Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new 1895GBL

Default My new 1895GBL

When I heard the Marlin plant was shutting down I accelerated my plan to purchase an 1895 45/70...

To my way of thinking anything other than North Haven CT on the side of the barrel just wouldn't look right.

here are a couple of TERRIBLE pics lol:

Ordered some brass and dies and got some powder and primers so I am itching to roll a few and see how she does...

Default great

Great looking rifle!

Thank you...

Really excited to get out and shoot it...the laminate gives it a real "solid" feel in my hands and it shoulders perfectly.

This is my first lever action, my first Marlin, and my first, 45/70...

A lot of firsts lol

Default I don't think....

I don't think you like that gun. In fact to save you the heart burn I think you should sell it to me. Just for you own protection of course.

All kidding aside nice looking gun, enjoy. If I could find on sitting on the shelf Id probably blow the dust off my credit card. Happy shooting!
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Remember the Hornady Leverevoultion bass is a bit short of standard so its not the best for reloading

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Remember the Hornady Leverevoultion bass is a bit short of standard so its not the best for reloading
    Thank you for the reminder...

I am not a fan of the leverevolution ammo at all.

I have 200 Starline cases to load up once my dies and bullets get here...

byrd I think you are going to have to warm up that credit card this one is staying where its at for a mighty long time if I have anything to say about it

That is a beautiful gun.
    I think you will really enjoy it.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Very nice! I've got an 1895STP on the way for a friend of mine.

Thank you both...

I really liked the blued/brown laminate look which is why I went with the GBL

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the 1895 variants though.

nice Marlin, I picked up an SBL and a XLR, both are nice shooters.
    Have fun with her.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Beautiful rifle! I plan on picking up a GBL...right after I get my SBL.

why? I don't know, but I need both.

I gotta say, if I was a Marlin Lever fan...that's the kinda rifle I would want. That's GREAT looking wood on that rig. Nice.
    It may be a collectors rig one day as well.

They'll be called the "Pre-New York" Marlins.
    (or "pre-Shanghai")

Smart purchase.
    May not want to shoot it because of collector value. (kidding!)

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    I gotta say, if I was a Marlin Lever fan...that's the kinda rifle I would want. That's GREAT looking wood on that rig. Nice.
    It may be a collectors rig one day as well.

They'll be called the "Pre-New York" Marlins.
    (or "pre-Shanghai")

Smart purchase.
    May not want to shoot it because of collector value. (kidding!)
    TY for the the compliments...

The collector value went out the window because I couldn't wait to get out and shoot it...LOL

Been working on a Barnes 250gr. TSX FN load to comply with the "Condor Range" nonlead law here in CA. Funny thing about the CA Condor is we rounded them all up and sent them to AZ...

But such is life...

Last shots fired across the chronograph were 2357fps AVG. with a ES of 15fps. I think this load may work on a deer

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    Funny thing about the CA Condor is we rounded them all up and sent them to AZ...

But such is life...

Last shots fired across the chronograph were 2357fps AVG. with a ES of 15fps. I think this load may work on a deer
    LMAO! Yup, I continue to get GREAT pictures of them up at the Canyon and the Vermillian Cliffs! One of my passions is wildlife photography.
    It satisfies my need to "track" and "stalk" and "hunt"...and the only season I DON'T hunt is hunting season itself (although I do go out with my buddy during archery season here to get great ELK photos and some campfire bickering).

My "guide" work is as a Grand Canyon Guide and also (Northern Arizona)guided Wildlife Photography Expedition stuff. (I do some archery here, and lots of "tactical" shooting, but mostly "outdoors" camera stuff). Still prefer Northern AZ to the Desert to the south here. (carry my .38sp, with 1 snakshot and then 4 Hollowpoints, but never have had to use it). My last rifle hunting was in Alaska 10years ago. (yes, I miss it!). Still want to do an Alaska Sheep hunt (rifle) that I've never got to do yet. (just w/a camera).

I believe that Marlin would be adequate for Deer, alright!!!

And it sure is a looker. I DO like the laminated stock.
    Needs a "saddle ring" though!

I must of missed that Marlin was shutting down the plant. When are they stopping production?
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I must of missed that Marlin was shutting down the plant. When are they stopping production?
    I don't know for sure just that it was announced...

They are supposedly moving production to the old Remington Plant in Illion NY.

I wanted a North Haven, CT gun and I really like the looks of that GBL. So far it has been everything I wanted in my first levergun. The laminate stock gives it solid feel in the hands and it shoulders perfectly for me.

I am thinking about adding a Leupold QR mount and rings and putting my old Redfield 4x Widefield on it as well.

and a saddle ring. (LOL!)

Here's the announcment I found and had posted in another thread:

There's two SDG's and one STP model here in town. Wish I could snag them all before their value goes up.

Yup! the "pre-shanghai" models will be worth some $$$ someday.

I just got off the phone with Wild West Guns; I was hoping to pick up a GBL this weekend, and they said while they usually get Marlins in by the hundreds, they only received 2 in the last shipment, because they [Marlin] are moving. I asked the gal if she new where and she also confirmed NY.

So it looks like this is already effecting the Marlin market, in regards to availability. I imagine that means the price will begin to rise shortly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast