Thread: Float trip for moose

Default Float trip for moose

Anyonw floated the Deska for moose? If so, where did you take out? We the numbers good? Fishing it has made me think about doing a moose hunt. Anyone???

You take out at the mouth some will have to pick you up by boat or plane. Dont know about he numbers of moose because once you go so fare up the river you have to have a air boat. The fishing is supposed to be great. If you have someone pick you up by boat doesnt cost much its only a 15 minute run from the landing. Hell if I have the time I would pick you up for nothing. chris.

Moose numbers are the lowest in decades. But you Will kill bears and possibly wolves on the float. That ain't so bad either. Figure on a minimum of 5 days to hunt it productively. Put in at Moose Creek, off of Oilwell Road, extension of the Petersville Road. End up at the mouth and arrange for pick up. There are couple of freighters at the Deshka Landing that ferry stuff.

Thanks for the info, Skybust~ do you have an airboat? I'd be willing to share fuel costs???

i was also looking into hunting the deshka but it looks like a resident only hunt..
    can anybody clarify wheather it is or not,sometimes when diving into to much info at once my poor ole noodle goes a little limp and nothing registers..

montana native
    i have floated the deshka from neil lake to the confluence of the big su.
    one thing to consider is the water levels at that time of year,
    i dont know where your starting point is but , when i floated it last june i had to start from neil lake as the water levels were to shallow to start any further up.
    and still had to pull raft short distances through shoals..
    i am sure in sept. it will be much lower..
    are you going in off of petersville road or are you gonna fly in ????
    i have some good info on portage if you are flying into neil lake.
    tyler

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    i was also looking into hunting the deshka but it looks like a resident only hunt..
    can anybody clarify wheather it is or not,sometimes when diving into to much info at once my poor ole noodle goes a little limp and nothing registers..

montana native
    i have floated the deshka from neil lake to the confluence of the big su.
    one thing to consider is the water levels at that time of year,
    i dont know where your starting point is but , when i floated it last june i had to start from neil lake as the water levels were to shallow to start any further up.
    and still had to pull raft short distances through shoals..
    i am sure in sept. it will be much lower..
    are you going in off of petersville road or are you gonna fly in ????
    i have some good info on portage if you are flying into neil lake.
    tyler

The best hunting opportunities, and rainbow/grayling fishing as well, lie above Neil Lake. Actually in Sept the water levels are higher than late summer. Rain is obviously a boost to the water levels. For a closer examination, you can access the historical water levels by date on line.

well i guess i just lernt somthun

am i reading the regs right no non resident moose hunting in 16a-b???

so could you float from amber lake down to the big su. in mid to late sept.?????

how far up stream do you think a person could get in a 16" zodiac with a forty horse jet that time of year????

i know it is a lot of questions from a guy that probably wont ever get up past the 17 mile marker again but am just curious..
    thanks tyler
    whoops i just re read your post i guess i can go to the historical water levels to find out that info but would still like your opinion..

Montana Native I dont have a air boat I do have a 24 wooldrige that I could pick you up at the end of your float deska/susitna. chris

Default More info...

For those who want more info, I posted a thread on the rafting page. Jim has a website with great info. If interested check it out...