Thread: Jarred Salmon Recipes

Default Jarred Salmon Recipes

Getting ready to thaw out my freezer and have lots of reds to smoke and jar. Was wondering if anyone could share their favorite recipe/preparation for jarring salmon?

Thanks...

Default Canning?

If your canning an simple great recipe I like is 1-2 japelenos in the jar. Mix together in a ice chest 50% soy sauce and 50% brown sugar, (by vloume) soak for 45 minutes and pack and cook!! easy and scrumpshious!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Hey, Queen of Kings...

How come that moose of yours never gets anywhere? He's gotta be tired by now?
    A bottle of white wine, @ 2 cups soy sauce, brown sugar five cups,salt two cups of kosher or non iodized, worshestershire 1/4 cup, garlic powder, pepper.
    Take a crisper drawer out of you refridge, toss the veggies aside and fill with the above. stir to dissolve sugars and fill with cut fish. Add cold water to cover the fish and throw back in fridge for 10 hours. Rinse off fish and let them glaze over for an hour before throwing into smoker. A jalapeana pepper added to the canning jar helps and so does a tablespoon of olive oil too. Good luck
    http://alaskadipnetting.com/

If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I keep it simple. Just add a tablespoon of hot salsa to half pints or two tablespoons to a pint of reds. No smoking or anything else. Add salsa to ocean bright pink salmon when canning fresh in summer to turn out some of the best canned salmon ever, regardless of species.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    How come that moose of yours never gets anywhere? He's gotta be tired by now?
    A bottle of white wine, @ 2 cups soy sauce, brown sugar five cups,salt two cups of kosher or non iodized, worshestershire 1/4 cup, garlic powder, pepper.
    Take a crisper drawer out of you refridge, toss the veggies aside and fill with the above. stir to dissolve sugars and fill with cut fish. Add cold water to cover the fish and throw back in fridge for 10 hours. Rinse off fish and let them glaze over for an hour before throwing into smoker. A jalapeana pepper added to the canning jar helps and so does a tablespoon of olive oil too. Good luck

Sounds good!! Are you smoking these before you can them, or just can them. I got quite a few silvers left I could do this to. Wonder how halibut would be like this also.

Default Chico,...

This is done to get them ready for smoking. Once smoked, cool and then peel off skin, throw into a jar, throw in 1/2 jelapena pepper, tablespoon olive oil and can. Your smoking is only 3 pans, maybe an hour or hour and 1/2. Light smoke cause the canning is actually cooking your fish again. That is why they call this light smoking. Keep it moist, keep it sealed and you will be sending me thanks, once done. Good luck. Pm if more info is needed.

If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    This is done to get them ready for smoking. Once smoked, cool and then peel off skin, throw into a jar, throw in 1/2 jelapena pepper, tablespoon olive oil and can. Your smoking is only 3 pans, maybe an hour or hour and 1/2. Light smoke cause the canning is actually cooking your fish again. That is why they call this light smoking. Keep it moist, keep it sealed and you will be sending me thanks, once done. Good luck. Pm if more info is needed.

Thanks Whop!!!! I need to do this next time home.

Are you guys using fresh Jalepeno, or canned???

Default Fresh

would not want to use canned cause they would be too soft and mushy when you went to open up a can to eat.

I use canned jalapenos (3 or 4 slices per half pint jar) and yeah they are soft and mushy but I eat em and like it... heck try it both ways - you can always give away the canned variety if you turn your nose up at it! for me it's just way too convenient - I would need a lot of fresh jalapenos to pack in when I do 6 or 7 cases of half pint jars

oh and for recipe I use the salmon university recipe - dry rub of simple brown sugar and salt plus some garlic. The smoking time is cut back to just an hour when I am jarring it