since they do have other jobs.

One guy I know of does $250 per day (or did at least) but that is for out and back trips from Old Harbor. His biggest selling point from what I hear is if you get a personal used crab permit, not only do you leave Kodiak with deer but he has gear for you to use to get some crab.

If you get something going at a reasonable price, I would be very interested in helping getting the business on its feet by being a customer down the road. Particularly if it is run out of Kodiak. That way I could ferry my truck over and avoid the hassle of flying.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast