Thread: Best projectile for .58 cal Zouave?

Default Best projectile for .58 cal Zouave?

I have a .58 cal Zouave. Has three lands and grooves - cut very wide, with a shallow depth, and a very light twist.

Does anyone have any opinions to share as to what they feel the best projectile would be?

I have shot R.E.A.L. by Lee through it, as well as hollow based minnies and of course patched .570 round ball. The R.E.A.L. somersaults all the way to the target, and this is probably because it was designed for a different form of rifled barrell. I have seen the R.E.A.L. work like a charm in the hawken and in guns with more modern rifling. The minie doesnt do too bad, and the ticking-patched round ball performs rather well with tallow, bore butter or crisco. RB really seems to work well with just a hint of crisco on the patch. The minie has a tendency to "wobble" according to the holes in the paper down range, but not on every shot. I have been using charges of 40 grains, 60 grains, 70 grains, 80 grains, 90 grains and 110 grains. I would like to find some additional projectiles to try in the musket, and I wonder if anyone else has experimented with a rifle like this one. I would really like to find a slug that will outperform the military style minie in this weapon.

I haven't tried them in a Zouave, but I've been really pleased with the Lee Improved minie in all four of my 58 cal rifles. It's got a larger meplat than standard, giving it better performance on game, and it's got a little thicker skirt so you can drive it a little faster than standard. I went with the .578 diameter rather than .575 for a little more grip in the barrel when carrying it in the field- just so there's less chance for the minie to migrate off the powder charge with jarring. Takes a little more effort to load, but worth it in my book.

The rifling of the Zouave was designed to perform best with the standard thin wall minie with 70 grs FFg. I suggest using the .577" 530gr Lyman Minie from mould number #577611

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I haven't tried them in a Zouave, but I've been really pleased with the Lee Improved minie in all four of my 58 cal rifles. It's got a larger meplat than standard, giving it better performance on game, and it's got a little thicker skirt so you can drive it a little faster than standard. I went with the .578 diameter rather than .575 for a little more grip in the barrel when carrying it in the field- just so there's less chance for the minie to migrate off the powder charge with jarring. Takes a little more effort to load, but worth it in my book.

BrownBear,
    Have you been using that improved minnie in your GRRW .58? I remember in an old post you told me that it has a little bit of a "choked" bore and had to resort to using a .562 rb. I have the same issue with my Kodiak in .58, and I really want to try that improved minnie. How much harder is it to load? I'm thinking that it will also help avoid a bullet migrating off the powder charge in the off barrel during recoil, but if it loads too hard it may not be worth it to me. I have just been deliberating on getting the .575 or the .578 mold for myself.

I haven't tried it in the GRRW because the choked bore won't pass a BARE .575 ball- no patch at all. And bare .570 balls hang up about half the time. The .562 balls patched with .018 ticking start normally, then are really easy to push down the full diameter bore.

In my two Big Boars and the custom, the .578 has to be lined up pretty straight to get started, then gives noticeably more resistance seating down the bore. Satisfyingly more as a matter of fact. Two of my hunting pards have GM 58 cal barrels on their TC Hawkens, and next time we shoot together I'm going to get them to try the oversize.

BTW- I'm using a double dip of LEE Liquid Alox lube on those minies, as someone once recommended. It's not messy, and results in a thinner coating that doesn't interfere with seating like I've had happen with the hard version of bore butter.

I have a 58 cal Enfield musketoon which likes the 58 cal hornady great plains bullets. I use 70 grains of pyrodex RS and have been happy with the results. ( 90 grains and up causes cheek bruises and severe fllinching.)

Question Twist

What is the rate of twist?

The rifle is a parker hale reproduction enfield musketoon, and I'm pretty sure the twist rate is 1-48. The barrel was cut down, below the bayonet lug, so instead of a 24 inch barrel the one I have only has a 20 inch barrel. This particular gun does better with the hornady great plains bullet than wth a patched round ball. I also tried 58 cal buffalo "ball-ets" but they wouldn't pattern for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I haven't tried it in the GRRW because the choked bore won't pass a BARE .575 ball- no patch at all. And bare .570 balls hang up about half the time. The .562 balls patched with .018 ticking start normally, then are really easy to push down the full diameter bore.

In my two Big Boars and the custom, the .578 has to be lined up pretty straight to get started, then gives noticeably more resistance seating down the bore. Satisfyingly more as a matter of fact. Two of my hunting pards have GM 58 cal barrels on their TC Hawkens, and next time we shoot together I'm going to get them to try the oversize.

BTW- I'm using a double dip of LEE Liquid Alox lube on those minies, as someone once recommended. It's not messy, and results in a thinner coating that doesn't interfere with seating like I've had happen with the hard version of bore butter.
    Are you saying that you have 2 TC Big boars? If you ever get bored with them, you can send me one to free up some room in your safe for other things.....

On a more serious note, are you using straight Alox or a thinned version? I use a thinned version of it (2 coats tumbled on) on a lot of my cast bullets for smokeless and it works WONDERFULLY. I would think that the straight alox would get a little gummy.

You'd have to wrestle with my son-in-law for one of them. He's deployed at the moment, but has already served notice that I really only have one. ;-)

I've been using the straight liquid alox, and yeah, it's gummier than I would like. How are you thinning yours? Sounds like a good idea.

Thumbs up 1/48

With that twist the gun should shoot conicals well.....Maxi Ball and Great plains and the Buffalo Bullets.......I like about 110gr of 777 2F....with musket caps.......in my T/C Big Boar and the T/C maxi Ball and Wonder Lube. Makes a dandy bear over bait load.

Ballets you need a faster Twist......the Hornady GP is a good bullet!

To thin out the alox I use 45% alox, 45% johnson's paste wax cooked down and 10% mineral spirits. All you have to do is run it under some hot water and drip very little over the bullets and swish them around in a cool whip container. After they dry I push thru size then tumble again. It is a very thin coating, dries very well and is not tacky or gummy at all. No build up in my seating die, no leading and no mess! Straight alox is a little messy to deal with for me. Here is a link to the site I learned this from: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=tumble+lubing

I use it for a non TL bullet (lee 255-452RNFP) out of a puma 92 in 454 casull- I have pushed them to 1200FPS and no leading as of yet and good accuracy too. Give it a shot, Ill never use straight LLA again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Bush Hunter View Post
    ......the Hornady GP is a good bullet!
    I'll go one further. It's a GREAT bullet. Sad to say their site seems to indicate that they're not making it in 58 cal any more. The way it's disappearing from store shelves, you better grab any you see.

Lyman makes a mold for the very similar Plains Bullet, but sadly it's only available in 50 and 54 cal.

LEE Precision has a custom mold service. The high setup fee stops most people from using it, but second hand word tells me that they have a design for a 58 similar to the Plains Bullet, and that if you use a design that they already have on the books, you don't have to pay the setup fee. I haven't given that the truth test, but am more inclined to do so every day.

Evidently NEI has a mold for a 58 cal maxi, but that's second hand.

You'll find TC Maxis and Maxi Hunters on the shelf at Sportsmans and Cabelas around the country now and then, but they also list them on their site.