Thread: Browning BAR Lightweight Stalker POS

Former Palmer Resident, currently back in Northern NH

Default Browning BAR Lightweight Stalker POS

Just a heads up. I bought a brandy new BAR in northern NH two days ago and have some serious concerns with it. I have attached my email to Scott Grange at Browning below.

I will post any response I get.

"Hi Scott,

I bought a brand new BAR from LL Cote's in Errol, NH on Tuesday afternoon. I just returned from the range with my new BAR and have some serious concerns. It is effectively a single shot rifle. I own 3 BAR's made prior to the MKII series and have never had a jam. I cleaned the gas system as per the manual's instructions before going to the range. I tried 3 different types of factory ammo (in 2 different bullet weights, 150 and 180 grains). Still no luck. Also, the rifle shoots 3 feet to the left at 25 yards. I inspected the front and rear sights before attempting to adjust them and found that the rear sight was adjusted almost completely to the right (there were 2 clicks left of available adjustments) and the front sight was drifted as far to the left as the dovetail would allow. These adjustments are out of the box. I just contacted Alan at the service center in MO. and he identified the rifle as being 2005 manufacture. He stated that a rifle that old would be considered used and that Browning had no idea what could have happened to it during the past 5 years. That being said I was told that it would be up to me to pay shipping and insurance to the service center and then it would be a mystery as to what would be done about it.

At this point I would like to return the rifle for e full refund. The dealer said that decision is up to Browning.

I look forward to your response."

Thumbs down That sucks man!

Dealer won't stand behind a 5 year old unit sold as new? That sounds not very reputable on the dealerís part to me, if itís out of warrantee it should have been sold as used or NOS (new old stock) not new. I hope you used a credit card in case you need to contest the payment.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

If the sights were like that before you purchased it I would have had a bring back in the works with the shop before buying. Good luck on a fix and keep us up-dated

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If the sights were like that before you purchased it I would have had a bring back in the works with the shop before buying. Good luck on a fix and keep us up-dated
    I've always had very good luck with Brownings and did't notice the front sight drifted all the way over due to the hood (which I always remove as soon as I get home).

The dealer has offered store credit.... We'll see.

Thanks for the kind words. I will post an outcome shortly.

If the rifle is new, the warrenty does not run until the rifle is sold by the dealer. I do not care how long the rifle was held in stock.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

The clerk wanted me to send it to Browning so I left a voicemail for the store owner. He called me back within the hour and was extremely pleasant and helpful. He offered to do whatever I wanted. I still very much want another Lightweight Stalker so I am going to exchange it for another one. Hey, call it a guilty pleasure. I already have more Model 70's than I need and a few tactical M700's as well. The BAR's are sure fun to jump shoot deer with. I've never, ever had a malfunction with a BAR. I detail strip them at the end of every hunting season (and use them off and on all year for predators, etc) and they have always been as reliable as my Garands, M1A's, etc. I feel pretty positive that this is just a lemon. They all let one by eventually.

The service manager at Browning called me today as well and offered a UPS call tag if I wanted to send it back. He said that he wanted to get it back regardless of what happened as he wants to find out exactly what is wrong with it.

I wonder if the barrel is a few degrees shy of being turned in completely and properly indexed. This would put the sights AND the gas port out of alignment.

Just a guess.

Sorry about the Browning problems. It is refreshing that both the store manager and Browning customer service are concerned. I especially like it when the manufacturer said they wanted to look at the gun no matter what happens so they can see what went wrong.

That is the way customer service should be.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I went back today and although the website showed a few in stock there were none to be had so I got my money back. Maybe I'll build that 6.8 AR I've been thinking about. Or the new Bushmaster 308 AR.....

I almost swapped it for an M70 Extreme Weather but I don't really care for synthetic/SS bolt guns. I have a 338 M70 I got at Walmart in Matsu 12 years ago that I use if I need a SS rifle. Too many bolt guns already so I'm holding out for something else. More of a guilty pleasure gun I think.